Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:30:15 pm

Author Topic: Need Advice ASAP :/  (Read 1381 times)  Share 

AlanMate

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Need Advice ASAP :/
« on: March 02, 2018, 03:10:11 pm »
Hello, so earlier today i had my Module A exam for eng. I completely had a mind-black which resulted for me to finish 1 idea and didn't finish the rest. I think it will be a fail but anyways there's nothing I can do. 

But basically my first exam was weighted 15% which was a Viva voce, which I got 13/15. Not bad.
This second exam I completely bombed it which was also 15% and stuffed up. And my next exam is half-yearly in a week time.

I'm just wondering will this heavily affect my marks for my final ATAR?

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Need Advice ASAP :/
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 04:09:35 pm »
+3
Hello, so earlier today i had my Module A exam for eng. I completely had a mind-black which resulted for me to finish 1 idea and didn't finish the rest. I think it will be a fail but anyways there's nothing I can do. 

But basically, my first exam was weighted 15% which was a Viva voce, which I got 13/15. Not bad.
This second exam I completely bombed it which was also 15% and stuffed up. And my next exam is half-yearly in a week time.

Am I just wondering will this heavily affect my marks for my final ATAR?
Good work on your first task; it's a shame that the second task turned out the way it did  :( but you said it yourself, you there's not much you can do
In terms of how it will affect your final ATAR (I'm no expert on scaling or anything like that) but it won't have a big significant impact.
Your internal mark (all your assessments, half yearlies and trials) make up 100 marks or 100%, by missing out on say 10% of that, the maximum mark you can still achieve is 90/100. But then for your final ATAR, that mark out of 100 only counts for 50% of your grade in that subject. The other 50% comes from a mark out of 100 for the actual HSC EXAM. Those two marks are then averaged. So say you get 80 as an internal mark and 70 as an external (HSC exam mark), then your final grade for that subject should be 75/100.
This is the way I interpret it

All in all, while missing those marks will have some impact on your ATAR. Its impact will not be hugely significant. You'll just have to work extra hard at the rest of your internal assessments and the HSC exam.

Hope everything goes well!
Good luck!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Need Advice ASAP :/
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 12:43:40 am »
But i thought the internal exams only mattered about rank which is achieved through the marks? Since diff schools has diff exams and etc.

Yeah you are correct, the internal marks are discarded, only rank matters (and relative distance between ranks)!! But the core of what Mada is saying still reigns true, this is one task for one subject and it's only internals - No reason to stress at all! ;D

A guide on how marks are calculated, from start to finish, if you are interested ;D