Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:40:21 am

Author Topic: Help with distant lands  (Read 1761 times)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Help with distant lands
« on: December 03, 2017, 01:53:31 pm »
Okay so i finally got myself a copy of distant lands to use as my related text. But im not sure where to go from here. Can people please point me in the right direction? Thankyou!!
P.s ELYSE, if you're reading this too, can you also give me some advice, because i know you used this text yourself. I'v read it and im not sure what to do next
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Help with distant lands
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 03:31:26 pm »
Okay so i finally got myself a copy of distant lands to use as my related text. But im not sure where to go from here. Can people please point me in the right direction? Thankyou!!
P.s ELYSE, if you're reading this too, can you also give me some advice, because i know you used this text yourself. I'v read it and im not sure what to do next

Hey Mada! I am reading this ;)

This is the essay I wrote using Distant Lands so have a look at it and see what my main topic ideas were. Admittedly, I can look back now and see there's so much depth I could have gone into but didn't. So have a look at my ideas, and then check the text again and see how it relates to your own prescribed text, and decide on which ideas you'd like to flesh out more :)

I'm here to bounce ideas off when you're ready! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 07:28:18 pm »
Hey Mada! I am reading this ;)

This is the essay I wrote using Distant Lands so have a look at it and see what my main topic ideas were. Admittedly, I can look back now and see there's so much depth I could have gone into but didn't. So have a look at my ideas, and then check the text again and see how it relates to your own prescribed text, and decide on which ideas you'd like to flesh out more :)

I'm here to bounce ideas off when you're ready! :)
Okay, i'm at a loss. I've spent a solid hour looking between the text and your essay and have nothing to show for it. Obviously you're seeing a lot of stuff that im missing
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 08:04:54 pm »
Okay, i'm at a loss. I've spent a solid hour looking between the text and your essay and have nothing to show for it. Obviously you're seeing a lot of stuff that im missing

What kind of ideas are you looking to explore about discovery in your prescribed text? Perhaps I can suggest places to draw comparisons in Distant Lands? :)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 08:11:46 pm »
What kind of ideas are you looking to explore about discovery in your prescribed text? Perhaps I can suggest places to draw comparisons in Distant Lands? :)
Looking at concepts to do with unexpected discoveries or discoveries through careful planning.
My first concept is "Discoveries can emerge from careful planning, but these discoveries often have unexpected and unforeseen consequences as a result. These consequences can be either positive or negative." and i was looking at prospero and how is he is angry at the beginning and planning revenge (sort of?) and juxtaposing that to the end where he has transforms and learns to forgive and have mercy

My first distant lands one is "While discoveries can emerge from careful planning, it is often discoveries that are unexpected that provide the most intensely meaningful and unexpected and surprising of consequences."

I still need 2 more, and i'm not even sure how good these ones are!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 08:30:38 pm »
Looking at concepts to do with unexpected discoveries or discoveries through careful planning.
My first concept is "Discoveries can emerge from careful planning, but these discoveries often have unexpected and unforeseen consequences as a result. These consequences can be either positive or negative." and i was looking at prospero and how is he is angry at the beginning and planning revenge (sort of?) and juxtaposing that to the end where he has transforms and learns to forgive and have mercy

My first distant lands one is "While discoveries can emerge from careful planning, it is often discoveries that are unexpected that provide the most intensely meaningful and unexpected and surprising of consequences."

I still need 2 more, and i'm not even sure how good these ones are!

I used the idea of planning/lack of planning in my essay too! I think it's a good idea.

Some ideas in Distant Lands:

-Uninspiring environments are a catalyst for discoveries
-Relationships as a catalyst for discoveries
-New perspectives found unexpectedly
-A change in an environment can lead to discoveries
-Willingness to embrace change as an indicator of the significance of discovery