Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 02:53:02 pm

Author Topic: Help with finding a job  (Read 1975 times)  Share 

Michael

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Help with finding a job
« on: January 05, 2008, 01:55:03 pm »
Hi all.

For the last two months (ever since VCE finished) I've been trying to find a job but have had no luck at all. I should mention a few things.

* I have had experience working with a company doing various computer work
* I DO NOT want to work at a supermarket or fast food outlet

I would absolutely love to work in computer retail or a computer shop.

To date, I have tried applying at:
* Officeworks
* Dick Smith/Dick Smith Powerhouse
* Between 15 - 20 computer shops

In every case I do not even get a response to my application.

Can people think of anywhere else I could try?

Thanks very much.
2007 ENTER: 95.00

------
Information Systems: 41 --> 39

------
English: 39
Maths Methods: 35 ---> 41
I.T Applications: 49
Physics: 33 --> 36
Chemistry: 29 --> 33

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Re: Help with finding a job
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 02:42:38 pm »
It may be a problem with your resume. Presentation, in words and design, I would say, is very important. During the Summer break, they probably receive hundred of resumes. Many of them probably are thrown out on the first glance.

droodles

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 03:04:01 pm »
why dont u be more open minded and check out clothing stores or something, being picky and especially with computer stores that require knowledge isn't going to make things easier for u

Michael

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 03:18:42 pm »
Because I don't believe in getting a job just for the sake of getting one. Even though it's a part time job, I don't want to hate it.

Coblin - Thanks for the advice, I will keep it in mind.
2007 ENTER: 95.00

------
Information Systems: 41 --> 39

------
English: 39
Maths Methods: 35 ---> 41
I.T Applications: 49
Physics: 33 --> 36
Chemistry: 29 --> 33

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 03:19:43 pm »
When you say you have applied, do you mean you have actually gone in yourself and handed your resume in? When we went on our year 12 melb trip last year, we went to a session which covered job applications/resumes/interviews etc. Some good advice given was not to go into a shop like dick smiths with 20 resumes in your hands - these shops get so many people handing in resumes, and you are giving the impression that you are just looking for any old job. The lady talking said she usually threw these resumes in the bin. Instead, she said you'd be much better off going in with just one, and talking to the manager. Eg. if you were going into dick smiths, you'd say how you are a long-term customer, you love the shop (she advised going on their website to get some background info etc.), you're passionate about electronics/computers whatever (mention your IT SS and work experience) and yeah just say how you really want to work in THAT particular store. You are alot more likely to be successful if they think you are keen to work in their store. By contrast, if you were applying in say a supermarket or fast-food chain, it's alot different, they won't usually care if you go in with 20 resumes haha, but as you've said you don't want to work somewhere like this.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 06:37:59 pm »
I'm gonna karma you for that post goose...very good advice.

That said, working in fast food / supermarkets can be a good stepping stone to work in a computer store (or any other future job) because it will:

- help develop conflict resolution skills (f*ing shit customers)
- gain retail / customer service experience
- and, of course, get you money in the meantime

Besides, it's pretty easy to get said jobs.

With Officeworks/Dick Smith (or any Coles Group / Woolworths businesses) - you have to apply online. I'm assuming you've done this rather than walked into the store (although I wouldn't discount what goose has said - this does work).
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

RD

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 10:33:43 pm »
When you say you have applied, do you mean you have actually gone in yourself and handed your resume in? When we went on our year 12 melb trip last year, we went to a session which covered job applications/resumes/interviews etc. Some good advice given was not to go into a shop like dick smiths with 20 resumes in your hands - these shops get so many people handing in resumes, and you are giving the impression that you are just looking for any old job. The lady talking said she usually threw these resumes in the bin. Instead, she said you'd be much better off going in with just one, and talking to the manager. Eg. if you were going into dick smiths, you'd say how you are a long-term customer, you love the shop (she advised going on their website to get some background info etc.), you're passionate about electronics/computers whatever (mention your IT SS and work experience) and yeah just say how you really want to work in THAT particular store.
haha lol, the manager at the DSE I'm at always chucks resume's out even though she acts so nicely when people hand it in

btw ask your friends, family members, if they know of jobs cause in many cases you can get jobs through lots of sources, not every job is advertised publicly..

Dick Smith Powerhouse
Its harder to get into a PowerHouse than opposed to a Tandy or DSE, lots of PowerHouses get their staff from DSE's, atleast 2 or 3 people I know from work have transferred to a PowerHouse..
Also try to get into a small Tandy or DSE, because the bigger ones such as the ones in the city have massive sales targets and you'll always be under pressure. I've worked a few shifts at the Bourke Street DSE in the city and boy those guys absolutely go all out.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 10:41:20 pm by Redwan »

joshuamorgan

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 10:36:08 pm »
Get employed at a Coles Group brand (Coles, Kmart, Target, etc.), then transfer to Harris Technology when the opportunity arrives (a lot of jobs are internally-listed via the 'CEL', as opposed to be publicly-listed).