Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:46:15 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1240306 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #1350 on: January 28, 2017, 04:18:31 pm »
hi

i have to read RICHARD 3.
how should i approach reading the text and how should i push myself to read it.
furthermore i cant seem to get into the zone to start reading, i cant remember the last time i read a proper book.

thanks

I think the best thing should be to attack it in small chunks with a dedicated schedule. Do two scenes a day, at the same time every day! Or something similar. Having that dedicated time every day should help you get into that 'zone,' far easier than not knowing how much you have to do :)

If you want to analyse as you go, then jot down one or two lines per scene that stand out to you. Write down any techniques you can think of that go with those lines.

Reading two scenes and jotting down a few lines of quotes/techniques shouldn't take more than half an hour a day, super achievable! ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1351 on: January 28, 2017, 05:02:44 pm »
hi

furthermore i cant seem to get into the zone to start reading, i cant remember the last time i read a proper book.

thanks

If you're really struggling to get into the Shakespearean English, try the No Fear Shakespeare version to find a more accessible way into the text. I also recommend watching a play or film version of Richard III if you can, because that'll be beneficial for you to visualise what's happening in the text as you read!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Ci101

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1352 on: January 28, 2017, 05:33:34 pm »
hi

thanks

Edit: Just saw the post from elysepopplewell and realise we have similar advice (her's is just way more concise).  Hope this hopes anyway.

Hey! Keep in mind Shakespeare's plays are designed to be performed not read. It's not going to be as interesting reading it, as a lot of the humour and drama comes from the performance. I would suggest tracking down a performance of the play and watching that as it's easier to understand the dialogue when its performed. Maybe keep a copy of the book with you to read along while you watch it. Then afterwards you can go back through the text and analyse key scenes and quotes.

If you want to read the whole text/understand a key scene I often like using No Fear Shakespeare for Shakespeare texts (you've probably heard of this but I thought I should suggest it just in case). Essentially, it splits the book into two columns: on the left side it has the original text and on the right side it has the modern text. I would suggest reading a passage of the modern text first so you understand the basics and then reading a passage of the original text. This makes it easier to unpack the original text and makes it more accessible, since you can actually understand what's happening. So for example you read a sentence from the modern text "Now all of my family’s troubles have come to a glorious end, thanks to my brother, King Edward IV." then read the same sentence in the original text "Now is the winter of our discontent/Made glorious summer by this son of York." It makes it a lot easier to understand the original text and more importantly appreciate the beautiful writing. Bear in mind that the modern text is only a simple interpretation of the text and doesn't use the same techniques. It leaves out the nuance of the writing but it's good for understanding the basics.

Here’s the online version of No Fear Shakespeare: Richard 3 http://nfs.sparknotes.com/richardiii/page_2.html. If you prefer paper books it’s might be in your school library or you could buy the book for $10.

Also in terms of motivating yourself to read in general I have few tips. It often takes a while to find ways to get in the reading zone.
1. Use timers. This is similar to Jamon’s suggestion. Put a timer on for a certain amount (that could be 15 minutes or 30 minutes or an hour) and read as many pages as you can. Then take a break and try again later that day or another day. This way you feel accomplished, like “yes I read at least 15 minutes” and you can take it day by day.
2. Have an award system. Reward yourself for little accomplishments to keep yourself motivated. For example, you could set a goal that every 5 chapters you watch a youtube video or have some chocolate.
3. Remember it's only one year. Even if you hate the book let your frustration at having to read it fuel you to get it over with and then smash your exam.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:36:37 pm by Ci101 »

Chemystery

• Forum Regular
  • Caity x
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1353 on: January 28, 2017, 05:48:59 pm »
+1

hi

thanks

I found actively using stickies for quotes while reading was a real motivator for me - like every 5 quotes I'd go and get myself some choccy!

As said above, it is largely a motivational process of rewarding yourself and just know that by the time you come to then end of the HSC it's really only quotes you remember anyway! But in saying that, try your best to get into the book for contextualisation to get deeper into responses, and Sparknotes and No Fear Shakespeare are absolutely perfect for these (I did The Tempest for my AoS Shakespearean text so yay)
Reaching for the stars ♥
Music 1: 78
----------------------------
2017:
Mathematics
Mathematics Ext 1
Biology
Physics

Noorijaz

• Adventurer
« Reply #1354 on: January 29, 2017, 11:37:30 am »
+1
Thanks heaps guys
Much appreciated
I'll implement these tricks asap

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #1355 on: January 30, 2017, 04:26:46 pm »
+1
Hey there! There's no best way to write an essay, but what you have described is the way that I wrote my own AOS essay! I didn't use the exact stages you did so to say, but I took that approach of looking into sequential order of the plot and analysing how it impacted discovery. Are you by any chances studying Go Back To Where you Came From?

