Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 05:28:47 pm

Author Topic: Losing Motivation  (Read 1179 times)

OC8033

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Losing Motivation
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:04:36 pm »
I'm seriously struggling to stay motivated in Adv. English - we are currently doing Pride and Prejudice and Letters to Alice but it feels like everything is washing over me. I can barely stand Weldon (I'm only halfway through Letters to Alice) and I'm just not engaged in class. I really want to be engaged and motivated but it's like my brain won't let me.

Any tips to help me over come this?

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: Losing Motivation
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:19:51 pm »
+6
I'm seriously struggling to stay motivated in Adv. English - we are currently doing Pride and Prejudice and Letters to Alice but it feels like everything is washing over me. I can barely stand Weldon (I'm only halfway through Letters to Alice) and I'm just not engaged in class. I really want to be engaged and motivated but it's like my brain won't let me.

Hey! Welcome to ATAR Notes! :D

To answer your question, I'd recommend trying and find something that you like about the course. Maybe you don't like your texts but you could try and find joy in analysis, writing or another aspect of the current module. This may help you be motivated to improve in these aspects of the class, despite the texts. Ultimately though, no one but you will have the answer to what motivates you, so hopefully you find the ability to control your motivational horse and propel yourself forward (yeah, that wasnt the greatest metaphor but lets go with it...)
Good luck   :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

FighForADFA2018

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 03:44:07 pm »
+1
Its really important to keep a positive mindset, think about how you can always get something out of everything!!  ;D ;D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:18:25 pm »
+2

Hey there!
Welcome to ATAR Notes! One of the great things about this community is that we've been there!

As for your concern, have you been over-studying recently- yes that is a thing! If you have, maybe you've burnt yourself out. As cliche and silly as this sounds, maybe you need to step back from English and occupy yourself with something that's not related to English- maybe a math or science subject? I've found that if I focused too much on math, I get so exhausted and lose all my motivation so I force myself to do a subject that doesn't relate to math at all.

Another suggestion I have is to complete something small that's related to English. Maybe skim read a synopsis? Or watch Pride and Prejudice (watch the BBC version- Colin Firth is amazing- and read the novel too)? Do a small, English-related task; this can help boost your motivation. When you complete something, satisfaction hits you, and that satisfaction is what drives you to do more and do better. But remember, don't push yourself to the brink of anxiety- really unhealthy for you, especially since Year 12 is your last year of high school.

Hope you rediscover your motivation!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW