Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 03:58:34 pm

Author Topic: Ranking questions  (Read 1599 times)  Share 

NerdyPi

Ranking questions
« on: September 16, 2016, 02:17:56 pm »
So after receiving the last spesh SAC results today, I'm on 91/100, which I'm pretty certain is equal first with another student. Does anyone know how this will work in terms of exam scaling? Could there be 2 people in rank one, or would our teacher have to go back through SACS to find a reason to separate the marks? Also,if I'm in a fairly weak (based on my school, past spesh scores, how hard the class works ect.) and small (15 people) cohort, if me (and possibly the other people ranked high) do well enough on the exam, can my 91/100 for SAC still scale slightly higher?

Also, for chem, does anyone know how SAC ranking work for the different units? (I'm on 92/100 for unit 3, and I think there'd be a fair about of people in fount of me (Probably at least 5 in a cohort of about 30), but either 1st or 2nd on 97/100 for unit 4).

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Ranking questions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 05:28:29 pm »
interesting... I would like to know the answers to this too

Jemin99

• Forum Regular
  • HEHEHEHEHE
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 06:47:22 pm »
Oh i thought schools send their top student as 100/100
2017: Maths Methods [50]
2018-2020 : Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience) at Unimelb
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine at Unimelb

HughMungus

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • I only know pi to 5 decimal places :(
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 06:51:49 pm »
+1
So after receiving the last spesh SAC results today, I'm on 91/100, which I'm pretty certain is equal first with another student. Does anyone know how this will work in terms of exam scaling? Could there be 2 people in rank one, or would our teacher have to go back through SACS to find a reason to separate the marks? Also,if I'm in a fairly weak (based on my school, past spesh scores, how hard the class works ect.) and small (15 people) cohort, if me (and possibly the other people ranked high) do well enough on the exam, can my 91/100 for SAC still scale slightly higher?

Also, for chem, does anyone know how SAC ranking work for the different units? (I'm on 92/100 for unit 3, and I think there'd be a fair about of people in fount of me (Probably at least 5 in a cohort of about 30), but either 1st or 2nd on 97/100 for unit 4).

Your actual SAC scores are pointless. The ranking matters. The SAC scores are moderated by the performance of the class in the exam. From what my teacher (an examiner) told me, the top Exam mark becomes the SAC mark for the top ranked student and second best mark for the 2nd ranked student and so on. Equal 1st meash both get the same top mark. So despite a weak cohort, you have a shot at a decent SS if you are near the top :) and do well in the exam :D

Your ranking is for the 2 units put together for Chem. So you need to average the scores out. Exam is worth much more so dont stress on the unt scores. If the people above you are strong, you will not be negatively affected :)

Also do not worry too much about your SACs or Rankings. they are merely an indication of how you are going. In the end the Exam has the lion's share and impacts your SS pretty much entirely. This is coming from a person ranked 28th in a weak cohort of Further maths that ended up with a very high score :)
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.” ~Mewtwo

Monash Doctor (2021 -2022)
Monash BMedSci/MD (Class of 2020)
VCE(Baccalaureat)- 2015

NerdyPi

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 07:25:18 pm »
Oh i thought schools send their top student as 100/100

Mine doesn't, but I go to an average public school  :P

NerdyPi

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 07:26:52 pm »
Your actual SAC scores are pointless. The ranking matters. The SAC scores are moderated by the performance of the class in the exam. From what my teacher (an examiner) told me, the top Exam mark becomes the SAC mark for the top ranked student and second best mark for the 2nd ranked student and so on. Equal 1st meash both get the same top mark. So despite a weak cohort, you have a shot at a decent SS if you are near the top :) and do well in the exam :D

Your ranking is for the 2 units put together for Chem. So you need to average the scores out. Exam is worth much more so dont stress on the unt scores. If the people above you are strong, you will not be negatively affected :)

Also do not worry too much about your SACs or Rankings. they are merely an indication of how you are going. In the end the Exam has the lion's share and impacts your SS pretty much entirely. This is coming from a person ranked 28th in a weak cohort of Further maths that ended up with a very high score :)

Thanks, that helps a lot :)