Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 08:16:05 pm

Author Topic: short answer discovery  (Read 2090 times)

laurn

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
short answer discovery
« on: January 28, 2018, 10:53:23 pm »
Hi :)
 I'm struggling the most with Paper 1's short answer section the most. I've tried to practice my responses with past trial papers but its difficult to know if ive written the correct answer. I also don't know how long I'm supposed to write for and I can't pick up the discovery in some of the unseen texts. Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve?
Thanks in advance

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
Re: short answer discovery
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 11:02:56 pm »
+4
Hey there!
So the way I approach the unseen texts is by directly answering the question given. You don't have a lot of time to do this, so use the question as your guide to structuring your response, and make sure you don't use all of the obvious techniques right away. Save some for the 5/6 marker at the end! To approach an unseen text, read the question before you begin to read the text. You save time because you're not straining yourself to understand the text in order to answer the question, and you're voluntarily looking more closely at the ideas that explore the concepts given by the question. Then, use the question as your structured guide.

For example, if the question was: How does this text convey ONE concept of discovery?, you can use the question itself by directly "paraphrasing" the question.
Text One conveys the unexpected nature of discovery as [idea]. As long as you've directly answered the question, you'll be good. (Also: note that the marks allocated per question is indicative of the length that your response should be. 2 marks usually mean 1-2 techniques, 3 marks usually mean 2-3 techniques, 4 marks usually mean 4 techniques, etc).

Hopefully, this helps with your question. Feel free to ask more questions, and good luck with the HSC!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: short answer discovery
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:25:41 am »
Hi :)
 I'm struggling the most with Paper 1's short answer section the most. I've tried to practice my responses with past trial papers but its difficult to know if ive written the correct answer. I also don't know how long I'm supposed to write for and I can't pick up the discovery in some of the unseen texts. Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve?
Thanks in advance
Hey! I always use a structure of two and a half minutes per mark. So id spend 5 minutes on a two mark question (remember you only have 40 minutes, so you need to try and maximise your time).
Also, building on what opengangs has said, i would put 1 technique for 2 marks, 2/3 for 3/4 marks and probably 4, Maybe even 5 for the 5/6 marker depemding on what i can find.
 Try to structure them looslely like an essay paragraph. Paraphrase thw question first like opengangs said, then state your evidence and its analysis, maybe some critical analysis about how it answers the question and then a concluding sentence.
If you're worried that you're not answering the question properly, tjen get your teacher to mark your responses to see if you're on the right track!

Hope this helps!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU