Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 17, 2024, 10:00:08 pm

Author Topic: English Exam Help?  (Read 956 times)

tjones003

• Adventurer
English Exam Help?
« on: October 29, 2021, 09:51:12 pm »
Just hoping someone can help my overthinking self out and help me to see if I can get above a 25 study score for English?

I haven't been able to stop thinking about my essays I wrote Wednesday and just feel like they aren't up to standard and quite frankly that VCAA will screw me over.

My average for the entire year has been B+ (77% total average for all SACs across the board):
Creative: B 70%
Analytical: B+ 76%
Oral: A+ 95%
Analysing Argument: B+ 75%
Comparative: B 70%

My school also did a practice/mock exam which was marked by an external source (read past English teacher at my school) and I managed to get 21/30 the highest score that my class managed to get:

Analytical: 7/10
Comparative: 6/10
Analysing Argument: 8/10

Based with these scores though I'm predicting at least 30? Feel free to let me know if I'm wrong or what is most accurate if I managed to bomb the exam. My major issues my teachers say are my expression as my writing can get convoluted and in all honesty, I think I really didn't do great on Section A. If anything, I believe Section B might have been my best from the exam.

I managed to get 3 pages for both Section A and C and 8 pages for Section B but I was running out of time for Section A as the clocks were wrong and the supervisors didn't notice so when I thought I had 10 minutes left I actually had 5....

Any help and reassurance would be awesome right now.

Thank you! :)

sah0319

• Fresh Poster
Re: English Exam Help?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 10:26:44 pm »
I'm an overthinker too!!!
I completely understand how you feel about the essays because I was so worried after the English exam too and I'm sure countless people across the state are also stressed. (Thats what I keep telling myself to make myself feel better).
Your SAC marks seem really good you should be so proud! but I have no clue how to predict study scores, I try study score calculators but they scare me so much and honestly it causes me to overthink even more so DO NOT GO TO STUDY SCORE CALCULATORS.

The fact that you wrote 8 pages for section B is insane, don't even stress about that. I'm going to be honest I didn't finish section A completely and I don't like my section B essay at all.
What I'd recommend and what I've been trying to do myself as a fellow overthinker is accepting that the exam is over and I can't go back to change it. It's in the past. What I've noticed is that sometimes we may feel like we did awful but when we get our grades back we realise it wasn't as bad as we thought. Have a little faith in yourself you seem to have been doing really well this year.

If you don't get above 25 study score then blame it on the broken clock 🤣. Seriously, a broken clock is the worst and it did play a role in your ability to complete the exam to the best of your standards.

Remember you aren't the only one worried, everyone else in the state is freaking out and stressing that they didn't do good enough. so relax and treat yourself to junk food and netflix it'll make you feel better and forget the exam stress for a bit.

I hope this helps!!! and good luck for the rest of your exams! 😁😁

tjones003

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 01:25:31 am »
Thank you so much @sah0319!

Honestly needed that I’m pretty sure I’m just overthinking because I’ve had the time to sit down and allow my thoughts to run wild as they do…

We can only find out 16th December at 7am am I right?

Just hoping I can get at least a 30-35 to get the ATAR I want.

Planning to try and smash my Psychology exam Monday to boost me some confidence and History: Revolutions (my teacher said with the course I’m going I’m definitely already set at around a 40 so fingers crossed I can keep that!

Hope the rest of your exams go well and please like inform me how you go for English and any other ones?

We’re all in the same panicky boat but hey, we’re almost there ;)

sah0319

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 09:17:40 pm »
Yeah I went through the same overthinking mood as you and had my thoughts run wild and I started worrying about my atar so I completely understand.
Yep we only find out 16 December but I'm kinda scared because I probably wont get the atar I want. I think what I'm most scared of not getting the atar I aimed and regretting how I didn't do as much as I could have... but I think most of us might feel that way.

Good luck with your psychology and history exam!!! You'll do great!!!

You're right it'll be over soon but I hope we all just do our best and try to get what we aimed for. It's been a wild 2 years, not how any of us expected year 12 😃

plutostar-lord

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 06:26:19 am »
I often catch myself in overthinking mood  :) the best remedy for this is meditation for me, just relax me :)

Mackenzie Aps

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 09:29:00 am »
I had my English Exam and need to know if I will lose marks for not referring to the points beside the article in the language analysis English exam. I felt pretty confident in my other 2 essays but forgot to refer to the points on the side of the article in the language analysis. I've been at A and A+ A with all my SAC's this year and went in confident until I realised I forgot to add/refer to these points. I feel now I have lost a potential A/A+ grade in my exams and lost a grade.  What are your thoughts on how much this counts for and what marks I would likely get / lose.