Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:21:35 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854146 times)  Share 

paper-back

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "I must govern the clock, not be governed by it"
  • Respect: +7
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #615 on: October 03, 2015, 07:49:52 pm »
How do I smoothly incorporate evidence into my text response and tie several pieces of evidence together? When writing my essays I often just begin with (after writing my topic sentence) a sentence like: "John states that [insert quote] during the [insert scene]...this conveys that" and then go onto analysis, and then follow this up with another "Furthermore, John then states that...", so it seems to lack flow

YellowTongue

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "With God all things are possible" Mt 19:26
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #616 on: October 05, 2015, 07:40:54 am »
+1
 How can I avoid makin Language Analysis essays too long? Whenever I write one I analyse everything chronologically, but this takes a long time, so I end up analyzing the beginning very closely; whilst the end lacks a thorough analyse. How can I improve?

Thank you ;)
"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain" Psalm 127:1a

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #617 on: October 05, 2015, 02:29:59 pm »
+1
How can I avoid makin Language Analysis essays too long? Whenever I write one I analyse everything chronologically, but this takes a long time, so I end up analyzing the beginning very closely; whilst the end lacks a thorough analyse. How can I improve?

Thank you ;)

1. Don't feel like you need to analyse every technique.

2. How are you structuring your paragraphs? Structuring based on argument or key players would be best I think. From there you would only be analysing the language and techniques that contribute to the argument. This should help you to cut down on anything unnecessary.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:33:17 pm by Coffee »

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #618 on: October 05, 2015, 04:54:18 pm »
+1
In general, a chronological approach is an inferior one because it is going to take too long, and shows that you can't easily prioritise what is most important.

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #619 on: October 05, 2015, 06:17:07 pm »
+1
It sounds really hard, but in reality it's not that hard (for most articles).  With a bit of practise, you'll be able to easily list things the author tries to present in a certain way: e.g. the author, the audience, the opposition, the government, dolphins, soft drinks, taxes, trees, whatever.  They use certain language to try and present these in certain ways, and you then analyse why they present them like this, and how it influences the reader's perception of the overall contention.

thank you for the comprehensive explanation!

just another question for anyone

how do you actually structure an LA based on key players? It all seems good and well in theory (I've tried it out and my first attempts were a little pedestrian) As ridiculous as it sounds, I find that I get stuck on topic sentences because I'm so used to chronologically analysing random stuff. Obviously, the TS is going to set the tone for the whole paragraph but I struggle a lot with this, especially with comparatives. Is there any set 'formula' kind of thing that I can use here? Or can I just basically do whatever feels appropriate?

paper-back

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "I must govern the clock, not be governed by it"
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #620 on: October 08, 2015, 10:28:04 am »
For a prompt like this one:
 "Everybody in the play must accept some responsibility for the tragedies which occur. Discuss."

How would you incorporate "everybody"?
I was going to do 1 paragraph on one character, 1 paragraph on another character and so forth... But then I wouldn't be including "everybody"

EDIT: Never-mind, I got it
BTW That essay prompt is for Medea for anyone who's doing the book
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:35:33 am by paper-back »

Cynbaz2

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #621 on: October 08, 2015, 10:41:26 pm »
 I'm going to write a speech for section B and i'm unsure if its a good idea for my score to make my purpose etc as explicit as this-Transcript of speech delievered by...
At the ....
On the...
The given title of the speech is …
 other than that, what else is a good way to elevate a speech and address different aspects of a prompt i.e. is it too simple to agree with a prompt and try to persuade the audience to that perspective or do I definitely need to go further. thanks

KYtho

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #622 on: October 09, 2015, 07:26:00 pm »
hey everyone, how is everyone structuring their language analysis? i.e. by groups/people/things, or just doing it chronologically to save some time?
2014: History Revolutions 42 | Chinese SL 41
2015: Chemistry 39 | Methods 41 | English 46 | Japanese SL 41
ATAR 99.50

Cristiano

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #623 on: October 09, 2015, 07:58:09 pm »
How do you incorporate an author's 'Bias' into the introduction? Like for the 2010 Biodiversity exam how is Lee biased, as he is a professor - he may contend etc.
How do you word this and smoothly weave it into the intro?

