Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:42:13 am

Author Topic: 50 in English, available for queries :)  (Read 341477 times)  Share 

Valyria

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: 50 in English, available for queries :)
« Reply #675 on: October 28, 2014, 09:23:41 am »
Hello,

When we are responding to a "how does the author..." question and our first paragraph is on structure, do we have to explicitly mention the exposition/climax/denouement of the novel or can we just generally talk about the past and present?

2014 ATAR: [99.20]
VCE English positions have been booked out for 2015.
2015: BCom/LLB @ Monash University

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #676 on: October 28, 2014, 10:05:05 am »
+6
faredcarsking123:
Try and keep the text-specific stuff to text-specific threads, especially when there are so many clever ACC people to help out. At this point, try and answer these sorts of questions for yourself though. There's not much point in someone else providing you with set equations of 'time shifts mean ___' and 'narrative voice means ___.' If you work round to these ideas yourself, it will be much easier to implement and demonstrate than something someone else told you was "right."

Selcouth:
There's nothing stopping you, but it's kinda a waste of time. You'll have to write which text is your 'Primary Text Drawn Upon' and so you're not really getting credit for anything else beyond this. The texts are starting points, try to move beyond them.

Sanguinne:
Careful not to conflate freedom with migration; they are not necessarily the same thing.
Other than that, your T.S. sound fine.

millie96:
Again, doing this yourself will be a far more valuable task. It's one thing to want to conduct a mutually beneficial brainstorming, it's another to simply mine others for ideas. Try and hint at some avenues to get yourself started. Rather than saying your piece is "about social construct and morality," think about what you're trying to say through your piece. I could list a hundred things that have something to do with morals and making decisions, but chances are 98 of them would be irrelevant to your message, and the other two are probably ones you've already thought about.

Valyria:
You don't have to, but the metalanguage helps. Talking about the past and present should be sufficient, but if there's an opportunity to use structural vocab, then I'd go for it. But for most texts you wouldn't have to strictly delineated the orientation, complication or resolution.

Selcouth

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #677 on: October 28, 2014, 02:23:42 pm »
This question has probably already been answered... so sorry in advance!

If in Section C there is a comments section, how do we integrate that into our piece??
Do we mention them in the introduction or just devote 1 body paragraph to them or interweave them into our piece another way?

Thanks

mia-la-bella

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Hogwarts
« Reply #678 on: October 28, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »
+1
I'll give it a go. I don't think there is a set way it's up to you. In past I have grouped them together based on contention and also analysed very briefly if they were contending something. Sometimes you can interweave them into your paragraphs as a comment on how particular audiences respond to the article. I generally give a very brief 1-2 sentence generic sort of overview of them in the introduction.

Yacoubb

« Reply #679 on: October 28, 2014, 04:27:14 pm »
For any sections we are required to shade on the exam, do we use pencil or pen?

doomdestroyer

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Emmaus College
« Reply #680 on: October 28, 2014, 04:29:30 pm »
For any sections we are required to shade on the exam, do we use pencil or pen?

I would use whatever, be it pencil, pen, highlighter, whatever i grab first, unless otherwise specified.

DJA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Literature is the question minus the answer.
  • Respect: +201
« Reply #681 on: October 28, 2014, 04:49:37 pm »
Where on the booklet do we nominate our key text for section B Lauren??

stupidest question ever - stress is getting to me please humour me
2014 - English (50, Premier's Award)| Music Performance (50, Premier's Award) | Literature (46~47) | Biology (47) | Chemistry (41) |  MUEP Chemistry (+4.5)  ATAR: 99.70

Griffith University Gold Coast Queensland
2015 - 2017 Bachelor of Medical Science (BMedSc)
2017 - 2021 Doctor of Medicine (MD)

DJA's Guide to Language Analysis (Section C)
DJA's guide on the topic of English Expression (Text response)

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #682 on: October 28, 2014, 04:55:11 pm »
Where can I get a dictionary if I don't have one at home/am afraid the school library won't have one left over for me??? Do most bookshops sell them??
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

Billion

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #683 on: October 28, 2014, 04:56:15 pm »
Where on the booklet do we nominate our key text for section B Lauren??

stupidest question ever - stress is getting to me please humour me
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/english/2014/english%202014_answerbook.pdf

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #684 on: October 28, 2014, 04:59:05 pm »
This question has probably already been answered... so sorry in advance!

If in Section C there is a comments section, how do we integrate that into our piece??
Do we mention them in the introduction or just devote 1 body paragraph to them or interweave them into our piece another way?

Thanks

This ^^

Does this mean it is a comparative piece or what ? Because right now I am using 'comments' as a supporting technique and I am not quite sure if that's supposed to be right or wrong :/
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #685 on: October 28, 2014, 05:14:42 pm »
+2
Just for urgency, (I'll answer the rest of these next)
Vermilliona:
Officeworks (though most close at 5 I think) bookstores, and newsagents. The latter is probably your best bet. You might be able to borrow one from the reference section of a local library (some have rules about borrowing reference books, but I'm sure if you explained why they'd make allowances.)

If all else fails, family friends/neighbours? I wouldn't trust the school to have one; last year we had about 20 students rock up early thinking this, and by 6:30 all our dictionaries were gone.

I'd go for a newsagents place though, hopefully there's one near your local shops or something :)

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #686 on: October 28, 2014, 05:22:12 pm »
Thanks for the preference Lauren - I found a 'little macquarie dictionary' with 44,000 definitions at the back of my bookshelf, do you think that should suffice? Thanks again, you're a gem
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #687 on: October 28, 2014, 05:43:18 pm »
+5
Selcouth:
Structure by key players (explanation on the first page of this thread) and then integrate at least one comment towards the end of every paragraph. This is not an officially mandated structure, but that is my best recommendation.
Your introduction will deal with the core text as normal, then have an extra sentence like 'The article was also accompanied by several comments spanning a variety of views from members of the public.'
Again, there are different ways of doing this, but ^this is nice and safe.

Yacoubb:
Use pen, but don't panic if you forget. I'm sure your assessors will be able to work out which text/topic you're doing fairly quickly.
You'll have to do this for nominating your chosen Section A text and prompt, as well as which Context you're studying.

I would highly recommend everybody look over a scan of the answer booklet before tomorrow (http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/english/2014/english%202014_answerbook.pdf) -thank you Billion! :)

DJA:
There'll be a box at the top of the first Section B writing page in your answer booklet that says 'Primary text drawn upon:______' or something like that. The Contexts, the texts, and their authors/directors are all on the previous page if you have a total mental blank :)

anna.xo
Treat the comments as separate texts with their own author, contention, and attempts to persuade the audience. I have never seen a task that had comments that were deliberately included by the author as a means of furthering their own contention.

Vermilliona:
Macquaries are the best, you'll be fine. VCAA don't usually try and stump you anyway, and 44,000 words should cover everything :)

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #688 on: October 28, 2014, 05:48:38 pm »
anna.xo
Treat the comments as separate texts with their own author, contention, and attempts to persuade the audience. I have never seen a task that had comments that were deliberately included by the author as a means of furthering their own contention.

Thanks Lauren !!
Like for your first exam how it had comments from the teachers/students..how would I incorporate that in ? Do I have to talk about all of the comments in a seperate paragraph or what ? Because right now I'm trying to like you say, use it to show how it supports the author's contention by showing support or whatever.
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

George_D

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: East Doncaster Secondary College
« Reply #689 on: October 28, 2014, 06:02:20 pm »
Hey guys,
Just wondering,
As no Statement of Intention (SOI) is required/allowed in the exam, how are you meant to show who your audience is? If I'm planning on doing an expository piece, do I even have to make it clear who my audience?