Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 11:31:03 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854251 times)  Share 

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #2190 on: January 29, 2018, 11:26:20 pm »
+2
Write a piece about a place and time where both beauty and hardship exist
Beauty in itself is very broad; it encompasses more than just complexions and the idea of "beautiful people". It's a characteristic associated to an object that encapsulates the feeling of pleasure and satisfaction. The perception of "ideal beauty" then can be translated into hardship really compactly in the sense where someone tries to capture "ideal beauty", yet their hardship comes when he realises and discovers that they always fall short of this characteristic. You can then place heavy emphasis to a time of the modern era, whereby society collectively views this "ideal beauty" as acceptable. You can choose to have your main character dislike their "societal" title; a lot of hardships can happen because of this. Just something to work with. :)

Routines and rituals help maintain connections and security. Reflect on your own daily practices and ceremonies
I sense a strong spiritual connection here; routines and rituals are very much of the "spiritual realm" so definitely have that vibe throughout your piece. Connections and security, again, give off a sense of inclusion and the will to act freely without the underlying fear of judgement, so in a way, the prompt entails that keeping up with your spiritual well being (routines and rituals) allows you to connect and understand deeper ideas about spirituality in a way where without spiritualism, there is materialism and judgement.

To reflect means to think deeper about something, so consider your own experiences with spiritualism. In what way does it give off a sense of inclusivity? And if so, how does it make you feel safe from judgement? A few ideas to get you started.

Though do take my ideas with a grain of salt; I'm from the HSC boards, but thought I'd drop by and chip in when I can! :)

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2191 on: February 06, 2018, 09:21:15 pm »
im currently struggling starting a text response which kind of leads to the question, what is the best way to start an introduction cos legit im completely blank  ;D

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2192 on: February 06, 2018, 09:22:25 pm »
+1
im currently struggling starting a text response which kind of leads to the question, what is the best way to start an introduction cos legit im completely blank  ;D
You need to know what you will talk about in your body paragraphs before you start your introduction so make sure you plan your essay :)

EDIT: if you still aren't quite sure many others and myself would be happy to help
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:30:47 pm by Sine »

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #2193 on: February 06, 2018, 09:36:20 pm »
+3

Hello!

The way you choose to start a text response is purely personal preference. Some like to start with a quote, some like to start with their contention, and others like to contextualise. After trialling a few of these, I felt that the best approach was the contextualisation one. Here is an example in response to the play, 'Medea'~

Euripides’ tragedy 'Medea' seeks to examine the psyche of a woman betrayed by her husband’s infidelity.

By opening your essay with the verbs like, examines + explores, you are immediately pinpointing a crucial tension in the text. You can then flesh out this tension/conflict in the rest of your introduction (eg. arguments that support your own interpretation of the issue at hand).

But like Sine said, you must have a firm idea about your arguments/contention before you start writing.

All the best  :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

skrt skrt

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2194 on: February 07, 2018, 06:36:35 pm »
+2
Heyo, at my school we're studying Old/New poems and for my creative response sac I'm thinking about writing my personnel experience on migrating from my original country to Australia. The person who is receiving the letters is someone close to me so i can describe my emotions and thoughts with them on the migration experience.

Is this a good start for my sac??

Thanks
2017-further math~[42]

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #2195 on: February 07, 2018, 08:40:06 pm »
+2
Heyo, at my school we're studying Old/New poems and for my creative response sac I'm thinking about writing my personnel experience on migrating from my original country to Australia. The person who is receiving the letters is someone close to me so i can describe my emotions and thoughts with them on the migration experience.

Is this a good start for my sac??

Thanks

Tbh, you should check with your teacher - their word over anyone else's here, especially since creative writing is only a SAC and not an exam component. But, in general, one of the criteria for this unit is how well you capture stylistic features of the author (in this case poet); it'll be difficult for you to do this in letter form (although not impossible). Also, how will the letters explore the poems' ideas? Cause remember, your job is to creatively respond to a text, not just to write creatively whilst paying lip service to the set text's ideas and concerns.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:36:17 am by lovelyperson »

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #2196 on: February 07, 2018, 08:58:13 pm »
+1
Check with your teacher - their word over anyone else's advice that is provided here. But, in general, one of the criteria for this unit is how well you capture stylistic features of the author (in this case poet); it'll be difficult for you to do this in letter form (although not impossible). Also, how will the letters explore your poems' ideas? Cause remember, your job is to creatively respond to a next, not just to write creatively and pay lip service to the set text's ideas and concerns.
Could I just ask whether writing a series of letters for the creative SAC is a good idea or not?
Stemming from what you said lovelyperson, does a letter limit the ability to write with insight or you know like the typical style of any narrative?

So would you be marked down for the simplistic language that you would use in a letter? (obviously you can't really get complex with your vocab too much in a letter, as you would in a narrative or like in a novel-style genre, but is that bad if you use simple language?)

Would it matter at all if you still incorporate the original text's values and central ideas?
Afterall, that's what counts doesn't it?

But is it in general that in a letter you get trapped into more of "tell" rather than "show"?

Sorry! so many questions !!

But would be really great if anyone helps out !! :)

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2197 on: February 07, 2018, 09:10:36 pm »
+3
Could I just ask whether writing a series of letters for the creative SAC is a good idea or not?
Stemming from what you said lovelyperson, does a letter limit the ability to write with insight or you know like the typical style of any narrative?

So would you be marked down for the simplistic language that you would use in a letter? (obviously you can't really get complex with your vocab too much in a letter, as you would in a narrative or like in a novel-style genre, but is that bad if you use simple language?)

Would it matter at all if you still incorporate the original text's values and central ideas?

But is it in general that in a letter you get trapped into more of "tell" rather than "show"?

Not necessarily, but there are certain stylistic features that are unique to certain forms, which you might be expected to incorporate into your own work by, accordingly, writing in such forms. Key word here is might though; the creative sac doesn't appear on the exam so schools will more than likely be doing it different from another. So check with your teacher first - the advice I provide is only coming from the experience I had at my school.

And no - responding to your set text's views and values is only one part of the criteria. Imitating the stylistic features is another one. Also, you're not bound by the normal conventions of a form, so you don't necessarily have to write using simple language in a letter. This is where some of the creative licence lies; you can write a letter in however way you like as long as you're able to clearly justify it in your statement of intention.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:16:37 pm by lovelyperson »

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #2198 on: February 07, 2018, 09:12:31 pm »
+5

Hey,
A creative wouldn't get marked down based on the form or narrative style you're writing in. I would believe that markers are looking for a diversified range of textual style, so if you're able to write in letter style, I think it would stand out to the thousands of students you're competing against. :) Even though it doesn't matter what style of writing you choose, your marks are depended on your manipulation of form and narrative structure. That is, are you able to compose an insightful and meaningful story within the allocated time in letter form?

Personally, I think a letter is a good choice in terms of new insights and building a personal relationship with the audience - but again, that depends on your word choice. To be effective doesn't mean it has to be filled with verbosity. Instead, your focus should be based around clarity. Your ideas need to be the foundation to your story; the rest will follow when you have a strong foundation to begin with. Having a wide vocabulary does help, but it's not necessary to be scoring high.

In terms of 'tell' and not 'show', yes - writing in a letter style is more prone to tell and not show - but again, it's up to how you interpret it. I think a letter will open up a more emotional attachment because you're essentially writing with emotion. To show means to use these emotions and to really captivate the reader into experiencing the journeys you as the composer makes. There are many elements within a letter that you could definitely employ within your writing.

Hopefully, this sheds some light and to encourage you with your letter styled creative. Definitely a good idea, but make sure you are able to do so. :)

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2199 on: February 07, 2018, 09:46:54 pm »
Thanks so much lovelyperson and Opengangs! :)
I really appreciate it! :)

Would be great to hear some more views and even better if any of last year's students who wrote a letter for their Creative SAC shared their thoughts about their SAC!!  ;D

Thanks guys!! :)

2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

Gogo14

• Forum Obsessive
  • when life gives you lemons... takeum and shareum
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2200 on: February 08, 2018, 09:56:17 pm »
+4
Thanks so much lovelyperson and Opengangs! :)
I really appreciate it! :)

Would be great to hear some more views and even better if any of last year's students who wrote a letter for their Creative SAC shared their thoughts about their SAC!!  ;D

Thanks guys!! :)

Hey,
So last year our text was "This Boy's Life" and a lot of my friends did letters for their creative sac... but it was also an oral as well. So a lot of students did a presentation where they were reading out the letter on stage, or even talking about their thoughts whilst writing the letter. Many people who did the sac in a letter format did really well (acing the sac), so don't be afraid to experiment with different forms! Don't be afraid to get creative!

