Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:02:42 am

Author Topic: Linking your related text to the rubric  (Read 1414 times)

sheeza.khalid

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Linking your related text to the rubric
« on: March 18, 2018, 10:27:30 pm »
So my half-yearly is in a week and I'm having troubles linking my related text (Ozymandias) to the AOS rubric. Helppppp  :'(

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Linking your related text to the rubric
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 02:14:20 pm »
+2
So my half-yearly is in a week and I'm having troubles linking my related text (Ozymandias) to the AOS rubric. Helppppp  :'(

Hey there!

What drew you to the text to begin with? Maybe you could use the most obvious point of discovery as a starting point?

I'd print out a copy of the rubric and look at the parts of each sentence of the rubric and identify where it is in your text. It could be in a really small way, because even these small notes add up to create a bigger, compounded, discovery.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 03:48:05 pm »
+2
Hey! I really agree with what elyse has said to use a rubric copy to find links and then talk about them to your teacher. Also look at how your perscribed relates to discovery and try to compare and contrast those ways in your related through exploring your concepts.
Some examples i used: sudden and unexpected discovery, confronting and intensely meaningful, emotional, intellectual discoveries

But i really implore you to find your own, because it makes your analysis stronger as you completely undertstand what you're arguing as you found it in the first place!

Good luck!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 05:00:01 pm »
+1
Hey there,
One thing I remember from the English lectures was that when relating your related text to the rubric, take note on what the situation was like prior to the discovery, the catalyst and the impacts of that discovery. Through this, you can fit these three ideas with the rubric (e.g. situation prior to discovery --> context and values?; post-discovery --> ramifications of discovery? Transformative?)

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

sheeza.khalid

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 07:43:24 pm »
Thanks for the help guys!
However, I'm finding it really hard to answer essay questions about the impact of discovery on my related text. Is there any way i can talk about the impact of discovery on the reader, or maybe go against the question and say there wasn't an impact ?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 07:59:31 pm »
+2
Thanks for the help guys!
However, I'm finding it really hard to answer essay questions about the impact of discovery on my related text. Is there any way i can talk about the impact of discovery on the reader, or maybe go against the question and say there wasn't an impact ?
Hey there,
If your question is talking about the impact of discovery on the audience, you can always talk about how discovery through characters can become a provocative discovery on the audience. The whole point of characters is to parallel the composer's process of discovery so we as an audience can discover the themes and values the composer wants us to learn about.

So you can analyse your text as you usually would, except skew your analyse towards how these values and themes impact the audience, i.e. what is something the audience can pick up from your text.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW