Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:14:47 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854144 times)  Share 

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #870 on: January 08, 2016, 01:30:24 pm »
It doesn't really matter if the context/issue of your oral is something that others do. You shouldn't let this influence your decision, as you can always stand out from the crowd. Sometimes, doing these topics is a better idea because there's more room for putting a unique spin on it. If you're interested in the topic and it has garnered enough media attention, try it out. You won't be disadvantaged for doing a similar topic to others because you can't control what other people do. It's just about how well you deliver your own one.
yeah that's true... but the way I view it is that I can do a good job with the over-used topic and get an 8/10.. or I can do the same quality work on a unique issue, and because this issue isn't used often my ideas come out as especially unique and allows me to stand out more than I would with the other
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #871 on: January 08, 2016, 10:48:55 pm »
+1
yeah that's true... but the way I view it is that I can do a good job with the over-used topic and get an 8/10.. or I can do the same quality work on a unique issue, and because this issue isn't used often my ideas come out as especially unique and allows me to stand out more than I would with the other

you should do the topic you're most interested in -- you'll be naturally passionate about it which will shine through the delivery of your speech & it will also allow your writing to have a 'voice'

Bluesy123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #872 on: January 09, 2016, 12:43:34 am »
+2
you should do the topic you're most interested in -- you'll be naturally passionate about it which will shine through the delivery of your speech & it will also allow your writing to have a 'voice'

I agree with Swagadaktal. From experience, in public speaking competitions and last years oral SAC you don't necessarily have to argue a topic that you are passionate about. One of the fundamental aims of this SAC is to convince your audience to concur with your view - persuasion is a skill, a skill that can be learned. The more you practice a speech, practice intonation the more convincing you'll sound.
Even though teachers may say otherwise, the more a topic is used the harder it is to standout and engage your audience (unless it outshines the other speeches on the same topic) and subliminally even, the teacher will be not as intrigued in your arguments (most of which are likely to have been covered by other students) than if you chose a unique topic with fresh arguments and ideas.
Ultimately, no matter what topic you choose you should be able to imbue it with a 'voice' however vague and abstract that sounds.
In my opinion, choose a speech topic that your audience may not have even considered - get them thinking.
Good luck

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #873 on: January 09, 2016, 03:13:47 pm »
+1
I agree with Swagadaktal. From experience, in public speaking competitions and last years oral SAC you don't necessarily have to argue a topic that you are passionate about. One of the fundamental aims of this SAC is to convince your audience to concur with your view - persuasion is a skill, a skill that can be learned. The more you practice a speech, practice intonation the more convincing you'll sound.
Even though teachers may say otherwise, the more a topic is used the harder it is to standout and engage your audience (unless it outshines the other speeches on the same topic) and subliminally even, the teacher will be not as intrigued in your arguments (most of which are likely to have been covered by other students) than if you chose a unique topic with fresh arguments and ideas.
Ultimately, no matter what topic you choose you should be able to imbue it with a 'voice' however vague and abstract that sounds.
In my opinion, choose a speech topic that your audience may not have even considered - get them thinking.
Good luck

good point, however I was merely making a suggestion based on what worked for me in VCE and through high school. Surely Swagadaktal will make the right choice :)

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #874 on: January 09, 2016, 03:42:04 pm »
+1
ok guys, thanks for the responses (love you all xx) : an update, I am doing my oral on the way the government deals with indigenous disadvantages.
My contention: The government is not taking enough action to support the indigenous community. So far my body paragraphs go as follows: B1: indigenous deaths in custody - An aboriginal person is 20 times more likely to be imprisoned than non-aboriginal people, and the chances of them dying in custody is significant - The government has cut fundings to the Aboriginal Legal service which attributes to these deaths as they dont have proper representation.
B2: The government is only now considering to represent the indigenous in the constitution. - 2 points to this A) the government has waited too long to do this, B) It's not really achieving much
B3) Ways to improve treatment of our indigenous
Thoughts? ilys <3 you can pm me if you want to go more in-depth and stuff
thanks guys :D

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #875 on: January 09, 2016, 03:48:15 pm »
ok guys, thanks for the responses (love you all xx) : an update, I am doing my oral on the way the government deals with indigenous disadvantages.
My contention: The government is not taking enough action to support the indigenous community. So far my body paragraphs go as follows: B1: indigenous deaths in custody - An aboriginal person is 20 times more likely to be imprisoned than non-aboriginal people, and the chances of them dying in custody is significant - The government has cut fundings to the Aboriginal Legal service which attributes to these deaths as they dont have proper representation.
B2: The government is only now considering to represent the indigenous in the constitution. - 2 points to this A) the government has waited too long to do this, B) It's not really achieving much

sounds great!
definitely interested -- during all my years of doing and listening to oral presentations, I have never heard or presented a speech on this topic!

