Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 10:19:21 pm

Author Topic: Physics questions  (Read 718 times)  Share 

jando

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Physics questions
« on: June 10, 2019, 01:32:42 pm »
I've been given some physics questions to answer and I was wondering if someone could help me out and simplify what the question is actually asking.
- How is the analysis of the photoelectric effect as it occurs in metallic elements and its application to the law of conservation of energy and the photon model of light related to the quantized energy levels of the hydrogen atom and the law of conservation of energy to the line emission spectrum of hydrogen?

Thanks in advance  :)

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: Physics questions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 04:14:34 pm »
+2
I've been given some physics questions to answer and I was wondering if someone could help me out and simplify what the question is actually asking.
- How is the analysis of the photoelectric effect as it occurs in metallic elements and its application to the law of conservation of energy and the photon model of light related to the quantized energy levels of the hydrogen atom and the law of conservation of energy to the line emission spectrum of hydrogen?

Thanks in advance  :)

a)
In brief basically each photon of light can only transfer energy in discrete levels, so it can transfer all or none of its energy. This concept of radiation quanta is similar to the quantized energy levels of the hydrogen atom as they also can only occupy certain discrete energy levels.

b)
The line emission spectra is due to an atom or molecule transitioning from a higher energy state to a lower energy state. Again these states can only have certain specific energy levels. However since energy is neither created nor destroyed, the difference in energy is converted and radiated out as light which is what we see as the line emission spectrum.