Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 01:44:46 am

Author Topic: Advanced English Related text for People and Landscapes (Module C)  (Read 3341 times)

tloos

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Hi, I am relatively new to ATAR notes, although this is not my first time on a forum. I need some urgent help, and hoping that some good willed people can assist me with this. On monday coming, I have my HSC second task for advanced english, our topic People and Landscapes. We have been given our essay question we will be writing on: WHAT INSIGHTS ABOUT THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN INDIVIDUALS AND PLACE HAVE BEEN EXAMINED IN THE TEXTS YOU HAVE STUDIED? The text we studied was Brooklyn and of course we need a related text/media (preferably a text other than a book). Now having written a draft yesterday for this question in class, i chose the film Red Dog as my related text, and although i felt I compared well with Brooklyn and it met the people and landscape idea, my teacher approached me asking for me to change my related text due to it 'being too basic for advanced english and not meeting the module well.' So my question is, what are some good related texts (i.e. films, poems etc) that meet the question as mentioned, as well as people and landscapes well. Preferably a media/text that has tons of notes available on it, because I do not have plentiful time to analyse my related text as I have other HSC exams to cater for. Any help will be appreciated, I really need the help.

Thankyou  8)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Advanced English Related text for People and Landscapes (Module C)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 06:38:39 pm »
Hi, I am relatively new to ATAR notes, although this is not my first time on a forum. I need some urgent help, and hoping that some good willed people can assist me with this. On monday coming, I have my HSC second task for advanced english, our topic People and Landscapes. We have been given our essay question we will be writing on: WHAT INSIGHTS ABOUT THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN INDIVIDUALS AND PLACE HAVE BEEN EXAMINED IN THE TEXTS YOU HAVE STUDIED? The text we studied was Brooklyn and of course we need a related text/media (preferably a text other than a book). Now having written a draft yesterday for this question in class, i chose the film Red Dog as my related text, and although i felt I compared well with Brooklyn and it met the people and landscape idea, my teacher approached me asking for me to change my related text due to it 'being too basic for advanced english and not meeting the module well.' So my question is, what are some good related texts (i.e. films, poems etc) that meet the question as mentioned, as well as people and landscapes well. Preferably a media/text that has tons of notes available on it, because I do not have plentiful time to analyse my related text as I have other HSC exams to cater for. Any help will be appreciated, I really need the help.

Thankyou  8)

Hey tloos! How's this for timing? I just came online AND I studied Brooklyn. You can download my two resources on this for free right here. I used Tim Winton's Distant Lands. If you can get your hands on the short story anthology, Minimum of Two, it is in there. Your local library is likely to have the anthology seeing as Tim Winton is a famous Australian writer. I also used it for discovery.

Otherwise, a friend of mine used Seamus Heaney's poem "Digging" and "Personal Helicon" for this module, and she also studied Brooklyn. These poems are available free online and have resources available around the net. Hopefully this gives you a push in the right direction! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!