Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 01:50:06 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854286 times)  Share 

Krakyn

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #810 on: October 27, 2015, 06:03:58 pm »
+1
Just wondering when we bring our equipment for tomorrow.

How are we meant to bring it(sorry if this sounds like a dopey question)

Like do we bring pens/ whatever we need tied together with an elastic band.

Also are we allowed to bring our equipment in a plastic folder that is see through?

Also how will we get our vcaa student number

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow!

Bring all of your materials in a clear bag. I guess a see through plastic folder would be alright- best thing to bring is one of those clear sandwich ziplock bags.

You need student ID to complete the exam, so bring your student ID card - your number should be on there.

If you don't have one, go to your school office and ask them to print one out (go a little early if this is the case). You will need ID for all your exams.

Also, bring a dictionary - which you can use in reading time, in case you need one.

Best of luck.
2014 : Greek - 37 raw
2015 : English (48+), Maths Methods (40+), Chemistry (40+), Economics (45+), Legal Studies (40+)

ATAR Goal : 98.00

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #811 on: October 27, 2015, 06:52:43 pm »
Have a few questions about context: (expository, ID+B)

- Is it alright if you include hardly/zero quotes, but actually include references.events from selected texts and other examples?
- How many references do we need to make to the text we studied? Once per paragraph, or?
- Can we include inclusive language like we/us/our?
- Anyone have any external sources for identity and belonging?
- Can you make up sources? Like make up a book and make up a story (this is all for expository)
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #812 on: October 27, 2015, 06:59:13 pm »
+1
Have a few questions about context: (expository, ID+B)

- Is it alright if you include hardly/zero quotes, but actually include references.events from selected texts and other examples?
- How many references do we need to make to the text we studied? Once per paragraph, or?
- Can we include inclusive language like we/us/our?
- Anyone have any external sources for identity and belonging?
- Can you make up sources? Like make up a book and make up a story (this is all for expository)
1) Totally fine to have no quotes at all from your Context text. Reference the ideas, and try to talk about what the text has to say about the prompt - that's all you need.

2) At least one overt, in-depth discussion, preferably in your first B.P. Everything after that is optional, but don't make the majority of your essay about the text, or it might feel limited. Longer explanation here

3) Yes, inclusive language is fine, and even recommended sometimes to avoid constantly having to say 'one' or 'people'

4) Use what you're familiar with, or consider some of these, but don't stress yourself out tonight trying to memorise a bunch of new stuff. Focus on refining what you know, and making that as good as it can be.

5) Technically yes, but it'd be  far better if you used the sources at your disposal. You won't actually be fact-checked, but it can get messy if you're trying to make up an example while you're analysing its connection to the ideas in the prompt. Actual real-world stuff will probably make for stronger discussion anyway.

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #813 on: October 27, 2015, 07:06:40 pm »
Thank you, Lauren.

Can we also use generalised external sources, like the overall issue of refugees and how this questions one's true identity etc..?
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #814 on: October 27, 2015, 07:10:32 pm »
+1
Thank you, Lauren.

Can we also use generalised external sources, like the overall issue of refugees and how this questions one's true identity etc..?

Yep, that can work well. Just ensure you're familiar enough with the issue so that bringing up the example doesn't sound as bad as 'In Australia there are many people who are refugees and so this has an impact on their identity'  :P

Something I'd recommend as a good day-before-the-exam exercise; just go through all the evidence you have - textual or external - and practice summarising it in two sentences or less. When you're bringing it up in your body paragraph, it can often help to have one really concise statement of what the example is about first, and then you gradually unpack that over the course of your discussion. So doing this for your generalised examples might help give you and the assessor that extra bit of clarity needed.

jesterino

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #815 on: October 27, 2015, 07:17:19 pm »
Hi just looking to clear some things up before the exam. My biggest problem this year is that I always feel lost when writing a Context (Identity + Belonging) piece. My approach so far has been to treat the prompt like a I would a text response then make 3 main points which supports my contention and provide examples from my text + external sources. I know that if I continue this way into the exam my section B would be marked quite low. Recently for my exam prep, I have been trying to write in a more "philosophical manner" for my context, exploring the implications and different sides to the prompt rather than simply trying to argue my stance. Is this a better approach? Honestly I still feel very lost as I do not have any solid ideas :S

elkxvii

• Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #816 on: October 27, 2015, 07:40:39 pm »
What marks do I need to get a 40? I think I can pull 9/8/8, but would that only get me high 30s? What if I only get 8/8/8?

