Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 10:26:57 am

Author Topic: Human Biosciences :)  (Read 7983 times)  Share 

Aqualim

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +17
Human Biosciences :)
« on: January 02, 2011, 04:21:31 pm »
Hey guys,
I'm just wondering if there are any students out there that have undertaken Human Biosciences A or B at La Trobe as a part of their course. If so, I've been told this will be my hardest subject as a part of the common year, and was wondering what aspects of the Human Body do you cover?

Thanks in Advance :)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: Human Biosciences :)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 04:46:59 pm »
I have a friend doing nursing there, she said that subject was tough, I'll give her a call. How much detail do you want?

e, I called her but i'm going out tonight so i'll write it up for you tomorrow. if i forget PM me
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:35:43 pm by Russ »

Aqualim

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:59:48 pm »
Ok cool, Thank you so much for that. Probably a bit late now, but is it possible to get a brief run-down/Study Design of the areas taught e.g. Cells, Endocrine System etc.

Thanks again :)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 10:36:45 am »
Well she said it's really full on and moves pretty fast, so stay up to date. Biosciences A is physiology and Biosciences B is anatomy. There's no study design but they're both fairly standard subjects, so the content will be along the lines of:

Biosciences A - homeostasis, metabolism, respiratory function, cardiovascular function, renal function, reproductive function, gastrointestinal function, integration of signals from all these systems (ie neural function) and how they're processed.

Biosciences B - structure of back, upper limb, lower limb, thorax, abdomen, genitals. how is the structure used to aid the function and how do different structures integrate

Those are my estimates based on my studies and the latrobe handbook btw.

As for textbooks, I'd recommend Netter's Anatomical Atlas + Grey's Anatomy for Students for Biosciences B and Human Physiology by Silverthorn for Biosciences A

Aqualim

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 11:26:21 am »
Thank you for that :) For Christmas I was lucky enough to receive the competitors edition of the prescribed textbook for these two subjects, Principles of Human Anatomy, Edition 12, Gerard J. Tortora. So hopefully I can get a slight head start by just skimming through that.

Also, in terms of assessment and whatnot. How exactly would they test the knowledge presented in the textbooks? Is it simply just memorise chunks of information and then relay that on paper i.e. Define yadiyada or Label the parts of the Endocrine System

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 12:03:29 pm »
Principles may not have much physiology in it, looks predominantly anatomy based so it may be better for sem2. With anatomy don't try to learn it before semester. It's just not worth it, your lecturer will explain the anatomy to you and without that it's extremely difficult to get a grip on all the different structures/names/terms/etc. What you should do is make sure you know perfectly all the descriptive terms - distal, proximal, supination, pronation, flexion, extension, deep, superficial, superior, rostral, caudal, inferior etc.

And assessment: anatomy will be a lot of factual memory assessment (not pure rote learning, you do have to understand relationships) and physiology will be a lot of integrated understanding. Here are some sample questions from my previous exams because it's kind of hard to explain what I mean without showing them:

Anatomy MCQ
Q4. All of the following statements regarding blood vessels are true except for:
1. The 'media' coat of an artery is composed of smooth muscle
2. Muscular arteries lie closest to the heart
3. Anastomoses typically occur at joints where arteries may be occluded by movement
4. Epithelial tissues are avascular

Anatomy SAQ
Label on the image the types of structures seen on the longitudinal section (through the shoulder joint). Indicate with an asterisk (*) those structures which may be a source of pain if injured. (4 marks)

What structures are responsible for normal stability at the shoulder joint? (2 marks)

The head of the humerus is susceptible to dislocation at the shoulder joint. Why? (2 marks)

In what direction does the shoulder tend to dislocate? Which nerve is particularly endangered and what would be the likely effects of damage to this structure? (2 marks)

Anatomy LAQ (10 marks, 10 minutes)
Briefly indicate the features of an intervertebral disc. What are the types of disc prolapse that may occur and which structures are susceptible to compression following a prolapsed disc?

Physiology SAQs
Carbon dioxide (CO2) produced during aerobic metabolism must be removed to prevent detrimental effects on physiological function.
a) Briefly summarise the ways by which CO2 is transported in blood and their relative importance (5 marks).
b) Describe how an increase in arterial PCO2 affects pulmonary ventilation and the underlying mechanisms mediating this effect (5 marks).

a) Carbohydrates are important fuels for energy metabolism, their availability influencing health and performance. Describe the processes by which ingested carbohydrates (starch, glycogen) are digested and absorbed. (8 marks)
b) A sports drink containing both glucose and fructose has been promoted to enhance carbohydrate oxidation during exercise. Summarise the physiological rationale for this claim. (2 marks)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:15:31 pm by Russ »

Visionz

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 03:06:20 pm »
wow this makes me want to get into the HS/dietetics course.
Cut-off better be low.. any guesses what it will be? Hoping its like the podiatry course ~73 but SEAS would help me out if it was above 80 I think. I think they offered me a scholarship on the basis of my SEAS application (LSSS - im not eligible for any other ones i dont think) so hopefully theyll offer me a place!

Aqualim

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 10:10:48 pm »
Principles may not have much physiology in it, looks predominantly anatomy based so it may be better for sem2. With anatomy don't try to learn it before semester. It's just not worth it, your lecturer will explain the anatomy to you and without that it's extremely difficult to get a grip on all the different structures/names/terms/etc. What you should do is make sure you know perfectly all the descriptive terms - distal, proximal, supination, pronation, flexion, extension, deep, superficial, superior, rostral, caudal, inferior etc.

And assessment: anatomy will be a lot of factual memory assessment (not pure rote learning, you do have to understand relationships) and physiology will be a lot of integrated understanding. Here are some sample questions from my previous exams because it's kind of hard to explain what I mean without showing them:

Anatomy MCQ
Q4. All of the following statements regarding blood vessels are true except for:
1. The 'media' coat of an artery is composed of smooth muscle
2. Muscular arteries lie closest to the heart
3. Anastomoses typically occur at joints where arteries may be occluded by movement
4. Epithelial tissues are avascular

Anatomy SAQ
Label on the image the types of structures seen on the longitudinal section (through the shoulder joint). Indicate with an asterisk (*) those structures which may be a source of pain if injured. (4 marks)

What structures are responsible for normal stability at the shoulder joint? (2 marks)

The head of the humerus is susceptible to dislocation at the shoulder joint. Why? (2 marks)

In what direction does the shoulder tend to dislocate? Which nerve is particularly endangered and what would be the likely effects of damage to this structure? (2 marks)

Anatomy LAQ (10 marks, 10 minutes)
Briefly indicate the features of an intervertebral disc. What are the types of disc prolapse that may occur and which structures are susceptible to compression following a prolapsed disc?

Physiology SAQs
Carbon dioxide (CO2) produced during aerobic metabolism must be removed to prevent detrimental effects on physiological function.
a) Briefly summarise the ways by which CO2 is transported in blood and their relative importance (5 marks).
b) Describe how an increase in arterial PCO2 affects pulmonary ventilation and the underlying mechanisms mediating this effect (5 marks).

a) Carbohydrates are important fuels for energy metabolism, their availability influencing health and performance. Describe the processes by which ingested carbohydrates (starch, glycogen) are digested and absorbed. (8 marks)
b) A sports drink containing both glucose and fructose has been promoted to enhance carbohydrate oxidation during exercise. Summarise the physiological rationale for this claim. (2 marks)

Thanks again, excellent post :)

Also is there anything else I should have a brief look over apart from the 'directional terms' and 'planes and intersections'?

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 10:11:47 am »
Not really. You don't even need to do the terms because they'll become second nature just through the semester, it's just if you're keen to start early. If you can find a cheap anatomical atlas second hand it's a good buy btw