I'm not, I'm doing Ang Lee's Life of Pi...
Thanks for your reply!! Your legal studies lecture was amazing :)
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

asd987

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1356 on: January 30, 2017, 09:21:27 pm »
Hi,
I have a question regarding writing essays with quotes in the question. e.g. 2016 paper 2 asked to make reference to particular quotes within texts. So how would you generally go about including these quotes in your essay. e.g. would you talk about it introduction or body paragraphs to further your arguments or would you structure your whole essay around them. I'm talking specifically about Richard III so would you still include themes such as appearance vs reality, ambition etc
Thanks

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #1357 on: January 30, 2017, 10:24:43 pm »
+1
Hi,
I have a question regarding writing essays with quotes in the question. e.g. 2016 paper 2 asked to make reference to particular quotes within texts. So how would you generally go about including these quotes in your essay. e.g. would you talk about it introduction or body paragraphs to further your arguments or would you structure your whole essay around them. I'm talking specifically about Richard III so would you still include themes such as appearance vs reality, ambition etc
Thanks

Hey! I would recommend using the quote/s in your introduction, body paragraphs and conclusion. You shouldn't have to change your prepared ideas, so you can still do the themes you want, its more about using those quotes in your analysis to prove those themes and further your argument, as you said. Good luck! 😃
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1358 on: January 31, 2017, 11:25:55 pm »
Hi, we have been assigned a narrative task to do and I was wondering if I could have some help in a describing a particular scene.
I wanted to describe a scene at the end of school after rain and appeal to the senses. I was hoping to appeal to sight, sound and smell but i'm not sure what the perfect word would be or how to structure a good descriptive scene. I've tried to start something but I'm struggling :/

I inhale. The smell of ….permeates through the air after humid rain. Fragments of light peer through spaces of the veranda. A bustle of sounds  echo through the hallways.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1359 on: February 01, 2017, 12:21:32 am »
Hi, we have been assigned a narrative task to do and I was wondering if I could have some help in a describing a particular scene.
I wanted to describe a scene at the end of school after rain and appeal to the senses. I was hoping to appeal to sight, sound and smell but i'm not sure what the perfect word would be or how to structure a good descriptive scene. I've tried to start something but I'm struggling :/

I inhale. The smell of ….permeates through the air after humid rain. Fragments of light peer through spaces of the veranda. A bustle of sounds  echo through the hallways.

I think you are on the right track! Be careful not to be too broad with your descriptions - What sorts of sounds do you hear? Also, try show not tell. Don't say it was raining - Describe the leftover water droplets resting peacefully on the windows and the doors (for example) :)

Obviously I can't write this for you, so what I recommend you do is to write a huge amount of descriptive sentences on the scene. A paragraphs worth, even 2 or 3, like wayyy more than you actually need. Then, pick and choose the bits you like best. I used to do this when describing scenes because it meant I FULLY fleshed out what a scene looked like, smelled like, etc; and then picked the sentences that painted the picture best for the audience :)

Besides that there is no 'right' structure to a descriptive passage - Just trial and error until you like what you read! :)

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1360 on: February 01, 2017, 09:01:30 am »
Ah i see now thank you  ;D
I have a quick question is there a particular word you can use to describe how after it rains the atmosphere is  kind of
Foggy, misty,cloudy ? How you would show not tell that its misty ?

I think you are on the right track! Be careful not to be too broad with your descriptions - What sorts of sounds do you hear? Also, try show not tell. Don't say it was raining - Describe the leftover water droplets resting peacefully on the windows and the doors (for example) :)

Obviously I can't write this for you, so what I recommend you do is to write a huge amount of descriptive sentences on the scene. A paragraphs worth, even 2 or 3, like wayyy more than you actually need. Then, pick and choose the bits you like best. I used to do this when describing scenes because it meant I FULLY fleshed out what a scene looked like, smelled like, etc; and then picked the sentences that painted the picture best for the audience :)

Besides that there is no 'right' structure to a descriptive passage - Just trial and error until you like what you read! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1361 on: February 01, 2017, 09:42:22 am »
Ah i see now thank you  ;D
I have a quick question is there a particular word you can use to describe how after it rains the atmosphere is  kind of
Foggy, misty,cloudy ? How you would show not tell that its misty ?

Those words work! Well if you think of a misty environment, you think of it being humid, not being able to see very far, there's dew on the grass, etc etc, that sort of stuff :)

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #1362 on: February 03, 2017, 12:57:33 am »
Hey guys, is there a technique in this quote: “she breathed a quick prayer that life might be long” (from the short story The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin)?

Edit: and also this one "It was not a glance of reflection, but rather indicated a suspension of intelligent thought."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:17:13 am by kiwiberry »
HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

parthie

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1363 on: February 03, 2017, 09:42:29 am »
Hey guys, is there a technique in this quote: “she breathed a quick prayer that life might be long” (from the short story The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin)?

Edit: and also this one "It was not a glance of reflection, but rather indicated a suspension of intelligent thought."

you could try something like lexical choice or diction, second person, tense
hope this helps

parthie

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1364 on: February 03, 2017, 09:46:34 am »
Does anyone have like a pretty good list of discovery concepts??