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #876 on: January 09, 2016, 03:53:50 pm »
sounds great!
definitely interested -- during all my years of doing and listening to oral presentations, I have never heard or presented a speech on this topic!
aha that's really reassuring

Pawnpusher

« Reply #877 on: January 09, 2016, 04:01:07 pm »
I did my oral on footy helmets on why they shouldnt be allowed, i dont even know if that was a contentious issue.. meh teacher liked it...everyone else was asleep..

vor0005

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #878 on: January 09, 2016, 04:07:09 pm »
+2

I'd save Body 3 for the "solutions" section of your oral (towards the end).

Instead, consider a rebuttal for your third body. For example: the government deems spending more money on the indigenous peoples as a waste - then, shut it down with evidence that justifies further expenditure on aboriginals (i.e. the irreversible hurt they incurred in the past, stolen generation, poverty gap etc.)
VCE English Tutoring 2016 - RAW 50 Study Score

2014: Biology [41]
2015: English [50] , Psychology [43] , Legal Studies [41]  , Mathematical Methods , Economics

ATAR: 97.25

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #879 on: January 09, 2016, 06:50:33 pm »
I'd save Body 3 for the "solutions" section of your oral (towards the end).

Instead, consider a rebuttal for your third body. For example: the government deems spending more money on the indigenous peoples as a waste - then, shut it down with evidence that justifies further expenditure on aboriginals (i.e. the irreversible hurt they incurred in the past, stolen generation, poverty gap etc.)
Um how about this, " Critics argue that plenty of government resources, time and effort has been placed in hopes of helping the indigenous community, but the community is not willing to change." - then rebut it using my solution.
Which is to give more jobs to indigenous community, and reflecting on methods proven by other governments (inbox me if you want the whole thing, not sure about how much detail you guys want in order to give me feedback :P)

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #880 on: January 09, 2016, 06:55:23 pm »
Um how about this, " Critics argue that plenty of government resources, time and effort has been placed in hopes of helping the indigenous community, but the community is not willing to change." - then rebut it using my solution.
Which is to give more jobs to indigenous community, and reflecting on methods proven by other governments (inbox me if you want the whole thing, not sure about how much detail you guys want in order to give me feedback :P)
OOh a critical point I left out, is that although the government is providing resources, they are not utilising the resources provided effectively. We need to use the same resources in different ways

bts

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #881 on: January 11, 2016, 01:22:43 pm »
hey i was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion on how to improve this paragraph topic sentence. it seems quite dull for a topic sentence... its about using weapons especially in government for power.

'Despite the common use of weapons to settle disputes, there is a diverse range of other alternatives to combat problems and successfully govern. Weapons are often resorted to, primarily for the induced fear towards victims...'

Any help would be appreciated :)

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #882 on: January 11, 2016, 01:50:34 pm »
+1
hey i was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion on how to improve this paragraph topic sentence. it seems quite dull for a topic sentence... its about using weapons especially in government for power.

'Despite the common use of weapons to settle disputes, there is a diverse range of other alternatives to combat problems and successfully govern. Weapons are often resorted to, primarily for the induced fear towards victims...'

Weapons are often prioritised by governments over the wide range of alternatives due to their coercive nature.
Does this work? I'm no English genius just had a go :P

bts

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #883 on: January 11, 2016, 01:57:47 pm »
thank you Swagadaktal for your suggestion! i'll give it a shot and see if it fits :)

Champ101

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Dreams don't work unless you do
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #884 on: January 11, 2016, 02:07:52 pm »
+6

Weapons - cold, mechanical instruments designed to inflict harm by those who control them. Unfortunately, in many cases, the guise of defence conceals the responsibility of those who yield such instruments, responsibility which is ultimately abrogated in the pursuit of power, control and intimidation - a propensity which thrives off the innocence and acquiescence of those they're used to protect.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:15:41 pm by Champ101 »
English [50]
Accounting [45]

Giving away (for free) English, Methods and Accounting notes
PM me if interested