Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 03:03:03 pm

Author Topic: Choosing a Related Text  (Read 1226 times)  Share 

martinnguyen1778

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Choosing a Related Text
« on: November 01, 2017, 10:09:22 pm »
Hey guys!

I am currently studying English Standard and my core text is Away by Michael Gow. (Discovery topic)

Now I have to choose a related text. But I am unsure whether a related text have to be related to the text 'Away' as in similar themes OR can you choose a related text that is based purely on the concepts of discovery (no relation to core text)

Any suggestions or replies will be appreciated!!

THANKS,
Martin

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Choosing a Related Text
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 10:21:31 pm »
+3
Welcome to the forums Martin!! ;D

Basically you want to be able to draw some sort of conceptual link, but the themes can be addressed in very different ways. One text might explore Discovery as a transformative process, the other might say it doesn't really have any significant impact if you don't want it to. And you end up comparing those two portrayals of Discovery. Provided you can make some link through Discovery, it works - Definitely doesn't have to be a carbon copy of 'Away,' though sometimes people choose texts like that and it does work :)

Elyse wrote this guide on choosing a good related, and even put together a list of a few suggestions if you were interested. Hope it help! ;D

martinnguyen1778

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Choosing a Related Text
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:35:47 pm »
+1
Thank you very much Jamon! Appreciate it