Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:09:40 pm

Author Topic: ENG1091 - Mathematics for Engineering  (Read 1478 times)  Share 

THem

ENG1091 - Mathematics for Engineering
« on: November 13, 2009, 10:38:32 pm »
What is one of the recommended text books for this subject? Would it be available in the Monash Library?

Synopsis:

Vector algebra and geometry: equations of lines and planes.

Linear algebra: matrix operations, systems of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

Calculus: logarithmic differentiation, improper integrals, integration by parts. Sequences and series: convergence, power series, Taylor polynomials.

Ordinary differential equations: first order, second order with constant coefficients, boundary value problems, systems of ODEs.

Multi variable calculus: partial derivatives, directional derivatives, chain rule, maxima and minima.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:41:04 am by THem »

zzdfa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
Re: Engineering
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 07:39:11 pm »
You get to choose which units you do each semester, and tbh, you can do some 2nd year subjects if you want. The stuff on the website is only a guide. The only way you wouldn't be able to get your preferences is if too few people enrol (like <7 probably). Which is not going to happen because theres about 500 first years doing those units.

Yes you would be able to cover eng1091 over the summer. This unit is almost exactly the same as mth1030 (see my other post in the mth1030 thread). The only extra stuff i see is logarithmic differentiation and eigenvalues. Both of these things are very 'small' topics.Like you probably already know how to find eigenvalues, but you just don't know what eigenvalues are yet.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:43:40 pm by zzdfa »

THem

Re: ENG1091 - Mathematics for Engineering
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 08:20:51 pm »
Changed original post  :uglystupid2:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:39:07 am by THem »

zzdfa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
Re: ENG1091 - Mathematics for Engineering
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 11:36:28 pm »
I'm 99% certain the recommended textbook for calculus would be stewarts, see the mth1030 thread. stewarts has everything except linear algebra.

for linear algebra: I've heard strang's 'linear algebra and its applications' is good. axler's 'Linear Algebra done right' is good also if you like theory. but tbh I don't think they will cover stuff in anywhere as much depth as either of those books. They will probably spend a week showing you how to find an eigenvector (which boils down to solving a simultaneous equation). Of course, linear algebra is incredibly useful (most people would say at least as useful as calculus) so you should study it over the holidays, properly, and not just learning the stuff you need for eng1091, while you have time.

the first 8 lectures of mth1030 i uploaded in the other thread should be sufficient for vector algebra and geometry.

All these books are available at the monash library.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 11:43:51 pm by zzdfa »