Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 05, 2024, 06:44:11 pm

Author Topic: The Fundamental Dogma of Year 12  (Read 951 times)

TheBigC

The Fundamental Dogma of Year 12
« on: September 22, 2018, 01:29:09 am »
+8
The Fundamental Dogma of Year 12

It is an undeniable conviction that year 12 is an anxiety-ridden year, consumed by apprehension, neuroticism and very high “highs”, in concomitance to very low “lows”. I often couple this year with the analogue of a kite flying amidst a variable wind. Sometimes the wind will blow optimally, and your kite will fly with efficacy and during these momentous occasions we will find ourselves able to resort to our own marginal cynicisms and appreciate our industry. Contrarily, the wind may quell, wherein we will have a proclivity to lower our guard and idle, sometimes – dangerously – becoming lazy as we indulge within our insouciance and occupy a false belief of security. Lastly, the strength of the wind may overwhelm us to the extent that the kite becomes difficult to grasp and the world appears malevolent, elusive and henceforth we find ourselves in the trenches of a depressive state. Ultimately, these processes are – for the most part – inevitable and impart great wisdom, teaching us the fundamental nature of the human condition.

So, why is it that I have articulated this fairly obvious, often trivialised notion? In this article, which I write in the aftermath of my final day of term 3, during a period of reflection, lucidity and consolidation, I aim to identify what I purport to be the dogma that coincides with this final denouement, this departure from youth, the beginning of an end and the exultance, trepidation and precipitous incertitude that follows me down a path I now venture.

Despite my verbose introductory comments, I will candidly intimate an idiom I hold dearly, that I believe captures this year with a propensity to imbue further wisdom (trust me! You could analyse this quotation for a lifetime and still come to novel conclusions!):

“You don't get to choose not to pay a price, you only get to choose which price you pay” – Jordan B. Peterson.

In my own reflections, the ultimate and conclusive sentiments that I espouse about the dogmatic fundamentalisms that accompany this year are supported through the integrity of this quotation. Year 12 is a year of sacrifice. For me, I have sacrificed my family, my friends, and perhaps most perniciously, my mental health. I spent family nights studying (and have done so for the past 3 years), I have refused to go out with friends as the guilt that conjures with my psyche renders me unable to enjoy any given transient occasion and the isolation that I have bestowed upon to myself has driven me to occasions of temporary depression, largely through deprived social sustenance that humans have evolved to coexist with: and if Darwin has insinuated anything, perhaps the most poignant of that would be that evolution always wins. In relation to the idiom, I have paid the ultimate price. I chose to pay the price of love, friendship and sanity in exchange for a transaction that would see me succeed on an academic basis.

Now, it is imperative that a perspicacity regarding my sacrifices and the associated academic repercussions is had. One can succeed without the level of sacrifice that I encountered. They can succeed more than I did and likely with greater satisfaction. What is conducive to this success, however, is maturity. Therefore, I am writing to you today to substantiate maturity, so you do not have to confront what I did – so that you do not make the same mistakes that I have.

I have babbled on for far longer than I had desired, so I will finalise my piece with a short, though important summary. Holistically, the key to year 12 is year 11. One must establish terrific work ethic, and social, as well as, physical habits during year 11 and act to maintain these during year 12. It is important that you acknowledge what is most important in life for you and for everybody what is most important is variable, and that is okay! We all have our own idiosyncrasies, ideologies, theologies and secular philosophies: embrace these. Despite these differences, the unchanging characteristics remain, and that constitutes where my general spiel has its applications. You must be industrious if you want to see your maximal potential met, and to maintain optimal mental health – you must have a non-academic outlet. Gaming, exercise, discourse with friends are all viable options. 

I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavours and hope that my article was insightful.