Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 03:14:54 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854310 times)  Share 

OZLexico

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #2355 on: June 20, 2018, 09:53:28 pm »
I also like that statement as a frame/starting point for examining that issue - have you thought of looking at/researching the solutions that are used in other countries (ie similar economies like Canada? Denmark?). If you've got time you might like to check out a book called "White Man's Burden". Its about foreign aid but has some alarming analysis about why throwing money at things doesn't work.  I think the author's name is Easterley, not sure of the spelling(?)

fruitbowl34

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2356 on: June 22, 2018, 08:19:45 pm »
Hi!! I'm having some trouble coming up with a contention for my oral presentation. I know my main argument is that reality tv shows can severely psychologically harm it's participants, but I can't seem to come up with a good contention. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

lifeisgood

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2357 on: June 24, 2018, 09:14:44 am »
Hi!! I'm having some trouble coming up with a contention for my oral presentation. I know my main argument is that reality tv shows can severely psychologically harm it's participants, but I can't seem to come up with a good contention. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Hi You could try either:
1.reality tv has a negative implication on society
2. Reality has harmful effect on teens
3. Reality t.v. is really just a distortion of our society/skews the truth
4. reality tv does more harm than good.
5.reality shows don't provide anything valuable to our society.
6.theres nothing new just more and more stupidity.is entirely based on swearing, crying and arguments, and often violence, drunkenness and sex.(I think that sums it up)
7.Reality shows are getting worse
8.Tv producers are just getting lazy.
9.All reality shows are basically the same.
The last few I just got lazy😂😂.but it's so true. Anyway hoped that helped.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:20:07 am by lifeisgood »

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #2358 on: June 28, 2018, 05:19:09 pm »
Hi, I had a few questions concerning the oral presentation.

Is there a rule/general consensus regarding taking on a persona to make your speech? I thought taking on a different identity and setting to do your oral was perfectly acceptable and potentially beneficial, however a teacher was advising students against it. Is there any known preference of VCAA examiners?? Or at least, is there anything that suggests that they don't want you to take on a persona?

Also, is there a preferred way to incorporate your rebuttal? We've been given a general structure of intro, 2 argument paragraphs, rebuttal paragraph, 3rd argument paragraph, conclusion, but I've also been advised by teachers that you can incorporate your rebuttal into one of your argument paragraphs? Would this be ok or is it better to just go with the separated structure.
(I know that these are somewhat subjective questions but if anyone has been strongly advised against/for some of these techniques or knows if VCAA takes any particular stance it would be really helpful !!)

Thanks
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2359 on: June 29, 2018, 03:10:19 pm »
Hi, I had a few questions concerning the oral presentation.

Is there a rule/general consensus regarding taking on a persona to make your speech? I thought taking on a different identity and setting to do your oral was perfectly acceptable and potentially beneficial, however a teacher was advising students against it. Is there any known preference of VCAA examiners?? Or at least, is there anything that suggests that they don't want you to take on a persona?

Also, is there a preferred way to incorporate your rebuttal? We've been given a general structure of intro, 2 argument paragraphs, rebuttal paragraph, 3rd argument paragraph, conclusion, but I've also been advised by teachers that you can incorporate your rebuttal into one of your argument paragraphs? Would this be ok or is it better to just go with the separated structure.
(I know that these are somewhat subjective questions but if anyone has been strongly advised against/for some of these techniques or knows if VCAA takes any particular stance it would be really helpful !!)

Thanks

Hey,
I think your teacher advises against it because its more harder to do. The oral presentation is only done as a SAC and not on the exam so you should be doing in preference of your teachers not VCAA examiners. So I would recommend to follow your teachers advice and such.
My oral structure was

Hook + Intro
P1: Argument 1
P2: Argument 2
P3: rebuttal
Conclusion
Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #2360 on: June 29, 2018, 04:52:30 pm »
Hey,
I think your teacher advises against it because its more harder to do. The oral presentation is only done as a SAC and not on the exam so you should be doing in preference of your teachers not VCAA examiners. So I would recommend to follow your teachers advice and such.
My oral structure was

Hook + Intro
P1: Argument 1
P2: Argument 2
P3: rebuttal
Conclusion

Thanks; the reason I was asking about VCAA was because we have external assessors conducting our orals. (: But thank you anyway !!
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

Google123

• Adventurer
« Reply #2361 on: June 30, 2018, 06:00:28 pm »
Hi,
Could someone be able to check my oral presentation topic idea?
I'm doing it on crime prevention and I'm opposing the building of more prisons, but instead proposing that there needs to be reforms to the criminal justice system, to prevent crime.
My arguments were that
1. Paying for prisons and etc costs a lot for taxpayers
2. Building prisons in rural areas limits communication between prisoners and their families (this is not good for rehabilitation)
3. My solutions (like alternative punishment options)

Is my second argument ok?
Would really appreciate if someone could check this.
Thank you!

