Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 05:20:38 pm

Author Topic: Coalition's proposed regional rail upgrade  (Read 737 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Coalition's proposed regional rail upgrade
« on: October 03, 2018, 02:50:49 pm »
+1
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-03/fast-regional-trains-geelong-melbourne-coalition-election-pledge/10332060

Mr Guy promised to deliver a "European style" network, including express services, if the Coalition won the November 24 election.

Under the plan, every regional passenger line in the state would be rebuilt over 10 years, and two fleets of new fast trains would be ordered.
The Geelong line would be the priority, with 32-minute express services promised to be in place by 2022.

Labor has expressed scepticism about the project's timelines, noting that it took more than three years to build the 8-kilometre track extension from South Morang to Mernda in Melbourne's northern suburbs, despite the work taking place on a rail reserve.

But Mr Guy said he was "confident" his timeline was achievable.

He said the project, which would cost between $15 billion and $19 billion, was about taking the population pressure off Melbourne and growing all of Victoria.
Thoughts?

Can clearly see the voters that labor and the coalition are targeting based on their varying rail promises haha. Significantly cheaper and a shorter timeline than the proposed Melbourne loop.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Coalition's proposed regional rail upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 02:58:04 pm »
+1
The Geelong line would be the priority, with 32-minute express services promised to be in place by 2022.

😍😍😍

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 02:58:12 pm »
+5
Think the Melb metro idea is a much better idea than this. There are blackspot areas in Melb that don't even have access to rail (e.g. Doncaster) which will be addressed using this. Imagine not having to take so many modes of transport to get from A to B.

Not saying regional rail isn't important, but given most of the population is metro Melb and the fact that traffic is only getting worse.... efficient PT to get cars off the road is absolutely critical. Try driving in/out of the city especially during peak hour or even on a main metro road and you can see the issue we face.

I'll give you a personal story just to assist: A year ago it took me approx 40 mins to get from my house which is in the northern suburbs to the school I taught at which was in the outer eastern suburbs. A few months ago when I still worked there, it took me over an hour to do the exact same journey at the exact same time. Don't think that was just luck. Having driven for quite a few years now, I have seen the traffic changes (in a very negative way, only getting much worse).

There are still regional upgrades happening, just not the exact same as what is proposed in your link: https://bigbuild.vic.gov.au/projects

In an ideal world - all of these grand plans would be addressed and we'd all be happy.

would be rebuilt over 10 years
And this is what really frustrates me with politics - a term is 3-4 years depending on whether state/federal. You seriously cannot make long-term promises like this, whatever side you're on.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 03:08:22 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 03:03:36 pm »
+2
(I have scattered thoughts rn, apologies if this is hard to follow lmao)
- Interesting proposal, considering there is already the old track line between Werribee and Geelong- disused since the RRL opened.
- Would be interested to see how 32 mins to Geelong would work given it currently takes me 45ish to Geelong via Wyndhamvale. :)
- Definitely would be cool if the line up to Mildura reopened though- have had fun times on road coaches up there for family. I get bussick, so would be v keen for it.

But these are just all promises related to the state election- pretty sure Werribee and surrounds are safe labor :p I'm pretty sceptical of all these promises, would be surprised to see any of these happen :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!