Any suggestions would be great as i am a bit lost :) Thanks

banaidil

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: lyndhurst secondary college
« Reply #624 on: October 09, 2015, 08:56:33 pm »
I wanted to know that if I start a text response with a really long sentence is that a bad thing?
Here is an example:  " Sketching a tale of the harsh and gruelling conditions endured by the indigenous Australians during Australia’s Great Depression, Jack Davis’ play ‘No Sugar’ depicts how some minority groups act out in communal defiance against the oppressive environment they lived in." And if there is any way I could word this in a more sophisticated manner, I would like to know.

Thank you :)

duo0024

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #625 on: October 09, 2015, 09:10:52 pm »
So I'm planning to write an expository piece for section B of the exam, and my teacher has told me that my pieces do not show the FLAP (form language audience purpose). My expository writing adheres to the general expository writing format, with the formal writing, 3 paragraphed structure with different sources of evidence for each one. She recommends that I put 'Newspaper editorial' or some other thing like that at the beginning of the piece so that I can address the 'audience' part of the FLAP, however in seeing that many of the upper-range expository pieces just launch straight into it, I believe this could compromise some of my exam marks :\
Anyone got any ideas?

shivaji

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #626 on: October 09, 2015, 09:27:33 pm »
Hey guys I'm kinda stuck- not sure which text response to do for the final exam.

I can do Henry IV, which I'm quite interested in though,but haven't really out much work in it, so will 2odd weeks be alright to study it?

Or the other book we did for unit 3, although I've done a lot of work on it, and don't want to waste it, it just doesn't seem that fun anymore (maybe because it was a long time ago)

Any advice please help?

duo0024

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #627 on: October 09, 2015, 09:37:31 pm »
Hey guys I'm kinda stuck- not sure which text response to do for the final exam.

I can do Henry IV, which I'm quite interested in though,but haven't really out much work in it, so will 2odd weeks be alright to study it?

Or the other book we did for unit 3, although I've done a lot of work on it, and don't want to waste it, it just doesn't seem that fun anymore (maybe because it was a long time ago)

Any advice please help?

I chose my text ( All About Eve ) purely because it was the one I did most recent and therefore was most fresh in my mind. If I chose my text in unit 3, I would have to dedicate time to reread that book and refresh it which would use up a lot of time. Although I did well on my text for unit 3, i believed the time required to get back to the standard that i wrote before wasn't worth it. my opinion tho.

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #628 on: October 09, 2015, 09:48:53 pm »
+1

Any advice please help?
Try to make your decision ASAP so you can put your full energy into learning one text instead of poorly learning two. For Section A there's always two prompts so it's not like you'll get 2 prompts you have no clue for compared to something like context where you only get one. My point here is that while I could see the value in learning two context books, learning two TR ones is basically useless.

I'd ask your teacher which text she/he thinks you're better at based on your tests and class discussions and then weigh that up with which text you enjoy the most. You're more likely to do well with texts that you really like to study than ones that simply get done by strong students.

You very likely have enough time to relearn a book from Unit 3, but I'd put a lot of effort into it if you want to have a strong control over author's craft. Best wishes.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #629 on: October 09, 2015, 11:41:57 pm »
Try to make your decision ASAP so you can put your full energy into learning one text instead of poorly learning two. For Section A there's always two prompts so it's not like you'll get 2 prompts you have no clue for compared to something like context where you only get one. My point here is that while I could see the value in learning two context books, learning two TR ones is basically useless.

I'd ask your teacher which text she/he thinks you're better at based on your tests and class discussions and then weigh that up with which text you enjoy the most. You're more likely to do well with texts that you really like to study than ones that simply get done by strong students.

You very likely have enough time to relearn a book from Unit 3, but I'd put a lot of effort into it if you want to have a strong control over author's craft. Best wishes.

Just to add to this, I haven't chosen by book either :s
I was pretty set on Medea but then I realised there are SO MANY people doing it.

Do you guys reckon it's better to do an unpopular book? (for me it's The White Tiger)