Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 01:07:37 am

Author Topic: The Kite Runner essay - comments?  (Read 5757 times)  Share 

Matt The Rat

The Kite Runner essay - comments?
« on: March 04, 2008, 11:30:27 pm »
Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone would be willing to give their 2c on my draft and any areas which need improving? Thanks in advance.

Assef's 'eyes betrayed him. When I looked into them, the façade faltered, revealed a glimpse of the madness hiding behind them'.

'Assef is not mad; he is pure evil.'

Do you agree?

Khaled Hosseini’s fictional memoir, ‘The Kite Runner', follows the bildungsroman tale of Amir across his tumultuous and disturbed childhood to his path of redemption from his "past of unatoned sins" during his adult years. A pivotal character in the progress of events in ‘The Kite Runner' is Assef, the "childhood bully" of the Wazir Akhbar Kahn district. Assef is present from the beginning of the novel through to close to its conclusion and over the entire duration he clearly demonstrates that it is pure evil which is the driving force behind his will and not mere madness. The racially motivated rape of Hassan following the kite tournament is one of the initial indicators of Assef’s evil side and this carries right through into his adult life with Sohrab and countless other unnamed children. With the Taliban occupation of Afghanistan, Assef also comes into his element with the unmitigated freedom for the slaughter of untold numbers of innocent men, women and children. Hosseini also draws a clear connection between Assed and the evil tyrannical dictator Hitler. Assef’s boyhood obsession with the former German Furher can be seen clearly as a mimicking effect between Assef and Hitler, with both having followed similar paths whilst in positions of power.

The focal point of the novel is the rape of Hassan by Assef, which sets in motion the defining events of the story. For both Hassan and Sohrab's rape, Assef shows no signs of remorse or guilt and is clearly purely evil as a result of this. A man such as this; "a man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer", is the physical embodiment of the commonly held perception of evil. The basis upon which Assef attempts justification of his actions is one of no validity and deeply ingrained racial hatred. He sees that fact that Hassan, and even Sohrab, are "flat-nosed load carrying donkey(s)" Hazaras as an exemption from any ramifications to his actions. In his adulthood and time in power with the Taliban, his paedophilia destroys the lives of countless untold numbers of children, whose childhoods have been decimated enough already. The sheer glee and enjoyment which he takes from watching Sohrab perform with the "bells strapped to his ankles" and "his hands clapping rhythmically with the music" is also a marker for Assef's warped and comprehensively evil manner. From the early years of his childhood to his time in power as an adult, Assef is clearly evil and not just mad.

"We jus left them out for the dogs, you know.". In the grim retail of his past killings to Amir, Assef takes a morbid pleasure in that he is "doing God's work". Being a Taliban official, Assef is given free reign to carry out his every sociopathic whim without the slightest fear of prosecution by the law. The shear glee in which he takes recounting the "Hazara massacre in Mazar", in which he simply walked from "door-to-door... letting bullets fly, without any fear or remorse" is clearly indicative of Assef's insanity and pure evilness.

Hosseini uses arguably one of the darkest eras of history to highlight the true extent of Assef's evil side. By directly paralleling Assef to Hitler and the idol-worship which Assef has of his as a boy, the link between the two is made painstakingly obvious. Assef follows a similar rise to power of that of the Nazi dictator, including an unsupressed irrevocable racial bigotry and genocide of a particular group. Hosseini also goes to the trouble of giving a physical description of Assef; "the blond, blue-eyed Assef towered over the other kids", which is the same description as Hitler's ideological Aryan race from the Final Solution. Both Hitler and Assef also abused the power with which they were appointed. It needs not be stated that Hitler was a man of pure of evil and, hence, as Assef is portrayed as a likeness of Hitler, he is also pure evil.

From the description of Amir and Assef's first meeting in the 'The Kite Runner', Assef's true archetype is made known. The most apt word for which Amir can describe Assef is a word "for which a good Farsi equivalent does not exist: sociopath". Right through out Assef's life a distinct trail of the remnants of his evil can be seen with the long lasting and devastating effect on his victims well known. Littered over the course of his destruction lies no hint of remorse or guilt which is clearly evident that he is a man of pure evil.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:34:24 pm by Matt The Rat »

neophyte

• BCom/JD
  • Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
Re: The Kite Runner essay - comments?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:41:00 pm »
Unfortunately I didn't study The Kite Runner so I am unable to properly comment on your piece.

A couple general comments however:
Your contention should be clear immediately (yours is in your third line).
You have included examples in your introduction; it is advisable that they are included in support your arguments in the body of the essay. The intro should be used to introduce your contention and adumbrate your arguments.
Try not to simply list evidence, but compare and contrast the material. In this case make the comparison between madness and evil and show how he is evil (if that is the case)
Make sure your 'linking' sentences are properly integrated. Flow is critical.
Your intro and conclusion should be shorter than your body paragraphs, which should be relatively long and consistent in length. Your second body paragraph would stick out to an examiner.

Matt The Rat

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 07:54:35 am »
Thanks for the comments.

Just had The Kite Runner SAC yesterday so should know how I went in a week or so.

Thanks again!

droodles

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 09:33:17 pm »
my essays are crap compared to yours  :-[

Matt The Rat

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:51:34 pm »
I find reading high scoring essays as a good way to take in important essay writing points and I find it's a good way to improve my own writing.

Can only improve, droodles. Still got a fair while till the exam when your level of writing really matters so heaps of time to improve!

itsme

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 10:24:38 am »
Ok I have a SAC coming up.

"In Amir's world, Assef represents evil and Hassan goodness."
How reliable are Amir's perceptions of the major characters in The Kite Runner?

I know I need to discuss how Assef is evil and Hassan good, from Amir's perception.

Do I need to discuss any other major characters?

I am a stuck, any help would be appreciated.

abcat

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 08:06:05 pm »
Ok I have a SAC coming up.

"In Amir's world, Assef represents evil and Hassan goodness."
How reliable are Amir's perceptions of the major characters in The Kite Runner?

I know I need to discuss how Assef is evil and Hassan good, from Amir's perception.

Do I need to discuss any other major characters?

I am a stuck, any help would be appreciated.
straight away you should recognise the phrase 'major characters'. a good attack would involve a paragraph on amir's perception of say, three major characters - i'd choose hassan, assef and baba. you can note how amir's perception of hassan is affected by his guilt, how his perception of hassan changes, how his perception of assef is mostly accurate, but could be affected by his childhood experience etc.

itsme

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 11:41:32 am »
Thanks for the pointers abcat.

I just wanted to know if I was going in the right direction with this essay.

I'll let you know how I go.