Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 08:05:55 am

Author Topic: Module C - People and Politics  (Read 10195 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Module C - People and Politics
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 02:07:58 am »
Hi, I haven't studied the texts you have mentioned but what I think is meant by 'complexities' is saying that political representation isn't simple. You could discuss how different factors such as context, motives, perceptions and the truth shape how people in politics are represented and how these factors can make it complex. Sorry I can't help with anything specific from your texts but hopefully this can give you a bit of a starting point.  ;D

You're right! The complexities of the political representation could mean any number of things, but consider relationships and perspectives as good places to start. So, perhaps the relationship between people and their democratic representation seems fair, but it's a far more complex situation of accessibility, than that. Looking at perspectives, you could talk about the way different people view different political representations as fair, unfair, exciting, lame, etc.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

cxmplete

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Malek Fahd Islamic School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 08:46:10 pm »
What are your prescribed texts?

You should ask your teacher and briefly describe it. They should be able to tell you
my prescribed text is brave new world. also, i can't ask my teacher because we're on holiday and she never replies to emails

Blazeee

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 04:40:38 pm »
+1
Hello
Just been given an assessment for Module C...basically the core of it is asking us to communicate ideas about people and politics. I don't really understand the basis of this, which way to address it. Could someone please give me a quick overview in simple terms about the main ideas involved in people and politics. Thanks heaps!
 ;D ;D

gkim1

• Adventurer
  • Crying about how I want the HSC to be over.
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 05:57:32 pm »
Hello! I was wondering if someone could help me with this essay question for people and politics? I'm using Brave New Word as a prescribed text and I'm just not very sure how to structure it ? Help would be super appreciated!  :)

Composers represent complex interactions between people and politics. In your analysis of your prescribed text, and at least ONE related text of your own choosing, explore the complexity of people and politics.
HSC 2017: Advanced Eng / Extension Eng / Business Studies / Legal Studies / Ancient History / General Maths / Studies of Religion

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 06:44:29 pm »
+1
Hello! I was wondering if someone could help me with this essay question for people and politics? I'm using Brave New Word as a prescribed text and I'm just not very sure how to structure it ? Help would be super appreciated!  :)

Composers represent complex interactions between people and politics. In your analysis of your prescribed text, and at least ONE related text of your own choosing, explore the complexity of people and politics.

Hey, I'm not entirely sure but two ideas I would look at would be:
1. The dialogue between the Savage and Mond (mainly in Chpt 17. eg. the complex dichotomy of Mond and savages political opinions, Mond wants stability (therefore got rid of arts, sadness, old age) vs Savage just wants human emotions))
2. the complex character of bernard marx (wants to conform but also is different)
those are two complex interactions i can see :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

gkim1

• Adventurer
  • Crying about how I want the HSC to be over.
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 08:00:50 pm »
+1
1. The dialogue between the Savage and Mond (mainly in Chpt 17. eg. the complex dichotomy of Mond and savages political opinions, Mond wants stability (therefore got rid of arts, sadness, old age) vs Savage just wants human emotions))
2. the complex character of bernard marx (wants to conform but also is different)
Thank you so much! :)
HSC 2017: Advanced Eng / Extension Eng / Business Studies / Legal Studies / Ancient History / General Maths / Studies of Religion

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 12:09:36 am »
Hello
Just been given an assessment for Module C...basically the core of it is asking us to communicate ideas about people and politics. I don't really understand the basis of this, which way to address it. Could someone please give me a quick overview in simple terms about the main ideas involved in people and politics. Thanks heaps!
 ;D ;D

Hey! People and politics is very broad, it is literally anything to do with power or powerful individuals. Particular focus on how opinions are manipulated and the effects of that manipulation, the nature of how people interact, how power is exerted on a populace, etc etc! :) if you can link it in any way to the way society is run, or the people who run society, it probably works for People and Politics :)

Blazeee

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 10:26:20 am »
+1
Hey! People and politics is very broad, it is literally anything to do with power or powerful individuals. Particular focus on how opinions are manipulated and the effects of that manipulation, the nature of how people interact, how power is exerted on a populace, etc etc! :) if you can link it in any way to the way society is run, or the people who run society, it probably works for People and Politics :)

Thanks heaps for that. That's the problem almost, it's so broad its hard to focus on one theme throughout a response!

Em444

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 08:56:55 pm »
I want to do Common Sense by Thomas Paine for my related material for Brave New World. Its a political pamphlet encouraging Americans to fight for independence from Britain, it isn't particularly similar to BNW but it does represent people and politics and I'm using it for extension 1 romanticism, so it would be handy to use it for this :) My trials are a week away :( (my school has them quite late)

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 02:10:54 pm »
I want to do Common Sense by Thomas Paine for my related material for Brave New World. Its a political pamphlet encouraging Americans to fight for independence from Britain, it isn't particularly similar to BNW but it does represent people and politics and I'm using it for extension 1 romanticism, so it would be handy to use it for this :) My trials are a week away :( (my school has them quite late)

If you can find connections and it's got a similar theme then do it!

I have a friend using his Discovery AOS Text for Modern History and he also used his Extension 1 English text for BNW related! If you have the resources and feel it connects, you can do it. Just double check your teacher allows it.

Heavy Things :(

michelleh

• Trailblazer
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 02:20:44 pm »
Hi!

For this module, our school has prescribed an audio text for us to analyse and refer to as part of our related text for one of our assessments.

I was just wondering, what are some techniques for a podcast?

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 02:29:55 pm »
Hi!

For this module, our school has prescribed an audio text for us to analyse and refer to as part of our related text for one of our assessments.

I was just wondering, what are some techniques for a podcast?

Perhaps the person emphasising certain words. Eg the emphasis on the emotive adjective sad reiterates the tragic nature of the event. You can also include tone or pace.

It's pushing it a bit but those are the few I used for my assessment.
Heavy Things :(

soccernut

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2017, 07:40:56 pm »
Can anyone please explain what the rubric means by competing, individual and shared political perspectives? Or like just anything in the people and politics rubric?
thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 01:40:42 am »
Can anyone please explain what the rubric means by competing, individual and shared political perspectives? Or like just anything in the people and politics rubric?
thanks

Hey! Welcome to the forums! :) So I suppose the key here is knowing what a political perspective is. This is tough to put in words, but basically it's an idea about how things should be run, or about how people in power should act, or the way power influences individuals in society - Any opinion on any aspect of politics and/or power. From there, it is a little easier - Competing perspectives are just ideas that contradict each other. Individual perspectives are those possessed by, well, an individual (the composer of your text, most vitally). Shared political perspectives are ideas that are, well, shared amongst a group. You'll need to explore/consider these sorts of things in your texts and their construction ;D