Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:27:36 pm

Author Topic: Need help.  (Read 721 times)  Share 

Romaboy

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Beaconhills College
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Need help.
« on: April 23, 2012, 04:28:59 pm »
Hey guys,

In serious need of help.
I am currently in year 11 and doing well in most of my subjects. The only problem is that I am terrible at English, in 1/2, I am a D to C student & I really want a 32+ in English.
What can I do to do better?
Thanks
Bachelor of Software Engineering [Monash University]

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Need help.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:45:12 pm »
Try a tutor? I see that you're aiming for a 50 in Bio, which is great. With that kind of drive, I'm sure you can get into the high 40s for English.

My advice would be to try a former student for English tuition for the rest of Year 11.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Eddiee

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:33:41 pm »
Don't worry, I'm the same boat as you.

Just keep motivating yourself to do well in the subject, work on your vocabulary and read some books in your spare time for enjoyment.
Also write lots of practice essays/writing pieces which will help you gradually improve. I'm probably going to start doing this once I've dealt with all my homework :P

Wingtips

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 05:43:50 pm »
The greatest thing that has helped me to improve over the years would be reading other people's essays, especially the high scoring ones. By doing so you can gain knowledge of how to form good sentences, develop a coherent structure and flow well in a piece, as well as gain an appreciation for English as a whole. And as AsianFive said work on your vocab. The best thing to do is create a list of the awesome phrases and whatnot other people use and then use them in your pieces where appropriate. This is just what's worked for me. Hopefully it helps.

Romaboy

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Beaconhills College
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 06:55:48 pm »
Thanks guys! :)
Bachelor of Software Engineering [Monash University]