Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 09:06:50 am

Author Topic: Transfer from BA to BA/BComm, help!  (Read 1763 times)  Share 

kendraaaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
Transfer from BA to BA/BComm, help!
« on: January 20, 2010, 07:47:48 am »
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice as to how to make this transfer as smooth as possible. I'm just a little confused about taking electives out of my faculty (arts) and then gaining credit for those upon transfer. Firstly, can I take Commerce units as a BA student? I'd like to major in International Commerce. Secondly, with my awesome 21 SS  :idiot2: in Methods would I need to take some sort of Methods subject or something similar? Oh and also would this transfer occur mid year (this year) or next year?

Thanks a lottttt :)

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: Transfer from BA to BA/BComm, help!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:33:54 am »
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice as to how to make this transfer as smooth as possible. I'm just a little confused about taking electives out of my faculty (arts) and then gaining credit for those upon transfer. Firstly, can I take Commerce units as a BA student? I'd like to major in International Commerce. Secondly, with my awesome 21 SS  :idiot2: in Methods would I need to take some sort of Methods subject or something similar? Oh and also would this transfer occur mid year (this year) or next year?

Thanks a lottttt :)

with a methods score under 25 u should still b able to do management/marketing subs, or anything that isnt too heavly math based
and yes u should b able to take some subjects from outside BA, if u do some bcom ones then u should get credit when u transfer
im not sure when exactly u can transfer, just remember to keep up a good GPA for the transfer, good luck!

btw, may i ask what international commerce is? (sounds interesting)

edit: 555 posts, awesome XD
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

kendraaaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:04:10 am »
Thanks a lot for your reply :)

Ah awesome, I'm glad they don't look at Methods. Do you know exactly how many units I can take from Commerce? Ideally what I'd like to do would be a double major one from Arts one from Commerce for the time being - is this possible?

Hard to define really, it compromises of units such as Int. Management, Int. Economics, Int. Economy since 1945, Int. Human Resource Management, etc. To be honest I just stumbled across this major in the past couple of days but it appealed to me so much haha.

http://monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/courses/0179.html       Ctrl + F and "International Commerce"

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 09:02:40 am »
Thanks a lot for your reply :)

Ah awesome, I'm glad they don't look at Methods. Do you know exactly how many units I can take from Commerce? Ideally what I'd like to do would be a double major one from Arts one from Commerce for the time being - is this possible?

Hard to define really, it compromises of units such as Int. Management, Int. Economics, Int. Economy since 1945, Int. Human Resource Management, etc. To be honest I just stumbled across this major in the past couple of days but it appealed to me so much haha.

http://monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/courses/0179.html       Ctrl + F and "International Commerce"

as for a double major, im not sure about in BA, but in my economics degree i can form a second major from outside the faculty (with carefull subject selection) so i guess u could try

as for methods, u may be required to somehow re-do it in the form of a bridging course depending on what subjects u want to take from the commerce faculty

hope this all works out for you
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 12:47:01 am »

This is seriously a case of the blind leading the blind here :P

See: http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/courses/0002.html
Up to 48 credit points may be taken, with permission, from outside the faculty of Arts.
These 48 credit points may be used to form a cross-faculty major... yes, you can double major as you wish, but your "international commerce" major may not be formally recognised on your degree.

Also, I'm quite sure you will need to do a maths bridging unit.
I think it may be this one: http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2010handbooks/units/MTH1010.html
Costa may have more information on this, as he was at one point faced with the need to do the bridging unit.

Edit: Actually... the need to do the bridging unit may pose a problem, since it won't be counted as part of international commerce and it does not belong to the Arts faculty... you may need to consider doing a single-unit enrolment or overloading or something... hmm...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 12:51:56 am by Fyrefly »
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:54:38 am »

This is seriously a case of the blind leading the blind here :P

See: http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/courses/0002.html
Up to 48 credit points may be taken, with permission, from outside the faculty of Arts.
These 48 credit points may be used to form a cross-faculty major... yes, you can double major as you wish, but your "international commerce" major may not be formally recognised on your degree.

Also, I'm quite sure you will need to do a maths bridging unit.
I think it may be this one: http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2010handbooks/units/MTH1010.html
Costa may have more information on this, as he was at one point faced with the need to do the bridging unit.

Edit: Actually... the need to do the bridging unit may pose a problem, since it won't be counted as part of international commerce and it does not belong to the Arts faculty... you may need to consider doing a single-unit enrolment or overloading or something... hmm...

wow i didnt know monash has their own bridging unit....and that it has 5 contact hours :-\

kendraaaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 09:59:44 am »
I've emailed the good folk at Monash and we'll see what will happen. It's a lot harder organising this from overseas :(