Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:56:05 pm

Author Topic: Is this course worth it or not?...  (Read 1106 times)  Share 

DeezNuts

• Trendsetter
  • 'where must we go, we who wander the wasteland'
  • Respect: +6
  • School: Tha Streetz
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Is this course worth it or not?...
« on: February 18, 2016, 06:54:50 pm »
+1
Hey guys!

So just planning out a general outline of my degree and if everything works out, I'd probably be able to take a Diploma of liberal arts in Philosophy next year.  Although philosophy is a strong interest of mine, I'm not sure if its worth the extra 16k-18k in student debt. In terms of cost, it is the equivalent of a single Arts degree but only provides the equivalent of a half a degree  (diploma only accommodates a single major, whereas an arts degree would allow for two majors).

For reasons that aren't really necessary to explain right now, I don't think I'll be able to take philosophy units next year other than through this diploma. So all things considered is the diploma worth it? Would you say it's better to perhaps pursue this elsewhere later down the track? I'm just not sure how else I can self learn philosophy in a structured teaching environment..

So just wanted to hear some opinions/thoughts/advice from you wise atarnoters ;)

Also, I've hear that taking philosophy is beneficial for Law students? is this true? would a law student be at a disadvantage if he/she didn't take philosophy?

thanks!
Literature (47) ~ Psych (43) ~ Bio (42)
Tutoring available, just PM me if interested :)
[Limited spots remaining]

'We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.'

Darth_Pepe

Re: Is this course worth it or not?...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 05:55:39 pm »
Hey guys!

So just planning out a general outline of my degree and if everything works out, I'd probably be able to take a Diploma of liberal arts in Philosophy next year.  Although philosophy is a strong interest of mine, I'm not sure if its worth the extra 16k-18k in student debt. In terms of cost, it is the equivalent of a single Arts degree but only provides the equivalent of a half a degree  (diploma only accommodates a single major, whereas an arts degree would allow for two majors).

For reasons that aren't really necessary to explain right now, I don't think I'll be able to take philosophy units next year other than through this diploma. So all things considered is the diploma worth it? Would you say it's better to perhaps pursue this elsewhere later down the track? I'm just not sure how else I can self learn philosophy in a structured teaching environment..

So just wanted to hear some opinions/thoughts/advice from you wise atarnoters ;)

Also, I've hear that taking philosophy is beneficial for Law students? is this true? would a law student be at a disadvantage if he/she didn't take philosophy?

thanks!

Why not major in Philosophy in Arts?

A law student would 100% not be at a disadvantage if they didnt take philosophy. I am around many lawyers all the time and i have never once heard about philosophy.