Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:49:26 pm

Author Topic: ATAR Notes - English (Paper 1) Practice Paper!  (Read 11183 times)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: ATAR Notes - English (Paper 1) Practice Paper!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 07:48:28 pm »
Can anyone mark the first two 2 mark questions. I'm not sure if I'm getting the full 2 marks. Thanks.

a) Through the use of salient image, the photograph prompts the viewer to consider perspective. The sun being the focal point, challenges the viewer to understand that, because of the careful positioning of the camera, the subject looks as though he is holding the sun.

b) Discovery may be sudden and unexpected. Through the use of second person inclusive language in 'You own nothing', Atwood confronts the reader, even though we did not expect to be a part of the text.

Hey :) So for the first part, I think you may have misinterpreted the question a bit... in terms of perspective (may have to double check with Elyse) I spoke about the use of contrast and how the sun, in comparison to the rest of the image, was the focal point and source of light (as you alluded to) but I tied this to, from the perspective of the farmer, the sun is the ultimate source of life and joy as it preserves and renews his crops. Thus, the image challenges the responder to reconsider the significance of something we barely even take account of from a different perspective, that being the farmer. That's personally how I did it, I personally would say that in addition, your answer doesn't really link back to discovery so in my opinion, I would say you may get 0 for that but definitely check with Elyse as I may be wrong :)
For the second one, even for two marks, despite the marker basically looking for a technique and explanation, it still needs to be longer than what you have written! Sorry! I do feel like your choice of textual reference here is definitely valid though :) I just feel like the explanation of it is lacking as you haven't explained how it actually confronts the responder. I understand the idea that she is directly confronting us with 'you' but just feel it needs just a bit more! Perhaps you could contrast it with the line in the first stanza - "I own this" to demonstrate how suddenly discoveries can change? I personally used the line "the air moves back from you like a wave and you can't breath" just because I interpreted the simile of a wave as representing the unexpected discovery of the power and force of nature (as I got the sense the poem was about the narrator at first thinking they have conquered nature but then mother nature basically throwing herself back in the narrator's face with all its power and might). Your evidence you used though is definitely right, I was going to use it myself! Just the explanation is lacking there so probably a 1/2 :) Hopefully you can get some more perspectives though!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:51:39 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

Godmaste

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Manly Selective Campus
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 11:29:42 pm »
How acceptable is it too use the 2 three markers as the 2 paragraphs in your 5 marker considering you incoporate the focus of the 5 markers into the 3 markers? I feel like this saves a lot of time and was wondering if using your previous responses is looked down upon.

Thanks

flashguts321

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Cranbrook
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 12:34:21 am »
Hi,

Just wondering which texts you would advise doing for the 5 mark response? Further, how would you go about answering the 2 imagery questions (i.e. what types of techniques is the marker looking for?).

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:36:28 am by flashguts321 »

ca052267

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 09:59:57 am »
Did anyone notice the 5 marker says "Text 1, Text 2, Text 3 and Text 3" on top of it?

Great paper though.
'In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.'
~ Albert Einstein ~

HSC 2017
Advanced English
General Maths 2
Biology
Food Technology
Textiles and Design

adelaidecruz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 10:18:08 am »
Hi I know this is VERY last minute but can anyone please check my responses? :D I just saw this paper an hour ago and I did my best lol :(

Text 2:
The poem emphasises the sudden nature of discovery as the high modality and negative diction of "we never belonged to you" despite the persona's contentment with his living situation in the accumulation of "house, half-acre, square mile, island, country" portrays the persona's discovery that he did not have a mutual emotional relationship with his surroundings (or the nature) after all.

Text 3:
The short story extract conveys the confronting nature of discoveries in the imagery "the colour drained from her face" as the girl "looked into the darkness in her throat." However, driven by her curiosity and wonder, she is eventually "awed by the discovery," portrayed by the imagery "trees swayed gracefully in the breeze" and the "tall buildings stood as proudly as skyscrapers in New York" hence communicating how the discovery offered the girl opportunities to speculate for new worlds.