Google123

• Adventurer
« Reply #2362 on: June 30, 2018, 06:39:16 pm »
The second argument seems really good- It shows that you have clearly thought about all the possible implications of your topic which is what teachers usually look for in my experience. You may also like to argue that since a prison environment does not promote rehabilitation, there are more repeat offenders, which impacts the audience directly as these people are in the public and may cause problems. This like your taxpayer's argument provides a direct link to the audience and how it would affect them. Also, have some arguments for why your solution is superior to the current system (which I am sure you already do). Hope that is clear :)

Good Luck!
Thank you very much for your reply!
Yes I'll have the arguments that you've suggested as well.
Thank you! :)

moq418

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2363 on: July 01, 2018, 06:29:24 pm »
I have a essay question relating to crucible:
“The workings of power at the core of these texts are at the expense of individuals”
Discuss this statement and how it is represented in your prescribed text and the two stimulus text provided.

I have started the essay up to my introduction but im really confused and dont get the stimulus texts given can you please help me understand what the two video (stimulus text is talking about relating to people, politics and power and there motivations.
text 1 the informant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qYnOHU4_Fg
text 2 future fund : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8ZisH2IYI&ab_channel=whisper0555

i dont understand i have watch the videos many times but i dont know how they relate to the crucible when sharing representation of people, politics, power and there  motivations. Also is there a smaple essay similar to this question i can look to get a idea thanks. please help me !
Thank you so much!!

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2364 on: July 01, 2018, 08:26:57 pm »
+1
Hi,
Could someone be able to check my oral presentation topic idea?
I'm doing it on crime prevention and I'm opposing the building of more prisons, but instead proposing that there needs to be reforms to the criminal justice system, to prevent crime.
My arguments were that
1. Paying for prisons and etc costs a lot for taxpayers
2. Building prisons in rural areas limits communication between prisoners and their families (this is not good for rehabilitation)
3. My solutions (like alternative punishment options)

Is my second argument ok?
Would really appreciate if someone could check this.
Thank you!

Yep, find statistics on prisons  built in rural areas.
Use heavy, emotive language! and link back to your topic
Make sure you have a rebuttal which your first one is kinda and use persuasive language.
Good luck!!!
Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.

Google123

• Adventurer
« Reply #2365 on: July 05, 2018, 04:58:44 pm »
Hi guys,
I just wanted to know if it's ok not to have a powerpoint presentation when you're giving your oral?
I'm giving mine to Cabinet members of the Government and so I haven't prepared a powerpoint.

Do you get more marks if you have one?
But it probably won't suit my setting, will it?
Thank you!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2366 on: July 05, 2018, 05:03:22 pm »
+1
Hi guys,
I just wanted to know if it's ok not to have a powerpoint presentation when you're giving your oral?
I'm giving mine to Cabinet members of the Government and so I haven't prepared a powerpoint.

Do you get more marks if you have one?
But it probably won't suit my setting, will it?
Thank you!

depends on the school and the criteria that your teacher is assessing you on. You could just ask them if you would lose marks for it.

If you don't have a power point I would try to incorporate at least 1 sort of creative aspect in your speech.

OZLexico

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2367 on: July 14, 2018, 01:44:07 pm »
Hi moq418, I hope these comments aren't too late to be helpful.. I've looked at your two videos that relate to "The Crucible".  In the first one (from "Billions") the main character is clearly putting on an act to frighten his employees.  His anger is shown in his loud, aggressive and commanding manner where he picks on an individual/makes an example of them to test their truth-telling. The two brief shots of the surveillance officer indicates there's another layer to this.  The boss has to look as if he's doing something to uncover 'the informant.' This open plan workplace also suggests a sort of egalitarian environment where there's mutual trust. This has clearly been betrayed by an unknown 'informant'.  The boss' strategy is to intimidate and frighten the staff into losing trust in each other as well as making them hope they wont be the next victim of the boss' anger.  How does this apply to "The Crucible"? You could look at the structure of authority and how it maintains respect and obedience from others (through fear and intimidation, making an example of individuals, like in "Billions" and/or through the appearance of doing something?).  The example from "The Hollow Men" suggests that decision making is subject to the interpretation (or spin) that officials are able to use - from manipulating money to using patriotic images in advertisements and the choice of paper stock used in a "Report." This ability to spin a proposal masks the true relationship between a governing body and the people. The scope of the Endowment Fund reflects the expected responsibilities of government but its dressed up as "a new initiative". In the course of this, the self-interest of the bureaucrats is also exposed ("why can't we have a very fast train?"). In relation to "The Crucible", think again about the structures of authority where leaders can be swayed by self-interested individuals and well motivated ones are forced to adapt to the judgement of their superiors.  This then has the effect of protecting the status quo.

pha0015

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2368 on: July 17, 2018, 09:36:42 am »
is it ok to have only one overarching argument for my oral presentation and then rebut the opposition's arguments? i.e. against abortion - fetus is human being therefore murder... then why normal cases as well as hard cases aren't exempt.

Do I also need to talk about the context of my topic? i.e. lack of unanimity of abortion laws in Australia?

a212345

« Reply #2369 on: July 17, 2018, 10:19:31 am »
Hi !
Just asking for some feedback on my Oral Presentation topic.
Its on the recent ban on selling Puppies and Kittens in Pet Stores in Victoria, due to Puppy farming and the ever growing amount of 
animals in pounds etc.

I just need some help with a over all contention, like what should I title my oral presentation?
" Should pet stores have banned the sale of Puppies and Kittens", " Adopt don't shop" etc. I don't know something like that
(Im all for banning the sale of Puppies and Kittens in pet stores and illegal unregistered breading and am against puppy farming as it is so cruel)

Also can i just talk about how I agree with the ban or do I have to look at both sides?
Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thankyou