Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 03:03:26 pm

Author Topic: The road to riches  (Read 5047 times)  Share 

brendan

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 04:48:35 pm by brendan »

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
Re: The road to riches
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 04:47:36 pm »
Steven Chang is a legend, good man :)  He's only 24 and has $100K net-worth, niice :) He started when he enter uni, exactly what I want to do :D  :smitten: :smitten:

Quote from: brendan
(Image removed from quote.)

MMMMMMM indeed :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 04:53:37 pm by AppleXY »

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

costargh

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 05:33:23 pm »
Yeh does anyone actually know whether you are allowed to purchase shares if you're under 18?
Because my parents want to give me money for Christmas to invest (along with some of my savings) in shares. I find it really interesting and also want to have an investment property by the time I'm 22. Mmm it all sounds so exciting. lol

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 05:39:28 pm »
Yeh does anyone actually know whether you are allowed to purchase shares if you're under 18?
Because my parents want to give me money for Christmas to invest (along with some of my savings) in shares. I find it really interesting and also want to have an investment property by the time I'm 22. Mmm it all sounds so exciting. lol
if u cant ur parents should be able to apply for an account, and u can trade under their name...

i thought about investing for a while, but now that labor's in charge and interest rate is set to go up, i'll sit this one out, the outlook = not so great...
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

joshuamorgan

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 05:44:54 pm »

Sure can. I invested back when I was in Grade 4 (my parent's impulse and, ultimately, under their guidance). I intend on purchasing an investment property when I'm 18/19. ;) Don't wanna be working all my life.

costargh

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 05:48:44 pm »

Sure can. I invested back when I was in Grade 4 (my parent's impulse and, ultimately, under their guidance). I intend on purchasing an investment property when I'm 18/19. ;) Don't wanna be working all my life.

I would ideally like to purchase an investment property as soon as possible but the problem is getting the finance. So yeh. Might wait until after Uni

joshuamorgan

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 06:01:41 pm »
Same here. I'll have no money by the time I finish school as it will be spent on a car. That means the following year I'll have to save the money I earn.

costargh

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 06:05:34 pm »
Yeh. I've got a good stash saved up though =) and theres no way ill be spending all of it on car LOL
So yeh thats why I am looking at investing it into shares (with the money my parents are giving me for xmas). I've done some research and been following David Jones' shares for a few months, reading through reports and stuff. Seems like a pretty safe yet promising investment.

Anyone else have thoughts on the share market?

brendan

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 06:25:21 pm »

I would ideally like to purchase an investment property as soon as possible but the problem is getting the finance. So yeh. Might wait until after Uni

may i suggest a sub-prime mortgage :P

AppleXY

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 08:51:03 am »
LOL. Sub-prime mortgage lolz.

[quote="Benjamin F

Odette

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 09:14:59 am »
Hmm I've always wanted to as well (purchase an investment property)... but i probably will in a few years ... not sure about the share market thing though, i think my parents own shares in a company of some sort not sure lol, or something similar but its overseas =) hehe

AppleXY

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 11:44:58 am »
After uni? I'm going to invest straight after VCE :)

The asian market (including the ASX 200 and the S&P 500) has dipped quite rapidly these past few weeks due to subprime mortgage crisis and other US fears, including a possible US recession (too early to tell though). The big miners such as BHP billiton and Rio Tinto have also slumped, however, Rio's fall is less dramatic than BHP (due to possible takeover or asset acquisition by BHP Billiton and a Chinese company).

Thats my thoughts about the Australian Equities Market. Brendan, what do you think about CFDs (Equity CFDs)? It looks pretty lucrative with pretty good leverage and short-selling available (however, risky).

[quote="Benjamin F

costargh

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 12:52:48 pm »
Mmm :( David Jones have gone up 20c since I told my mum to call up and buy them for me :(. She hasn't done it lol. They're sending some forms out or something.

AppleXY

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 04:21:28 pm »
mmm. But the Australian financial services sector is looking good. As the increased captial investment and low Subprime exposure that the banks possess, I think it'll make a strong investment for the future.

According to the stats, today the financial services has increased by 51.3 points. The S&P/ASX 200 Energy sector is extremely bullish today, it has 376.9 points, wow :D

[quote="Benjamin F

costargh

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 04:32:17 pm »
Omg.
Now it's at $5.40 when I told my mum to buy it it was $5.13!
Now I am waiting for forms to come in the mail so I can start trading =(

Thats about 200 bux more for the same amount of shares I was looking at purchasing =(
Now I'm sad. That can buy me a whole lot of alcohol =(