Text 4:
The text communicates the unexpected nature of discoveries through the contrast of "frivolous inventions" that "ended up sparking momentous transformations" implying the overarching potential of discoveries, regardless of its initial insignificance. This is furthered in
someone's "brilliant idea of triggering sounds by pressing small levers with our fingers" which lead to the invention of the first musical keyboard which had a significant impact to broader society, as implied by the run-on sentence "keyboards evolved from organs to clavichords to harpsichords to the piano." Hence, externalising how unexpected discoveries can be transformative and intensely meaningful.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:19:56 am by adelaidecruz »
ATAR: 93.35
HSC 2017 - English Standard (94 - 11th in NSW) | Biology (92) | Chemistry (82) | Mathematics (83) | French Beginners (91)
2018-2022: B Sci (Physiology) / M Nursing @ USyd

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 10:31:51 am »
Hi I know this is VERY last minute but can anyone please check my responses? :D I just saw this paper an hour ago and I did my best lol :(

Text 2:
The poem emphasises the sudden nature of discovery as the high modality and negative diction of "we never belonged to you" despite the persona's contentment with his living situation in the accumulation of "house, half-acre, square mile, island, country" portrays the persona's discovery that he did not have a mutual emotional relationship with his surroundings (or the nature) after all.

Text 3:
The short story extract conveys the confronting nature of discoveries in the imagery "the colour drained from her face" as the girl "looked into the darkness in her throat." However, driven by her curiosity and wonder, she is eventually "awed by the discovery," portrayed by the imagery "trees swayed gracefully in the breeze" and the "tall buildings stood as proudly as skyscrapers in New York" hence communicating how the discovery offered the girl opportunities to speculate for new worlds.

Text 4:
The text communicates the unexpected nature of discoveries through the contrast of "frivolous inventions" that "ended up sparking momentous transformations" implying the overarching potential of discoveries, regardless of its initial insignificance. This is furthered in
someone's "brilliant idea of triggering sounds by pressing small levers with our fingers" which lead to the invention of the first musical keyboard which had a significant impact to broader society, as implied by the run-on sentence "keyboards evolved from organs to clavichords to harpsichords to the piano." Hence, externalising how unexpected discoveries can be transformative and intensely meaningful.

Hey :) I think you would be looking at 2/2 for your first response and 3/3 for your second response :) Both had great textual evidence and explanation. For the last question, your evidence and explanation of the discovery is great but the question was about imagery!! So, in that case, I'm not sure you would get many marks just because you may have missed out on that part of the question! But otherwise a fantastic attempt :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2017, 10:40:01 am »
Did anyone notice the 5 marker says "Text 1, Text 2, Text 3 and Text 3" on top of it?

Great paper though.

I didn't realise, thanks for pointing it out! We were under the pump to get the paper up. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Text 2:

Text 3:

Text 4:

Hey :) I think you would be looking at 2/2 for your first response and 3/3 for your second response :) Both had great textual evidence and explanation. For the last question, your evidence and explanation of the discovery is great but the question was about imagery!! So, in that case, I'm not sure you would get many marks just because you may have missed out on that part of the question! But otherwise a fantastic attempt :)

I agree with Dancing Phalanges! Except: we edited and re-uploaded the paper because it was a mistake that 3 and 4 had the same question, it duplicated when we were formatting when it should have been a different question. So Adelaidecruz is answering the new question, not the one about imagery, and I think you'd get full marks for it! :)

Hi,

Just wondering which texts you would advise doing for the 5 mark response? Further, how would you go about answering the 2 imagery questions (i.e. what types of techniques is the marker looking for?).

Thanks for the help!

Hi! Imagery should be the focus, so if you can identify the types of imagery that's great, but you could be pairing the imagery with other language techniques as well, like similes, or metaphors. You have a lot of freedom with this question, but you just need to be relating it to imagery: whether that be your only technique, or paired with others :)

How acceptable is it too use the 2 three markers as the 2 paragraphs in your 5 marker considering you incoporate the focus of the 5 markers into the 3 markers? I feel like this saves a lot of time and was wondering if using your previous responses is looked down upon.

