Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 11:48:04 pm

Author Topic: Creative Writing Marking?  (Read 2705 times)  Share 

Kaan709

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Creative Writing Marking?
« on: February 06, 2017, 08:01:57 pm »
Hey, I've just received my results from my creative writing (exam conditions), and I think my score is really low. The module is Discovery, and we had to incorporate an unseen text - which was Central Park in N.Y, the picture was in autumn (red and orange leaves).

I received 9/15 (C+), which is pretty bad considering I spent weeks writing it. If you could please help me out, that would be great. :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Creative Writing Marking?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 07:47:44 pm »
Hey, I've just received my results from my creative writing (exam conditions), and I think my score is really low. The module is Discovery, and we had to incorporate an unseen text - which was Central Park in N.Y, the picture was in autumn (red and orange leaves).

I received 9/15 (C+), which is pretty bad considering I spent weeks writing it. If you could please help me out, that would be great. :)

Hey Kaan! Thanks heaps for posting your essay! We have a policy where, to get proper feedback from a marker, you need 15 posts on ATAR Notes for every essay/creative you'd like marked. This is just to make sure that the markers can keep up with the service ;D

That said, you are really close to 15 posts. Post a few times tonight and I'll happily provide give this a proper mark! When you meet the criteria, you can post your creative here! That's our marking thread :)

I have given this a quick read though - If you were given the stimulus as Central Park, I think it needs to be incorporated more meaningfully. Just having it as a backdrop in the distance isn't quite enough (usually, depending on the question). That would be my main comment of the Creative in terms of responding to that exam at that time - The stimulus incorporation isn't quite there.

On a more general sense though, I'd say that the Discovery concept feels a little forced, a little "told" instead of "shown." For example, you tell us that the father ruined the protagonists childhood, but that's just told to us. It would be far more effective to have a flashback to a scene in childhood that shows this to the audience. Further, the letter coming at the end is a little like, "Yep, the boss is his brother, that's the Discovery." It's a little blatant and could be handled a little more subtly to possibly enhance its complexity.

Just a few thoughts on a quick read - I'd be very happy to go through and give some more detailed comments once you hit that 15 post threshold! I hope these ideas help regardless :)

Kaan709

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 08:41:02 pm »
Hey Kaan! Thanks heaps for posting your essay! We have a policy where, to get proper feedback from a marker, you need 15 posts on ATAR Notes for every essay/creative you'd like marked. This is just to make sure that the markers can keep up with the service ;D

That said, you are really close to 15 posts. Post a few times tonight and I'll happily provide give this a proper mark! When you meet the criteria, you can post your creative here! That's our marking thread :)

I have given this a quick read though - If you were given the stimulus as Central Park, I think it needs to be incorporated more meaningfully. Just having it as a backdrop in the distance isn't quite enough (usually, depending on the question). That would be my main comment of the Creative in terms of responding to that exam at that time - The stimulus incorporation isn't quite there.

On a more general sense though, I'd say that the Discovery concept feels a little forced, a little "told" instead of "shown." For example, you tell us that the father ruined the protagonists childhood, but that's just told to us. It would be far more effective to have a flashback to a scene in childhood that shows this to the audience. Further, the letter coming at the end is a little like, "Yep, the boss is his brother, that's the Discovery." It's a little blatant and could be handled a little more subtly to possibly enhance its complexity.

Just a few thoughts on a quick read - I'd be very happy to go through and give some more detailed comments once you hit that 15 post threshold! I hope these ideas help regardless :)

Thanks, sounds good!

kneehaha

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 09:11:14 pm »
Tips to write a killer creative story? I handed in a creative which i thought was my best work when it comes to creative writing, however, i lost 7 marks because i intergrated suicide in the climax of my story. i was wondering if there were any tips as to how i can change the ending without having to start the whole creative again.

kneehaha

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:31:17 pm »
Hey,
Seeing this is my 15th post, i was wondering if i could post my creative for feedback? :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 01:08:24 am »
Hey,
Seeing this is my 15th post, i was wondering if i could post my creative for feedback? :)

Sure! You can post it here! You are only at 14 but posting your Creative in that thread will bring you to 15 anyway - We'll get you feedback asap! ;D

Oh, and on the above question, you should check out this guide for a heap of Creative Writing tips! ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:10:23 am by jamonwindeyer »

mcheema

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 09:59:05 am »
Hi,
I wanted to further improve my creative writing skills, I  just wanted to know if there is an article on how to improve creative writing or structure?
If there is can you please send the link
thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 10:59:12 am »
Hi,
I wanted to further improve my creative writing skills, I  just wanted to know if there is an article on how to improve creative writing or structure?
If there is can you please send the link
thanks

You got it! Feel free to ask any follow up questions at that link as well ;D