Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 12:05:18 am

Author Topic: Commerce into Med/Dent  (Read 2064 times)  Share 

massachusetts8

Commerce into Med/Dent
« on: November 28, 2013, 01:50:19 pm »
So I've been asking the unimelb website but I'm not getting a satisfactory response
Is it possible to do Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry (i.e. prerequisities for med/dent) as breadth subjects during second yead of Bachelor of Commerce Course? During first year of Bachelor of Commerce would I be able to do the prerequisities for these subjects? How does this affect the timetable? Or am I just being too stupid and am gonna tire myself out? ???

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
Re: Commerce into Med/Dent
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 02:06:53 pm »
Doubt it...?

Why don't you do Science with a breadth track in Commerce subjects instead?

LeviLamp

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +151
  • School: (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ❤
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 02:10:39 pm »
+2
Possible to get them done before you finish :D
Year One: Chemistry 1 (semester one), Genetics and the Evolution of Life (semester two)
Year Two: Chemistry 2 (summer), Biology of Cells and Organisms (semester one), Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (semester two)
Year Three: Human Physiology (semester one), Principles of Human Structure (semester two)
That's without using your remaining one breadth and can be completed with just one breadth per main semester in three years :)
No overloading required!

EDIT: If you didn't do highschool chem, Chem Fundamentals in sem 1, then Chem 2 in sem 2 alongside Genetics/Evo (you will possibly need to overload in year two with genetics/evo if that isn't possible)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:16:30 pm by LeviLamp »
VCE: Chemistry | Biology (2011) | English (2011) | Environmental Science | Mathematical Methods CAS

2013-2015: BSc [Zoology] @ UoM | DLang [German - DISCONTINUED]
2016: GDSc [Botany] @ UoM
2017-2018: MSc [Biosciences - Zoology] @ UoM

Summer: BOTA30006

S1: BOTA20001 | EVSC20004 | BOTA30003 | BIOL90001

S2: GEOG20009 | BOTA30002 | BOTA30005 | EVSC20003 | NRMT90002

Subject and major reviews incoming :)

massachusetts8

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 02:16:05 pm »
Year One: Chemistry 1 (semester one), Genetics and the Evolution of Life (semester two)
Year Two: Chemistry 2 (summer), Biology of Cells and Organisms (semester one), Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (semester two)
Year Three: Human Physiology (semester one), Principles of Human Structure (semester two)
That's without using your remaining one breadth and can be completed with just one breadth per main semester in three years :)
No overloading required!
Awesome!! Thank you so much, so do you reckon if I did that with the commerce course and GAMSAT I could get into med or dent without having to do biomed or science?

Doubt it...?

Why don't you do Science with a breadth track in Commerce subjects instead?
I'm trying to stay away from biomed or science but that is a good option so thanks! :D

LeviLamp

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +151
  • School: (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ❤
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 02:17:53 pm »
There's no reason why you couldn't, but I'd make sure you talked to the uni. If they say no, try insisting, since the only real requirement for the postgrad courses subject-wise is those three second-year subs :)
VCE: Chemistry | Biology (2011) | English (2011) | Environmental Science | Mathematical Methods CAS

2013-2015: BSc [Zoology] @ UoM | DLang [German - DISCONTINUED]
2016: GDSc [Botany] @ UoM
2017-2018: MSc [Biosciences - Zoology] @ UoM

Summer: BOTA30006

S1: BOTA20001 | EVSC20004 | BOTA30003 | BIOL90001

S2: GEOG20009 | BOTA30002 | BOTA30005 | EVSC20003 | NRMT90002

Subject and major reviews incoming :)

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 02:20:54 pm »
Just curious, is there any reason why you would prefer to choose Commerce instead of Science/Biomed?
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

massachusetts8

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 02:24:22 pm »
There's no reason why you couldn't, but I'd make sure you talked to the uni. If they say no, try insisting, since the only real requirement for the postgrad courses subject-wise is those three second-year subs :)

Cool beans! :) Thank you very much, I appreciate it greatly! :D

Just curious, is there any reason why you would prefer to choose Commerce instead of Science/Biomed?
To be honest I never really liked the sciences at school and prefered Accounting over Bio and Chem and I'm tossing up between being an Accountant or a Dentist. I can't choose which one I'd like to do more so yeah might as well have my foot in both fields. :D

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 03:14:34 pm »
+8
If you've never liked the sciences, you're probably not going to like health sciences and dentistry...

If you go with Commerce, I doubt you'll be able to do an Accounting major AND all 7 of those biology/chemistry subjects to meet eligibility requirements. This is because Accounting requires you to do a lot of compulsory subjects, and these take up a fair bit of your breadth component. For example, you need to do 3 law breadth subjects in order to achieve accreditation - you only have 1 spare breadth subject if you choose to do all 7 bio/chem subjects. See the sample course plan here: http://bcom.unimelb.edu.au/majors/accounting_major

In your first semester of Commerce, you could always do one of the biology/chemistry subjects to try it out and see what you think. If it's something you like, then go ahead and do the other 6 subjects to qualify for the postgrad (but also double check with your student centre). If you do the other 6 subjects, you will need to do another major that doesn't have excessive requirements, eg. management or economics. Or, you might even decide to do a quick switch to the Science degree.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 04:06:40 pm »
+1
A friend of mine studied Commerce undergrad at UoM and is now in his second year of the MD! So it definitely can be done. The thing you need to be wary of is GAMSAT preparation, as Commerce really offers you very little in that regard. This will be helped somewhat by doing the med prerequisites but you're still coming from behind your competitors in the GAMSAT, especially with physics which is not one of the prereqs.

Doing the prerequisites shouldn't be an issue, as has been discussed above. Fortunately Commerce students can take up to 8 breadth subjects, whereas the other undergrad degrees are maxed out at 6.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 04:21:03 pm by charmanderp »
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

aa_ryan

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 04:08:01 pm »
+1
I'm actually doing commerce at the moment, majoring in eco/finance, and I am doing the medicine prereqs through the breadth program - so yes it is definitely possible! Also I emailed the MDHS student centre and they said I am able to do this to gain entry into graduate medicine.

The only downside is that I have to do a summer subject in January after the first year through the CAP program because there's a limit of 3 level-1 breadth subjects for commerce.

As mentioned above, the one thing you have to watch out for is physics.. perhaps buy the textbook and study it yourself during the holidays
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 04:26:31 pm by aa_ryan »

2012: English [47], Legal [45], Accounting [43]. Economics [41]
2013-15: BCom (Eco/Finance) at University of Melbourne

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 04:13:12 pm »
To clarify what I said in my post, it's definitely possible OP, but not with an Accounting major.

aa_ryan

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 04:28:59 pm »
+2
No overloading required!

EDIT: If you didn't do highschool chem, Chem Fundamentals in sem 1, then Chem 2 in sem 2 alongside Genetics/Evo (you will possibly need to overload in year two with genetics/evo if that isn't possible)

From what I understand this is correct, however there is a limit of 3 level-1 breadth subjects in Commerce, so one of the level-1 science subjects will have to be done through the CAP program (I did chem 2 through this).

2012: English [47], Legal [45], Accounting [43]. Economics [41]
2013-15: BCom (Eco/Finance) at University of Melbourne

gummo

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 06:30:42 pm »
Since you guys are talking about the Accounting major... I was wondering if it's absolutely necessary to do the 3 law breadth that are required for accreditation? I've already maxed out my level-1 breadth (I was originally thinking of doing an Eco/Finance major, not Accounting). I know I can do Principles of Business Law as a CAP subject for like ~$4400 to meet the prereq for the other two law breadth (which I can do as part of my BCom) but would it be a better option to do the law subjects in the CPA/IPA/ICAA program after I graduate? Thanks for any advice.
2012: English [49] Economics [43] French [38] Methods [37] Business Management [39]
ATAR: 98.40
2013: BComm @ UoM

aaackk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 06:58:20 pm »
+1
You need the 3 law subjects in order to meet the prerequisite for the CA program as an accredited accounting degree.

Alternatively you can do a conversion degree, or just pass the entrance exam:

http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/Candidates/The-Chartered-Accountants-Program/Entry-requirements/Non-accounting-degree-entry-pathway

Some useful links in that link

massachusetts8

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 07:46:00 pm »
Every one of you has provided me with very useful information thank you very much! :D