Thanks

You can surely use the same techniques again, so if your analysis is adjusted to the focus of the last question then there's no issue! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 10:42:28 am »
Could someone please take a look at me thesis/intro? I’m doing the tempest and moonrise kingdom is my relates

Thanks!! :)(Image removed from quote.)

I really like the way you've paired the planning with the unexpected discoveries - that's a really nice link between what you would consider to be opposites in some ways. I think it's great!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2017, 10:44:05 am »
I didn't realise, thanks for pointing it out! We were under the pump to get the paper up. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I agree with Dancing Phalanges! Except: we edited and re-uploaded the paper because it was a mistake that 3 and 4 had the same question, it duplicated when we were formatting when it should have been a different question. So Adelaidecruz is answering the new question, not the one about imagery, and I think you'd get full marks for it! :)

Hi! Imagery should be the focus, so if you can identify the types of imagery that's great, but you could be pairing the imagery with other language techniques as well, like similes, or metaphors. You have a lot of freedom with this question, but you just need to be relating it to imagery: whether that be your only technique, or paired with others :)

You can surely use the same techniques again, so if your analysis is adjusted to the focus of the last question then there's no issue! :)

Oh sorry didn't realise that Elyse! Hence, why I found Text 4 the most difficult in terms of finding lots of imagery in it! Makes more sense now. But yeah she'd definitely get full marks then :)

adelaidecruz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 10:45:19 am »
Thank you so much for the feedback Elyse and dancing phalanges!! :D
ATAR: 93.35
HSC 2017 - English Standard (94 - 11th in NSW) | Biology (92) | Chemistry (82) | Mathematics (83) | French Beginners (91)
2018-2022: B Sci (Physiology) / M Nursing @ USyd

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 10:49:42 am »
Thank you so much for the feedback Elyse and dancing phalanges!! :D

Good luck with it all! Please let us know how you go, and ask any questions you have on the forums! :) Here to help.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 10:55:04 am »
Good luck with it all! Please let us know how you go, and ask any questions you have on the forums! :) Here to help.

Hey Elyse, just wondering for both Paper 1 and 2 could I use prescribed texts from Ext 1 if 2 related texts are required? I have my ORTs as backups as well but Frankenstein for example could work perfectly for me if I need an extra ORT for Mod C as I could argue Shelley is criticising the idealism of the people in overthrowing authority (politics). Similarly, I could use Lime Tree Bower My Prison by Coleridge about discovering the power of the imagination/wonder for the natural world. Obviously I don't want it to sound too obvious I took it from Extension but would this be alright? Otherwise I'll just stick with my ORTs as back ups (Chimney Sweeper by Blake - would this work with People and Politics as it is more having a go at Industrial England/the Church? and Wuthering heights by Bronte) Thanks :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 10:59:32 am »
+1
Hey Elyse, just wondering for both Paper 1 and 2 could I use prescribed texts from Ext 1 if 2 related texts are required? I have my ORTs as backups as well but Frankenstein for example could work perfectly for me if I need an extra ORT for Mod C as I could argue Shelley is criticising the idealism of the people in overthrowing authority (politics). Similarly, I could use Lime Tree Bower My Prison by Coleridge about discovering the power of the imagination/wonder for the natural world. Obviously I don't want it to sound too obvious I took it from Extension but would this be alright? Otherwise I'll just stick with my ORTs as back ups (Chimney Sweeper by Blake - would this work with People and Politics as it is more having a go at Industrial England/the Church? and Wuthering heights by Bronte) Thanks :)

You could certainly do this! The FAQ on the NESA website says it's fine to use prescribed texts from other modules or English courses as related texts. And it sounds like you've really covered all bases with this!

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 11:51:37 am »
+1
I really like the way you've paired the planning with the unexpected discoveries - that's a really nice link between what you would consider to be opposites in some ways. I think it's great!

Thanks Elyse! HMU study of the tempest hasn’t really focused on planned elements so much so i was hoping that kind of switching the focus to say planning initiated the discovery but the end result was unexpected would still be seen as answering the question. Thanks :)