Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 05:07:08 pm

Author Topic: Stopping by the Woods on a snowy evening confronting and provocative? Help?  (Read 1493 times)

jswimj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Hey everyone,

I have to write a practice essay for school, and the question is "Discoveries can be confronting and provocative"

I can't seem to find anything confronting or provocative on Stopping by the woods or Tuft of flowers.
What other Frost poems would work well with this?

Can someone please help?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:13:02 pm by jswimj »

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
+3
Hey,
The two poems that I mainly did last year were Stopping by Woods and Mending Wall.

Stopping by Woods
- The personas isolation in the woods and the snow fall could lead to death.
- I wrote that the metaphorical qualities of ‘snow’ in the quote, ‘watch his woods fill up with snow’ portrays an image of death, and shows how discoveries may be confronting and provocative.
- Visual imagery to show that the ‘woods are lovely, dark and deep’ is contrasted with the abruptness of the phrase ‘I have promises to keep’, showing that discoveries can change an individual’s mindset therefore impacting their reaction to the discovery.
- Some interpretations of the poem also refer the sleep in ‘miles to go before I sleep’ as death.

Mending Wall
- I wrote that the personas neighbours inability to change was a confronting discovery.
- E.g  The irony expressed through ‘we meet to walk the line/and set the wall between us once again’, shows the confronting nature of discoveries as these actions have now become routine. This is equally achieved through the metaphor ‘just another kind of outdoor game’, conveying the futility of their work.

Home Burial
- You could talk about the death of the child and the arguments between the parents as they struggle to understand each others grief as being confronting.

Hope this helps :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

jswimj

• Trailblazer
Thank you! This is really helpful,

I am still a little confused on the Stopping by woods sorry,

Could you please explain how the snow portrays an image of death?

Thank you!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
+1
Thank you! This is really helpful,

I am still a little confused on the Stopping by woods sorry,

Could you please explain how the snow portrays an image of death?

Thank you!
Hey,
Because the snow is falling it covers all living things and could cover the rider if he stops for too long (and he does stop in the second stanza).
Hope this helps! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

jswimj

• Trailblazer
Thank you!

Do I have to write this and explain this to the marker in the essay, or would they understand where I'm coming from If i just wrote that the snow portrayed an image of death?

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
+1
Thank you!

Do I have to write this and explain this to the marker in the essay, or would they understand where I'm coming from If i just wrote that the snow portrayed an image of death?
In my HSC I didn't explain it and I just wrote that snow portrayed death. Im pretty sure the markers know the poems really well so it should be ok :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
+2
In my HSC I didn't explain it and I just wrote that snow portrayed death. Im pretty sure the markers know the poems really well so it should be ok :)

Definitely agree - Assume your markers know the text, only give them as much detail as you need to give such that someone who has read the text can follow your argument ;D

jswimj

• Trailblazer
+1
Oh, ok

Thank you guys!