Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 02:11:56 am

Author Topic: Identifying Techniques  (Read 7803 times)  Share 

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
Identifying Techniques
« on: September 29, 2017, 07:20:16 pm »
Hey guys,
so when theres short abrupt sentences its called truncated sentences right
so whats the technique when the sentenses are long and rave on and on without ending
idk what its called
HELP!
ATAR Goal 90

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Identifying Techniques
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 07:44:07 pm »
Hey guys,
so whats the technique when the sentenses are long and rave on and on without ending
idk what its called
HELP!

enjambment ??
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:53:25 pm »
enjambment ??

yes! i think thats the one! but how do i use it in a sentence
ie the composer uses enjambment to portray blah blah ?
ATAR Goal 90

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 08:27:23 pm »
+1
Well, enjambment occurs when an unfinished sentence is broken into separate lines in poetry, like this:

"As you can see
This sentence has
Not finished yet,
But these words have
Moved from line to
Line"

This effect creates a very lyrical sound to it; when you read it aloud, you can hear the rhythm to it, as opposed to its prosaic counterpart. Read the poetic version and compare to its prosaic version; see if you can spot the difference.

"As you can see this sentence has not finished yet, but these words have moved from line to line"

Analysis:
The composer's use of enjambment creates a lyrical and fast paced tone, revealing _____. This is shown through the enjambed lines "______"
You can fill in the rest.

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 08:36:20 pm »
Hey guys,
idk what its called
HELP!

IDK if you're looking at your own texts, but remember in Section I paper 1 you can just say "the composer uses lengthy descriptions to illustrate..." and they'll be fine with it. If you forget the name of something specific try to describe it briefly and you'll still get the mark.

What you're looking for could be broadly termed as descriptive language.

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 08:55:26 pm »
IDK if you're looking at your own texts, but remember in Section I paper 1 you can just say "the composer uses lengthy descriptions to illustrate..." and they'll be fine with it. If you forget the name of something specific try to describe it briefly and you'll still get the mark.

What you're looking for could be broadly termed as descriptive language.
hmmmmm what youre saying makes sense! thank you!

Well, enjambment occurs when an unfinished sentence is broken into separate lines in poetry, like this:

"As you can see
This sentence has
Not finished yet,
But these words have
Moved from line to
Line"

This effect creates a very lyrical sound to it; when you read it aloud, you can hear the rhythm to it, as opposed to its prosaic counterpart. Read the poetic version and compare to its prosaic version; see if you can spot the difference.

"As you can see this sentence has not finished yet, but these words have moved from line to line"

Analysis:
The composer's use of enjambment creates a lyrical and fast paced tone, revealing _____. This is shown through the enjambed lines "______"
You can fill in the rest.
hat still enjambment

maybe enjambment isnt quite the technique im looking for cos the way you've explained it opengangs its not really lyrical instead its like a dead kinda tone with no emotion and the sentences just goes on and on without an any commas or anything ...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:59:59 pm by Daniyahasan »
ATAR Goal 90

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 08:48:14 pm »
Hey guys,
idk what its called
HELP!

Accumulation? Or complex/compound sentences :)

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 09:30:43 pm »
Hey guys,
idk what its called
HELP!

I'm not very familiar with HSC English but here are two suggestions(?), I hope it's what you're looking for:
- polysyndeton: a literary technique in which conjunctions (and or but) are used repeatedly in quick successions, without commas, commonly used to change the overall tone of a text (it serves as an intensifier, or it can also be used to bring about the slippery slope notion). For example: There were frowzy fields and cow-houses and dunghills and dustheaps and ditches and gardens and summer-houses and carpet-beating grounds, at the very door of the Railway. (notice the repetitive use of the word "and", which can be omitted replaced by commas - the lack of such conjunctions is called the "asyndeton", the opposite of this literary technique).
- run-on sentences: non-punctuated sentences which can be separated by commas to form independent ideas, but are not separated. These sentences can be long and convoluted, but it isn't necessarily the case. For example: You're not a dick you're nice. or you can rectify your mistakes by using correctly punctuated sentences lacking the ability to come up with sentences with accurate grammar can be dangerous. Instead of "you're not a dick, you're nice", and "you can rectify your mistakes by using correctly punctuated sentences. Lacking the ability to come up with sentences with accurate grammar can be dangerous".
Hope that helps :)
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 10:19:43 pm »
Omg thank you everyone😊😊
ATAR Goal 90

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 04:54:33 pm »
"Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them”

what techqiyes do you guys see here?
ATAR Goal 90

bernardm

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 05:50:54 pm »
+1
"Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them”

Hey!

So there's a simile ''I think prime numbers are like life''

I used this quote as well in my essay, I say that it ''demonstrates a simple comparison that allows Christopher to express his feelings of the world and others in a unique way, one which creates a feeling of empathy within the responder as they uncover the truth to his disability.''

Hope this helps!

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 08:18:54 pm »
+2

The language used here is definitely colloquial, intended to attract a reader's attention instead of throwing in jargon related to mathematical concepts.
"what is left when you have taken all the patterns away", in this case "taken" and "patterns" can be connotations to disregarding and abandoning any other structured and discovered mathematical concepts, or patterns within sequences.
"prime numbers are like life" would be a simile, that's kinda obvious.
"spent all your time thinking about them", can be an exaggeration/hyperbole.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 10:06:15 pm »
The language used here is definitely colloquial, intended to attract a reader's attention instead of throwing in jargon related to mathematical concepts.
"what is left when you have taken all the patterns away", in this case "taken" and "patterns" can be connotations to disregarding and abandoning any other structured and discovered mathematical concepts, or patterns within sequences.
"prime numbers are like life" would be a simile, that's kinda obvious.
"spent all your time thinking about them", can be an exaggeration/hyperbole.
Hey!

So there's a simile ''I think prime numbers are like life''

I used this quote as well in my essay, I say that it ''demonstrates a simple comparison that allows Christopher to express his feelings of the world and others in a unique way, one which creates a feeling of empathy within the responder as they uncover the truth to his disability.''

Hope this helps!

Makes sense! thanks guys :)
ATAR Goal 90

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 11:28:02 pm »
"I like timetables because I like to know when everything is going to happen"
guys what technique do you see here?
ATAR Goal 90

Checkmate123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 12:32:42 am »
Can anyone find a technique in, "quicken the tempo of human life till men are senile at thirty"
English Advanced - 95
Physics - 95
Chemistry - 95
4U Maths - 95
3U Maths - 98

2017 ATAR: 99.85