Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:13:45 pm

Author Topic: Why is there a Federal Minister for Education?  (Read 1392 times)  Share 

doha.khan

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Why is there a Federal Minister for Education?
« on: March 15, 2018, 07:54:16 pm »
As education is a residual power, why is there a federal minister for education? Education can't even be legislated on by the Commonwealth, so why do they even have a minister for it? States don't have ministers for immigration or foriegn affairs, because its not a state power, so whats going on?
Thank you in advance :))

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Why is there a Federal Minister for Education?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 07:59:06 pm »
As education is a residual power, why is there a federal minister for education? Education can't even be legislated on by the Commonwealth, so why do they even have a minister for it? States don't have ministers for immigration or foriegn affairs, because its not a state power, so whats going on?
Thank you in advance :))

What do you think? Would be interested to hear your ideas first :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

doha.khan

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 08:15:18 pm »
+1
I feel like their role is related to money, and setting conditions for the States to meet, in order to access that money. Like on wikipedia, it says that the federal education dept. is largely responsible for education policies. So i'm assuming that the States are forced to comply with federal policies, and make laws accordingly, to be given Commonwealth funding. But to me, it seems so strange that there is an actual Federal Minister for Education when the Commonwealth can't make laws about education - that's outside their constitutional powers. As a part of the executive, what exactly is the minister going to enforce, if not laws?
I feel like he's just there to coerce the State Education Ministers into doing what the Commonwealth wants them to, in relation to Education, under threat that they won't get funding.
:\ I'm not sure

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 02:31:29 am »
I feel like their role is related to money, and setting conditions for the States to meet, in order to access that money. Like on wikipedia, it says that the federal education dept. is largely responsible for education policies. So i'm assuming that the States are forced to comply with federal policies, and make laws accordingly, to be given Commonwealth funding. But to me, it seems so strange that there is an actual Federal Minister for Education when the Commonwealth can't make laws about education - that's outside their constitutional powers. As a part of the executive, what exactly is the minister going to enforce, if not laws?
I feel like he's just there to coerce the State Education Ministers into doing what the Commonwealth wants them to, in relation to Education, under threat that they won't get funding.
:\ I'm not sure

This seems sensible to me!! I honestly don't know either, but what you've said makes sense!! It's important to remember that ministers don't necessarily enforce/pass laws, that is still House of Reps/Senate as usual. Ministers purely play sort of an 'overseer' role I guess, they handle a particular part of governance for the party, but that doesn't mean they can sign off on any law they like in that area. My point being, just because the education is a residual power, doesn't mean that you can't have a Minister for it at the Federal Level. Ministers aren't exclusively lawmakers, is what I'm trying to say ;D

Truth is, at HSC level, you won't get assessed on semantics like this. Know the difference between a residual and an exclusive or concurrent power, and have a good idea of what falls in each category. That's all you'll need! :)

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 12:00:54 pm »
I think they envision a core curriculum for the country, I heard something along those lines during the  Julis   government but I was rather young at the time so maybe I'm mistaken.

I would also assume they can petition the taxation pool towards education funding.

I'm not really certain though this is just my guess.
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.