Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 07:26:15 pm

Author Topic: thinking of redoing year 12  (Read 16736 times)  Share 

nemesoid

thinking of redoing year 12
« on: November 13, 2008, 01:44:54 am »
hey to all. i have completed year 12 successfully, but i faded towards the end of the year. as a result, my exam marks are somewhat disturbing. in fact, i'll be lucky to get above 50 for my enter. i was just wondering, is it possible to redo year 12 at another high school? and if i redo the same 5 subjects i did this year, which will count for next years enter score? will i even get a new enter score based on next years results?. thanks in advance.

kurrymuncher

Re: thinking of redoing year 12
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 01:50:16 am »
You can redo it, but why not just go to a local tafe for about a year or two and then transfer to a university.

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 02:32:30 am »
hey to all. i have completed year 12 successfully, but i faded towards the end of the year. as a result, my exam marks are somewhat disturbing. in fact, i'll be lucky to get above 50 for my enter. i was just wondering, is it possible to redo year 12 at another high school? and if i redo the same 5 subjects i did this year, which will count for next years enter score? will i even get a new enter score based on next years results?. thanks in advance.

yep, you can repeat subjects and if you do better, you'll get a new enter. But I'd discuss your options with a few people in the know, to determine the best one :)

misskaraleah

• Journalist Extraordinnaire
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I believe impossible is possible to overcome
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 12:15:37 pm »
trust me, i wouldnt do year 12 again next year. i need a break badly

cara.mel

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 12:22:17 pm »
To further answer the question - since either 2003 or 2004 (or 2002 I dont know) there is absolutely no penalty for repeating units. Your higher score will count if you repeat something.

But seriously think about it. Repeating a whole year would be mind numbing. Maybe you could just repeat/do new ones for 1-2 subjects?
Don't make any final commitment until results day either :)

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:23:38 pm »
You can redo it, but why not just go to a local tafe for about a year or two and then transfer to a university.

i think this is good advice :)

bridgethuss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:24:20 pm »
i actually have a friend who is doing yr 12 over 2 years, she did 3 subs this year and another 2 or 3 next year. i dunno how she will manage, i mean, socially she will be fine, but i just would not have the patience to do it for another yr. oh well, ill still go visit her at lunchtimes!
2007 -
health and human development (33)

2008 -
literature (34..still confused by that)
english (37)
psychology (35)
biology (28...lolllll)
physical education (31...this was a good surprise!)

aiming for 83+
ENTER - 77.65
have been offered first pref. :)

2009 - year off

2010 - health sciences at deakin (waurn ponds)
:)

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 12:50:13 pm »
When people ask this, I always advise them to not repeat. You will get much more done in a year of, say, TAFE in something that interests you than from doing another year of high school. What do you want to do after high school? What would you choose if your ENTER didn't matter?

nemesoid

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 12:58:44 pm »
What do you want to do after high school? What would you choose if your ENTER didn't matter?

my first prefernce is biomedicine, though theres basicly no way i can get into it, even at the lower scale universities.

i dont know, i reckon i couldve done much better, but i just gave up halfway through the year. some sac scores were excellent (a to a+) but others really turned me off. also, i left plenty till the last minute, and basicly didnt get anything done. ill try much harder next year from the beginning, if i get the chance

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:40:53 pm »
It's better to either get into a general science degree at a university if you can, or else do something sciency at a TAFE. If you do something science-specific it'll be more relevant to getting into another course and you'll be less likely to 'fade' because you'll be interested in what you're doing.

hard

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 04:44:59 pm »
mate don't do it. I was going to do VCE over three years since i skipped a grade but i thought about it, discussed with the principle and the principle told me that two people he knew done the same thing and became so drained that they got less than the first time.

DON'T DO IT AGAIN YOU WILL GO THROUGH HEELLLL. VCE ISN'T THE LAST THING IN YOUR LIFE.

gfb

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 04:46:53 pm »
mate don't do it. I was going to do VCE over three years since i skipped a grade but i thought about it, discussed with the principle and the principle told me that two people he knew done the same thing and became so drained that they got less than the first time.

DON'T DO IT AGAIN YOU WILL GO THROUGH HEELLLL. VCE ISN'T THE LAST THING IN YOUR LIFE.

I agree with you bro.    Do not do it again. Just manage to get into a course in uni, then you can transfer to the course you desire.

cheers and best of luck
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:48:41 pm by gfb »

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »
exactly its only a score, there are always pathways and if u want to do biomedicine badly enough im sure you'll get there somehow without having to repeat yr 12

khalil

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 07:24:38 pm »
im in the exact situation as u
but i decided to do vce over 3 years, im patient, very patient, its just an extra year of my life that will benefit me forever..or mayb not?

brendan

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 07:27:45 pm »
yeah do a BSc and then transfer or something