You won't get marked down if you did a letter, as teachers are really just assessing 1. the content of your piece (how it explores themes etc) 2. writing (how well your piece is written/presented) 3. relevance/understanding (how you demonstrate knowledge of the book). Those are main criteria I can think of right now, but best be sure to check with your teacher. Also, I think doing it in the form of letters gives you lots of opportunity to open up new and creative perspectives in the book so you can really flesh out themes/characters/ideas. In my opinion the major downside is that if you are planning to write a bunch of consecutive letters between characters (repetitively going back and forth),  you have to be careful not to make it repetitive; if you are planning something like a dialogue, then I suggest writing it as a play script.
2016: Bio[45]
2017: Eng[43];Chem[47];Methods[49];Spesh[46];Physics[44]
2018+: B-Biomed @unimelb

PM if want help/advice | VCE tutoring available too- just PM

Guideme

• Forum Regular
  • Help me get the ATAR i want! :)
« Reply #2201 on: February 11, 2018, 10:07:51 am »
What is the difference between invoke and evoke

Thx in Advance!
I know it is a completely random question but I am actually confused and curious haha :)
:0 :)

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2202 on: February 11, 2018, 10:32:56 am »
+4
What is the difference between invoke and evoke

Thx in Advance!
I know it is a completely random question but I am actually confused and curious haha :)
Bit hard to pinpoint the difference, isn't it?
To me,
invoke = calling on, appealing to someone to take action, or to support your argument. If you invoke something, it'll be more effective to reduce the social distance (sorry for using the Eng Lang metalanguage, but still useful here :) )between you and the reader.
for e.g. If you invoke a law, you state that you are taking a particular action because that law allows or tells you to.

evoke = to make someone bring or recall a memory, feeling or image to their conscious mind. Can you see how evoking something is more of the 'on the surface approach'? Because you can't be certain that your readers will actually evoke those emotions or whatever in their minds...
for e.g. The silent garden evoked sounds of birds.

Do you see how invoke is more like 'dynamic'? as it prompts more to do with actions? whereas evoke is just the feelings behind those actions, if you like.

Sorry if I've confused you!! But hopefully you understand!  :D

sophiayim

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2203 on: February 12, 2018, 05:36:46 pm »
+1
Anyone studying the The Lieutenant by Kate Grenville?? Can anyone help me in terms of Silk's perception of reality compared to Rookes'
Thank you in advance
I know it is alot but if anyone can help me further I would really like help in regards to chapter and character summaries....

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2204 on: February 12, 2018, 07:03:41 pm »
+1
Anyone studying the The Lieutenant by Kate Grenville?? Can anyone help me in terms of Silk's perception of reality compared to Rookes'
Thank you in advance
I know it is alot but if anyone can help me further I would really like help in regards to chapter and character summaries....

Haven't touched the Lieutenant in ageessssssss but ...

The most important thing to consider is the character's different values. Both Rooke and Silke place differing levels of importance on different things, and this affects how they view the world around them, and most importantly, their actions as white settlers trying to colonise the 'newly discovered' land. For instance, Silk is concerned mainly about his own self-interests (evident in how he writes the book to make the $$), whilst Rooke couldn't care less about himself and is willing to go as far as mutiny to do the right thing. Moreover, Rooke is an outsider (this is verrryyy !!!!!!important!!!!! Grenville did not spend an entire chunk of the novel talking about how Rooke was a loner for most of his life for no reason) whilst Silk is some preppy rich white boy.

There's so many differences in their values that consequently affect their perception of reality - you could even talk about their military rank really and how perceived power influence situations involving people that are supposedly 'inferior'. Hopefully the two I gave you is helpful and a starting point for you!

With regards to chapter and character summaries, what exactly are you having trouble with? 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:07:58 pm by lovelyperson »