Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:51:11 pm

Author Topic: Module A - Vertigo  (Read 3232 times)  Share 

StephTol

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Module A - Vertigo
« on: February 22, 2018, 01:16:04 pm »
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here has studied or is studying Vertigo by Amanda Lohery.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Module A - Vertigo
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:38:39 pm »
+1
hey, welcome to the forums! i hope AN will become a great place for you throughout the year. and maybe beyond!

funnily enough, i did study Vertigo - i know, how rare! do you have any questions about it?
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

StephTol

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 12:35:00 pm »
Hey, I was wondering what are the main ideas you would talk about in regards to Vertigo? Just because I am struggling a bit with the Module.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 01:32:02 pm »
+1
Hey, I was wondering what are the main ideas you would talk about in regards to Vertigo? Just because I am struggling a bit with the Module.

My main ideas were moving from an urban to rural landscape, and how the boy shows the journey of Luke and Anna as they move on from a world of grief. You should talk about how distinctively visual assists the reader to look at L+A's journey as they learn to live with what they've gone through.

Here's a few things you can talk about in an essay:
- The fire is a metaphor for renewal
- The birds symbolise Luke's personal journey (especially the one he doesn't know the name of!). He doesn't know the name of the bird at the end, but he comes to terms with his loss even though he'll never know the boy.
- The Promised Land motif/metaphor is representative of the rural landscape - it's meant to be an escape for them, to run away from their grief because the city is described as suffocating, like in the first line of the book: "There are birds in the city, but in the city, you rarely see them..." etc etc I can't remember the quote.
- the boy!!!!! super important - he's the reason Luke and Anna are going through the things they're going through.

Distinctively Visual is just writing out bs. A lot of it. You choose the themes you want, then you pick out some quotes you think would go well, go through the techniques, then explain how it's distinctively visual, i.e. make up some stuff about how the reader can experience it for themselves or something.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW