Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 12:15:36 am

Author Topic: Raymond Carver  (Read 2967 times)  Share 

rustic_metal

Raymond Carver
« on: October 20, 2007, 01:22:00 pm »
for those of you who have read Raymond Carver's "Will you please be quiet please?" (literature)...

what the hell is going on in "are you a doctor?"

its about loneliness, inability to sustain a relationship without physical contact and sexual temptation, but thats all i've got  :?

any ideas?  :?  :?

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Raymond Carver
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 09:40:47 pm »
I did Raymond Carver last year. I really like the stories, but the stories are rather difficult to make out. I just loved how they were so uncanny. Our class used them for the creative outcome which was an awesom exercise, in my opinion.

You could always talk about how Carver transforms the vernacular into something that can be universally felt. Also, his tendency towards understatement and colloquialisms are interesting devices that he utilises.

I only vaugely remember "Are You A Doctor?" though and my notes aren't very comprehensive, sorry. Still, you could use it as a way to talk about the collection overall, that puts your word count up a bit :)

rustic_metal

Raymond Carver
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 11:21:53 pm »
ah awesome, thanks for the big-picture points :D, should be useful considering its on the unit 2 exam  :(

i hate 'are you a doctor?' its gotta be one of the hardest ones on there...i wish i got 'jerry, molly and sam' or something like that  :(