Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:07:27 pm

Author Topic: Course(s) combining science and technology?  (Read 625 times)  Share 

wombat123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Mercy College
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Course(s) combining science and technology?
« on: December 01, 2017, 08:39:49 pm »
Hey guys,

So I've recently made the decision to withdraw from Bachelor of Science at Melbourne Uni because I've realised the environment is not for me - too much pressure and too much competition. I'm torn between transferring to Bachelor of Biomed at Latrobe (because I'm still keen to get into medicine eventually because it's what I've wanted from the start) and doing something else. I have an interest in technology - the way it works, the way it changes the world, understanding it, etc. So I'm wondering if there's some course out there (Melbourne) that possibly combines my love for medicine and my love for technology? The problem is though, I'm not keen on doing anything engineering-related and I feel like that's what most technology-related courses are all about.
Anyway enough of my rambling - if anyone has any ideas of what I can do with my life, please let me know! I'm open to anything and everything!

Thanks in advance!

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: Course(s) combining science and technology?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:41:30 pm »
+2
You need to be more specific about what you want, perhaps provide an example of the kind of things you would like to do.

I would say biomedical engineering would be a good one but you have ruled out engineering.

The main thing left in my mind is degrees that equip you for a technician type role. You can also aim for a technician job later on (sleep technician, cardiac technician, etc). Some courses teach you about biomedical instrumentation and measurements (i know BBiomed at Swinburne does, other uni's may as well). You can probably find a course that contains a lot of that type stuff.  This would chiefly include taking biomedical measurements of patients using technological tools (blood pressure, ECG, sleep lab stuff, etc).

If you mean more computers, things like Health Information Science and stuff like that would be a good bet, alongside things like data science where it's applied to medicine.

Psychology and physiology at the later year stages may allow you to undertake projects where you can use MRI data (and during honours, potentially MRI data gathered exclusively for you/with your help).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:46:17 pm by slothpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research