Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 01:25:12 am

Author Topic: Legal Studies - Method of Studying?  (Read 1949 times)  Share 

akadillz

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Legal Studies - Method of Studying?
« on: November 01, 2017, 04:51:16 pm »
Hi guys, just wanted to know how to actually study for Legal Studies! I understand a lot of it is memorizing, and I have maintained a 94% SAC average by doing just that. However, I'm quite concerned as I do not see myself memorizing all the content of Legal Studies. Should I try summarize everything and memorize it? Help :( Any tips will be appreciated.

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Re: Legal Studies - Method of Studying?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 05:33:38 pm »
+1
Hi guys, just wanted to know how to actually study for Legal Studies! I understand a lot of it is memorizing, and I have maintained a 94% SAC average by doing just that. However, I'm quite concerned as I do not see myself memorizing all the content of Legal Studies. Should I try summarize everything and memorize it? Help :( Any tips will be appreciated.

Hi!

Well done on your great average  :)  While memorising is definitely helpful for Legal, it is critical that you know how to apply this knowledge. And from your SAC results, it seems as though you definitely appreciate this fact. For me, the best way to keep strengthening this skill, was to answer and expose myself to many practice exams and practice questions. Timing wasn't of extreme importance to me, but rather how much detail and coherency I could incorporate into my answers. Even if you don't do full exam papers, just pluck out some random questions from multiple exam companies (including VCAA, obviously). I'd also recommend that you read examiners reports and note the concerns and preferences of examiners. This has to be your best resource by far!

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask  :D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:36:54 pm by clarke54321 »
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

akadillz

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 05:48:20 pm »
Hi!

Well done on your great average  :)  While memorising is definitely helpful for Legal, it is critical that you know how to apply this knowledge. And from your SAC results, it seems as though you definitely appreciate this fact. For me, the best way to keep strengthening this skill, was to answer and expose myself to many practice exams and practice questions. Timing wasn't of extreme importance to me, but rather how much detail and coherency I could incorporate into my answers. Even if you don't do full exam papers, just pluck out some random questions from multiple exam companies (including VCAA, obviously). I'd also recommend that you read examiners reports and note the concerns and preferences of examiners. This has to be your best resource by far!

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask  :D

Thank you for the useful information! However, my concerns still remain. While I understand I need to apply as well as memorise, I am confused as to how to actually memorise the content, since there is quite a lot. Is there a process you recommend? By doing practice exams I only feel like I am repeating what I know and find it difficult to learn from what I don't know.

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 06:12:03 pm »

Thank you for the useful information! However, my concerns still remain. While I understand I need to apply as well as memorise, I am confused as to how to actually memorise the content, since there is quite a lot. Is there a process you recommend? By doing practice exams I only feel like I am repeating what I know and find it difficult to learn from what I don't know.

No problems. Well I did find that doing many practice questions did complement the memorising process; given the sheer breadth and variety of exam questions. However I can also recommend the following:

-Tables for knowledge (especially the evaluating, to what extent and discuss type questions). Split it into advantages/disadvantages attatched with examples.
-Reading solutions to the practice exams. This can be very helpful. It means that you aren't repeating knowledge, but picking up on bits of detail that you previously never knew of.
-Go through past SACs and revise weaknesses.
-Try and develop your own questions. Eg. write up some cards with different detailed studies and randomly pick two up. This can be especially helpful for the 10 marker, and forces you to combine obscure parts of the course.

Good luck :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 02:23:11 am »
In addition to what clarke54321 recommended, I personally found it really helpful to "teach" the concepts to someone or simply an object; i.e. orally explain the information in your own words, use examples, and use the study design or 'trigger words' as the basis for what you're 'teaching.'
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator