Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 06:46:50 am

Author Topic: discovery  (Read 3541 times)  Share 

username2000

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: discovery
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 05:56:59 pm »
@Jake Silove....i read ur post english fr maths students because it realtes to me!!...could you pls edit this again for me if possible...thanku

Visual text Analysis:
Discoveries can be unique and deeply personal, being diverse and varied as they differ from one person to another. The “Aboriginal Art Library” shows the nature of discoveries with an open book on top of a wooden table with aboriginal hand paintings in the background. This text has a clear link with Frosts poem “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”, who’s poem reveals two dichotomous aspects of discovery. The first is sudden and unexpected, as he passes by the same woods everyday but suddenly discovers a glimpse of the beauty of pastoral nature one day. The second is an emotional discovery which is very bleak as he realises he must turn his back on this mystical scene and face the harsh reality of his mundane life.
This can be further emphasised by the use of the salient image of the book which symbolises the ambiguous nature of discoveries and how they can develop and change just as the book will when it is read. The discovery will stand out but its nature cannot yet be determined till the narrative unfolds, in a sense it will never end. Discoveries are reflective of the individual and can grow and change depending on the person. In the text “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”, the persona stumbles upon a beautiful part of the woods and remarks that he has stopped to “watch his woods fill up with snow”, symbolising the mysticism and the seductive qualities of the wood. Similarly we are transported to discover new worlds and values as we are enticed into reading a glorious storybook.
Discoveries can be short-lived, as is displayed in both texts. They are wonderful when they are experienced, but one must always turn back to his working life. This is shown in the Aboriginal Art Library text with contrast between the light evolving from the book and the dark background representing the division amongst our leisure and working lives. This is displayed in the poem with the quote “And miles to go before I sleep/And miles to go before I sleep”, using repetition to exaggerate the distance needed to travel still, adding emphasis to the mundane existence of the working man and creating an atmosphere of resignation. He regrets not being able to enjoy the mystical scene for longer, but he must go back to his working life.  This is also shown with the contrast between the book and the background, showing that the book is full of light and life, whereas the reader is in a world of darkness in reality.
It is true that discoveries are unique to the individual and vary in nature and diversity, not unlike a book. The two texts reveal to us the ramifications of particular discoveries and how they may differ for individuals and their worlds.
468 words

Fiction Prose Analysis:
Discoveries are not always easily understood and sometimes evoke feelings of grief which cause conflict between those loved and close to our hearts. Frost’s poem Home Burial tells the story of a couple whose babe has died, and the husband is finding it difficult to communicate with his wife as a result of their different ways of dealing with sorrow, his masculine and hers feminine. Similarly, in Kate Chopin’s novella the Story of an Hour the protagonist experiences woe over hearing the death of her husband, but her emotions seem ironic as she suddenly discovers a freedom that only a broken marriage can create.
The type of discovery experienced in the poem is and emotional and physical discovery which is sudden and unexpected. Louise, the protagonist, discovers that her husband is dead and having just got over it, when she suddenly realises he isn’t. It is a two stage discovery, proving that discoveries can be false, and they can be confronting and provocative, however intensely meaningful, leading to new worlds and values. This enabled her to speculate about future possibilities. Her reaction to the news can be shown in the quote “when the storm of grief had spent itself she went to her room alone. She would have no one follow her.” The metaphor “storm of grief” emphasises the sudden shock and initial revelation, leading to her needing time to get over the sadness alone. Discovery can bring storms that are tumultuous and result in dramatic emotions. This is further emphasised in the next line “Into this armchair she sunk, pressed down by a physical exhaustion that haunted her body and seemed to reach into her soul”.  Again it is the metaphor that proves her desperately emotional situation, describing her exhaustion as pressing and haunting her body, and seems to “reach into her soul”. This demonstrates that she can’t escape from her fatigue, just as she can’t escape from the news of her husband. Need more on this text
Likewise, the type of discovery experienced in the narrative is an emotional one, and leading to new worlds and values the family has discovered that though they have lost all their material things but they still have each other and the love that they share. The story links with the poem in the way that amidst the overwhelming grief they have discovered something beautiful. The quote “Three foggy mornings and one rainy day/ will rot the best birch fence a man can build.” Exposes his masculine emotions, showing the brevity of life. It is a meaningful analogy, representing his grief, as opposed to the feminine emotions of the woman where her statement is a banal, useless thing to say. Her mindset is further defined with the repetition of the word alone in the quote “No, from the time when one is sick to death,/ one is alone, he dies more alone”, representing her emotions and meaning we get over death far too quickly. She is finding it difficult to understand his train of thoughts, where he appears not to understand, but really he is bottling up his emotions inside, as typical of the contextual constraints of masculinity. The repetition of the pronoun “You” emphasises her tone of accusation as she displays her anger as a way of hiding her intense feelings of heartache. He “fixed his chin between his fists” showing how he was being aggressive and stubborn as a way of retaliating to her accusations of his character.
Ultimately, these two texts emphasise how discoveries are not always positive, however they can be in two stages and therefore eventually leading to new worlds and values.

574 words

Non-Fiction Prose Analysis:
Obamas Farewell Speech displays discovery of human fellowship and how this helps him to discover a driving force that exists in his life and what Barack Obama has undergone throughout his presidency, having positive ramifications on his human nature, causing him to mature. In Frost’s poem “The Tuft of Flowers”, the composer reveals the protagonist to become aware of the social misdeeds that are present in the world that cause his eyes to open to the need of human fellowship. However his dejection results in nature becoming a spur that stimulates a sudden and unforeseen self-discovery, surpassing his former temperament of despair to revitalize his sense of pride and his sentiment of association to humanity.
The transformation of character and morality in Obama’s Farewell Speech Obama shows feels a sense of pride and achievement in what he has done and reached through to in himself in serving his country. He is self-driven by curiosity which drives him to discover his own self-worth and the mutual connection with the citizens in his country. Upon speaking about the nations call to citizenship, Obama states that “it’s what led patriots to choose republic over tyranny”, using juxtaposition compare the difference between good and bad, and what comes out of doing the right thing for your country. This choice meant that the people’s voices were heard rather than having to fear their cruel leader. Similarly, “The Tuft of Flowers” reveals the protagonists reflection of peaceful times in the quote ‘some resting flower of yesterday’s delight’, symbolising the past as being idyllic. This highlights his reflection of self in his history, and how this has changed his outlook of society’s people. These opposing texts demonstrate how an individual’s journey is shaped by their choices, which in turn expose their true character.
Obama’s discovery of maturation that is formed throughout his presidency is achieved by listening to the voices of his fellow American countrymen and striving to lift others up instead of leading in cruel tranny. This can be supported by a quote from his farewell speech “You made me a better president. You made me a better man.” The use of repetition better emphasises how leading the American citizens has inspired and stimulated him to enhance his probing human nature. This can be compared with a quote from Robert Frost’s poem “The Tuft of Flowers”, ‘I said within my heart’, using metaphor to convey his self-reflection that is deeply emotional and has a portion in forming his inquisitive character. Evidently, the texts expose how discoveries and ideas of maturation are shared amongst different personalities.
Ultimately, these two texts reveal how every discovery is sometimes unique to the individual and therefore expose the true strength and weakness of their character.  Their discovery is shaped by choices, and a driving force to discover which is evoked by curiosity, often leading to positive ramifications.
476 words

username2000

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: discovery
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 03:39:13 pm »
@jake silove....i also read ur post using big words, tricking english teachers and wondered if i could put 'apropros' into this sentence: This text has a clear link with Frosts poem..
would i say 'Apropros to Frost poem "stopping b w o a s e", this text' or not at all? :-[

Hello Elyse,

In regards to what you said a bout my 2nd analysis, where story of an hour needed more depth, how can i do this when i am already 55 over the 450-550 word limit??
Many Thanks :)

what about this...The transformation of character and morality in Obama’s Farewell Speech Obama shows he feels a sense of pride and achievement in what he has done and reached through to in himself in serving his country so assiduously.
or this ;D
(instead of it is true)It is axiomatic that/ Axiomatically, discoveries are unique to the individual and vary in nature and diversity, not unlike a book.
and this...
Again it is the metaphor that proves her desperately emotional situation
(Capricious disposition),
describing her exhaustion as pressing and haunting her body, and seems to “reach into her soul”.

where can i put clandestine?
Her reaction to the news can be shown in the quote “when the storm of grief had spent itself she went to her room alone. She would have no one follow her.” The metaphor “storm of grief” emphasises the sudden shock and initial revelation, leading to her needing time to get over the sadness alone. Discovery can bring storms that are tumultuous and result in dramatic emotions. This is further emphasised in the next line “Into this armchair she sunk, pressed down by a physical exhaustion that haunted her body and seemed to reach into her soul”.  Again it is the metaphor that proves her desperately emotional situation, describing her exhaustion as pressing and haunting her body, and seems to “reach into her soul”. This demonstrates that she can’t escape from her fatigue, just as she can’t escape from the news of her husband.

does denouement fit in here??This is displayed in the denouement of the poem with the quote “And miles to go before I sleep/And miles to go before I sleep”, using repetition to exaggerate the distance needed to travel still, adding emphasis to the mundane existence of the work

desultory here..adding emphasis to the desultory existence of the working man and creating an atmosphere of resignation.

Mod edit: merged chain posts - please click "modify" next to your first post if you have something to add next time to avoid chain posting :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:28:01 pm by K888 »