Krakyn

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #817 on: October 27, 2015, 07:47:03 pm »
What marks do I need to get a 40? I think I can pull 9/8/8, but would that only get me high 30s? What if I only get 8/8/8?

I'm no expert in marking, but assuming your SAC scores have been a low A+ average, I think an 8/8/8 would give you a 40, if not, very high 30s.
2014 : Greek - 37 raw
2015 : English (48+), Maths Methods (40+), Chemistry (40+), Economics (45+), Legal Studies (40+)

ATAR Goal : 98.00

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #818 on: October 27, 2015, 07:50:14 pm »
hey guys,
when Medea says she's crying (line 900 p 74 in the John Davie translation) is it because she's thinking of the fact that she will lose her children or is she thinking of how Jason hurt her?

there is a stage direction stating that she's remembering Jason's treachery, but wouldn't that just make her angry at this stage?

fightingchance

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #819 on: October 27, 2015, 07:58:02 pm »
How many persuasive techniques should we aim to discuss in our body paragraphs for language analysis? is around 3 enough?
2016-2018   Bachelor of Science @ Melbourne Uni

Cristiano

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #820 on: October 27, 2015, 08:16:47 pm »
+2
hey guys,
when Medea says she's crying (line 900 p 74 in the John Davie translation) is it because she's thinking of the fact that she will lose her children or is she thinking of how Jason hurt her?

there is a stage direction stating that she's remembering Jason's treachery, but wouldn't that just make her angry at this stage?

At the thought of "Jason's treachery", Medea is reminded of the fact that, as a result of Jason's egocentricity, the children "must be killed" and she realizes that they will experience a horrific death, ultimately in order to fulfill her quest for vengeance. Thus, she weeps and laments that "What a wretched creature I am" and in turn, her eyes are "fill[ed] with tears" at this thought, which may be Euripides' attempt at displaying Medea's underlying passion for redemption.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:21:22 pm by Cristiano »

YellowTongue

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "With God all things are possible" Mt 19:26
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #821 on: October 27, 2015, 08:24:01 pm »
In this article: http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/04/12/high-speed-rail-just-doesnt-add-up-time-to-move-on/, the author says in the second paragraph: "For anyone who can add up, the high-speed rail phase 2 study released yesterday (or, if you were a newspaper journalist, Wednesday) should bring to an end the flirtation Australia’s polity is having with the idea of a high-speed rail network.".

I can see that he's trying to use humour (i.e. "flirting"), but when he says "or, if you were a newspaper journalist, Wednesday", what is he attempting to do through this? Is he making a joke of some sort?

Also, how would you describe what the author is trying to do when he says "For anyone who can add up"?

Thank you ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:31:43 pm by YellowTongue »
"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain" Psalm 127:1a

imaware

• Forum Regular
  • School: Private
« Reply #822 on: October 27, 2015, 08:25:21 pm »
For text response if we structure our body paragraphs like below is that considered 'sitting on the fence' and not taking a stance or is it acceptable?

B1: agree
B2: agree
B3: disagree
B4: disagree

Thanks

Cristiano

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #823 on: October 27, 2015, 08:26:52 pm »
Acceptable, just have an overall contention that discusses this change.

wombat123

• Adventurer
  • School: Mercy College
« Reply #824 on: October 27, 2015, 08:29:36 pm »
URGENT!!
I need ideas for this Medea prompt!!

"Jason's only flaw is his over-ambition. Discuss."