Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 10:25:57 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854234 times)  Share 

cameotodd

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #660 on: October 15, 2015, 11:15:11 pm »
In a context piece, for the film that we are studying, are we able to use the actors, director etc and make up like a talk show interview session or a Q and A session for a magazine. The information however would be all made up and may not accurately reflect their own real personal views. For example for the film skin, I could interview the director - Anthony Fabian - and ask him a question such as his decision for directing the film, and the response from him would be completely made up by me and not actually real and or as to why he chose to direct the film. Would this be allowed?

Thanks, I hope you all sorta understand what I'm trying to say  haha
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:19:11 pm by cameotodd »
2015: Psychology, Mathematical Methods CAS, Legal Studies, Accounting, English
2016: Commerce (Accounting/Finance) UoM

sunshine98

« Reply #661 on: October 16, 2015, 09:24:58 am »
+2
Hey guys

I just finished a practise language analysis and I was wondering whether anyone would be able to mark it and perhaps give it a score out of ten?

Also, for some context, the piece I analysed is in the last few pages of this PDF: https://proffpoet.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/vate-english-exam-2015.pdf

Thanks in advance and sorry if its dodgy (especially the second paragraph and conclusion, was struggling to think of things to analyse), haven't done language analysis since the term 1 sac  :P

hey there ,
I looked through your piece and attached some feedback
Hope I've helped  :)

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #662 on: October 16, 2015, 05:43:03 pm »
+3
Someone mind reading my Medea essay for me, please? Any feedback is greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Why can I just not concentrate now.  Moral: don't try to mentally work after way too many hours with dementia patients.  Nah, for some reason marking anything but LA has been mashing my brain for the last month or two and I'm never happy.  Apologies for the mediocre quality of feedback, but hope it's helpful nonetheless!

VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #663 on: October 16, 2015, 07:24:51 pm »
Why can I just not concentrate now.  Moral: don't try to mentally work after way too many hours with dementia patients.  Nah, for some reason marking anything but LA has been mashing my brain for the last month or two and I'm never happy.  Apologies for the mediocre quality of feedback, but hope it's helpful nonetheless!

Thank you Bangali_Lok, means a lot..

Attached is another essay of Medea, took on your feedback of including Euripides' view, however, is it alright if we make direct conclusions of his opinions? Like saying Euripides does this... Euripides thinks this and that..? Are we allowed to make conclusions like this? If you read my essay you will see what I am talking about. Once again, your feedback is greatly appreciated and I owe you heaps..

Anyone else is welcomed to leave feedback, the more the better. Cheers.
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #664 on: October 17, 2015, 12:16:49 am »
Heyy, for English Context- Standard Expository essay style. Can we have like a creative- personal story type of introduction that implicitly signposts the ideas later on in the essay? or is that changing the style of writing to much from the standard expository essay body paragraphs.

dandunu

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #665 on: October 17, 2015, 09:47:46 am »
hey there ,
I looked through your piece and attached some feedback
Hope I've helped  :)

Thanks for the feedback :)

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #666 on: October 17, 2015, 11:01:49 am »
On the exam, what if I can't come up with a third argument/paragraph? For example, for the prompt: 'Consider some key points of difference between men's and women's experiences of life in this play. Is Euripides a feminist?'

Arguments:
- Euripides acknowledges the patriarchal, male-dominated society of 431BC and this is evident through Medea's downplay by the men of the play.

- However, Euripides is a feminist, and this is highlighted through Medea's ascension and rally of crimes as she fights for equality of rights as men.

- ?

If this was the case during an exam, what would you do?
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #667 on: October 17, 2015, 12:13:55 pm »
On the exam, what if I can't come up with a third argument/paragraph? For example, for the prompt: 'Consider some key points of difference between men's and women's experiences of life in this play. Is Euripides a feminist?'

Arguments:
- Euripides acknowledges the patriarchal, male-dominated society of 431BC and this is evident through Medea's downplay by the men of the play.

- However, Euripides is a feminist, and this is highlighted through Medea's ascension and rally of crimes as she fights for equality of rights as men.

- ?

If this was the case during an exam, what would you do?

if you're desperate, you could break down the first point?
Ie. WHICH men were affected by Medea? (one para for each -- Creon and Jason or whatever else you can come up with, which could lead to Euripides being a feminist as things didn't go well for these men)
that's fairly simplistic but better than nothing in my humble opinion

banaidil

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: lyndhurst secondary college
« Reply #668 on: October 17, 2015, 02:34:09 pm »
I wanted to know that if I start a text response with a really long sentence is that a bad thing?
Here is an example:  " Sketching a tale of the harsh and gruelling conditions endured by the indigenous Australians during Australia’s Great Depression, Jack Davis’ play ‘No Sugar’ depicts how some minority groups act out in communal defiance against the oppressive environment they lived in." And if there is any way I could word this in a more sophisticated manner, I would like to know.

Thank you :)
hey guys can you please answer this, im kinda stuck :)

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #669 on: October 17, 2015, 02:45:45 pm »
+1

depends on the prompt, that sounds like one of those rote learned sentences that's not really necessary

it still makes sense but you could try to shorten it by saying something like

Jack Davis' play 'No Sugar' depicts the harsh and gruelling conditions endured by the indigenous Australians during Australia's Great Depression. The oppressive environment endured by this minority group... blah blah blah

Cristiano

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #670 on: October 17, 2015, 02:48:09 pm »
+1
Not doing the play but here:
As a construction of the gruelling conditions encountered by indigenous Australians during Australia’s Great Depression, the play ‘No Sugar’ composed by Jack Davis intricately explores the marginalisation of various minority groups in their attempts at subsistence.

bobisnotmyname

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #671 on: October 18, 2015, 03:37:46 pm »
What do you guys think about memorizing essays. I'm really bad at English and will be happy with above 30, over the moon with 35. With the little time time in the exam, I'm thinking of taking a gamble and hoping that the prompts are similar to what I wrote a good essay on and modifying it with little effort compared to writing a completely new essay. What do you guys think?

elysian

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #672 on: October 18, 2015, 08:35:10 pm »
How would you start revising for the exam , I have no idea where to start.

cameotodd

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #673 on: October 18, 2015, 09:34:27 pm »
+1
Anyone mind reviewing my text response for 'In the Country of Men' and giving it a mark out of 10?

cheers :)
2015: Psychology, Mathematical Methods CAS, Legal Studies, Accounting, English
2016: Commerce (Accounting/Finance) UoM

thaaanyan

« Reply #674 on: October 19, 2015, 08:11:02 am »
+3
Anyone mind reviewing my text response for 'In the Country of Men' and giving it a mark out of 10?

cheers :)

No problem.
Attached. :) Hope this helps.