Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 11:53:32 pm

Author Topic: legal studies correlation to national politics  (Read 1927 times)  Share 

psychlaw

legal studies correlation to national politics
« on: May 04, 2008, 02:05:44 am »
does anyone do both legal and national politics?
if so, do they overlap?? what are the correlations????
is it useful doing both at the same time

thanks

AppleThief

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
Re: legal studies correlation to national politics
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 10:46:49 am »
does anyone do both legal and national politics?
if so, do they overlap?? what are the correlations????
is it useful doing both at the same time

thanks
I don't do National Politics, but I can guess that Unit 3 Legal Studies, Area of Study 1 and 2 would overlap with National Politics a bit, but focus on different areas of the same topic.

applekid

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 09:05:23 pm »
i think they are quite similar but with different emphasises (/minus court crap)
i'm kicking myself for not choosing national.
a girl i know did legal last year and national this year and said they are REALLY similar.

daniel99

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 11:11:07 pm »
They have similarities e.g. knowing how Americas voting system works I think, which you can choose to do in legal studies.

I havent done both myself, but I know a few people who have, and they said that it is similar in some aspects.

e.g. responsible and representative government from legal studies also applies to political and the referrendum process.

If you did both of them, politics is more advanced than legal, and it would complement your knowledge.

I do businesss and economics and they relate to each other so it is good and economics allows me to go more in depth with business, probably more so than business students who did not do economics. Basically, i think political and legal would work in the same way as my example lol.

jcc

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 11:53:28 pm »
I did legal studies last year, and am doing national politics this year. In terms of knowledge required, there's a few areas of the course that are duplicated between the subjects. However, the application of said knowledge is quite dramatically different -- I found that legal was quite descriptive, whilst politics requires a more analytical approach.

Having done legal studies, I think in some respects is somewhat detrimental, since I often find myself answering questions like I would in legal, which isn't exactly optimal. My legal teacher last year said that some politics kids often got carried away in their legal exams writing things which, whilst very sophisticated, weren't relevant to the legal studies course and thus didn't get full marks.

The main areas where I've found similarity thus far:
  • Responsible & Representative government (weeks are spent on these principle in politics, compared to a few periods in legal)
  • Electoral system (as above)
  • The Australian Parliamentary System (legal studies basically describes how these work, whereas politics requires analysis on how well the institution works)
  • Democratic values (extremely important in politics; there's mention of it in the legal studies course as part of the human rights section)

I'd certainly advise doing politics and legal studies, not because there's any sort of synergy between them, but because they're both really interesting subjects.

AppleThief

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 12:31:37 am »
They have similarities e.g. knowing how Americas voting system works I think, which you can choose to do in legal studies.
You don't have to compare to another voting system in Legal D:
You only have to compare the approach to human rights...

daniel99

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 05:56:38 pm »
You don't have to compare to another voting system in Legal D:
You only have to compare the approach to human rights...

Yeh i meant human rights and comparing them..