Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:57:55 am

Author Topic: Brainstorming for my story needed!  (Read 1676 times)

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
Brainstorming for my story needed!
« on: March 29, 2018, 06:40:10 pm »
This is the beginning of my creative writing:

Spoiler
My earliest memory of my mother was watching her dance. As a child, I would sit in the stalls and watch her rehearsals, craning my neck to watch her whimsically whip her tulle tutu around her slim body. It elegantly hovered over the stage, never quite touching it, but always coming close. Under that golden proscenium arch, she was incandescent. Afterwards, we would run backstage, hand in hand. Praise and roses graced her and she soaked it all in. As I did I, whisking along right there beside her. Ballet and all its prestige, regality and vibrancy consumed me. But….

Any ideas where I can go from here? Please help me brainstorm! I will return the favour by helping you brainstorm your ideas as well, or I'll happily read over your creative writing to help!

I have already thought:
- Her mum is dying and she contrasts her beauty from her younger years to her in older age (however, I feel like this is cliché?)
2018 HSC

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Brainstorming for my story needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 11:08:25 pm »
+1
Love your start! Based on the paragraph you're a great writer ;)

I like this start because you've got a character and a scenario - You can adjust the situation slightly to hit different concepts. So the concept is what I'd start with - Which aspect of the rubric do you want to target? What's the moral lesson?

I reckon this is worth a read!

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 01:04:28 am »

I like this start because you've got a character and a scenario - You can adjust the situation slightly to hit different concepts. So the concept is what I'd start with - Which aspect of the rubric do you want to target? What's the moral lesson?

Thank you so much! That lessens my stress haha. I'll give it a read right now!  :)

2018 HSC

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 11:39:01 pm »

Hi Jamon! So I've been attempting to write my creative all day today and I'm really struggling to develop a concept.  :-\ This is the hardest part for me and I really cannot think of a moral for a story, nor an actual story! Do you have any ideas on where I can go from my initial paragraph?? I want the character to discover something through her Mum and her Mum's love for ballet and the world of ballet that she was raised it (it's beautiful and regal and just transformative) but I have absolutely no idea what she can discover ughhhhh!

Thank you so much for helping btw!

2018 HSC

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 12:01:45 am »
Oh, and if anyone else reading this needs help brainstorming for their creatives, I'm more than happy to help! Just PM me and let me know if you have started a thread and I'll contribute to it!
2018 HSC

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 12:10:35 am »
+1
Hi Jamon! So I've been attempting to write my creative all day today and I'm really struggling to develop a concept.  :-\ This is the hardest part for me and I really cannot think of a moral for a story, nor an actual story! Do you have any ideas on where I can go from my initial paragraph?? I want the character to discover something through her Mum and her Mum's love for ballet and the world of ballet that she was raised it (it's beautiful and regal and just transformative) but I have absolutely no idea what she can discover ughhhhh!

Thank you so much for helping btw!

Happy to help! Try to think types of discoveries. So for example, a physical discovery - Maybe she discovers (or is dealing with the discovery) that she is physically incapable of emulating her mother, due to a disability or an injury or _______. Brainstorm around this and the other types to get you going maybe?

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 12:34:32 am »
Happy to help! Try to think types of discoveries. So for example, a physical discovery - Maybe she discovers (or is dealing with the discovery) that she is physically incapable of emulating her mother, due to a disability or an injury or _______. Brainstorm around this and the other types to get you going maybe?

Ok, I have taken your word and have come up with this! So, as a child she was inspired by her mother's dancing and was swept up in ballet. However, as she grew up, she realised that her 'passion' for ballet was only for watching it and appreciating it, not for actually doing it. So basically she stands on the same stage that her mum did (when she watched her as a small child) but she discovers how it's not the life she wants and she walks off. I feel like the concept is quite underdeveloped and rough - is there any way I can work on it?? Also, do you think it's okay?

Thanks!  :)

2018 HSC