Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:28:43 pm

Author Topic: Bioinformatics Vs Flexible engineering Vs Medical Science  (Read 475 times)  Share 

jasn9776

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Bioinformatics Vs Flexible engineering Vs Medical Science
« on: December 15, 2018, 10:41:21 pm »
Hi guys,
so right now i'm really confused on what i actually want to do. I guess my interests lie in computer science and biology and therefore I think bioinformatics would be a good fit for me. I also think that maybe i want to do medical science since it has a more biological focus and yeah. I also am thinking of doing biotechnology since it is an intersection of biology and technology synthesised to create innovative solutions. From the UNSW open day, i guess my opinion about bioinformatics engineering was confirmed, i guess it does address a lot about my interests and stuff and like yeah it seems alright just the heavy focus on molecular genetic biology in that course may lock me in. So im just concerned whether i should do a more generalist degree like flexible engineering or medical science rather than lock myself in by choosing bioinformatics. I guess i could transfer(IPT) from bioinformatics to computer science or even another engineering but obviously idk. Like my parents want me to do medical science but obviously i think they are misguided as though i have some interest in the area, i reckon i want more of a focus on computer science as well. Also, a straight med sci isn't actually that employable unless you combine it with a masters right? (i'm quite sure about that). 

Anyways for the UAC prefrences i am really confused what to do. Most of the advice i've heard is that you should preference what you actually want to do but like ahhh im not too sure because of conflicting advice to choose a 'high demand course' for main round. For example, i preference bioinformatics this sunday then maybe in the next round the atar cutoff for medical science might go up and i mght miss out in case i change my mind? Guaranteed entry is only for December round 2(due this sunday).

Anyways yeah that was my rant, i'm sortof confused as to what to do. Like i'm probably 80% sure i want to do bioinformatics engineering after extensive research but i reckon if i change my mind i might miss out on medical science or something.
HSC 2018: English Adv(88) | Bio (90) | Phys(85) | Software Design (87) | 3U Math (41)