Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 10:04:08 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854230 times)  Share 

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #885 on: January 11, 2016, 02:14:07 pm »
Weapons - cold, mechanical instruments designed to inflict harm by those who control them. Unfortunately, in many cases, the guise of defence is purported while the responsibility of those who yield such instruments is unnervingly abrogated in the pursuit of power, control and intimidation - a propensity which thrives off the innocence and acquiescence of those their used to protect.
I actually had to google 3 of those words.. damn
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

Pawnpusher

« Reply #886 on: January 11, 2016, 02:19:40 pm »

Same :') i always got told that examiners dont like using their dictionaries.. cant argue with a 50 tho

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #887 on: January 11, 2016, 02:20:52 pm »
Same :') i always got told that examiners dont like using their dictionaries.. cant argue with a 50 tho
is that what it takes to get a 50?
coz my vocab isnt that deep its just good enough for l.a and text responses :3

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #888 on: January 11, 2016, 02:23:24 pm »

Man, don't stress - you have a whole year still to develop a deeper vocabulary.

Champ101

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Dreams don't work unless you do
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #889 on: January 11, 2016, 02:40:24 pm »
+4

I wouldn't worry too much about your vocabulary, it is important but focus on the complexity of your ideas first and how clearly and succinctly you convey those ideas. Your vocabulary will improve naturally the more you read and the more you write. Just look out for 'uncommon' words and try use them in your pieces of writing. As Euler said it's only the start of the year.
English [50]
Accounting [45]

Giving away (for free) English, Methods and Accounting notes
PM me if interested

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #890 on: January 11, 2016, 02:54:13 pm »
+6

Your vocabulary doesn't need to be pretentious or overly deep, it justs needs to be sophisticated. Also LA vocalubary doesn't need to be that sophisticated, you just need to explain your points well and know your terminology. I think there is a stickied post by DJA on TR expression on the English boards.

As for text response vocabulary, read high-scoring essays and other stuff to learn new words (write the words in a notebook and learn how to use them in a sentence). Also read study guides (even as someone who detests text study guides, I must say VATE is really good and Insight is okay) and literary commentary (these are the best but they are more common for older texts like Wuthering Heights and Shakespeare, you may be able to find some on Academia.com and Paris Review) on your selected texts for specific vocab and terminogy that complements your text.

No 50er but I got 20/20 for text response in the exam
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:39:55 pm by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #891 on: January 11, 2016, 02:59:29 pm »
+5
Hey guys, just letting you know that the first post in this thread has been updated to include more answers to common areas of concern, and they've now been sorted within each section, so you can browse through specific sub-categories within 'Text Response', 'Context' etc.

Hopefully this'll make things more navigable so that you can browse through past responses and then ask additional questions if you need. As always, if there's anything English-y that you need clarification with (for a pre-existing or entirely new question,) then drop it in this thread and someone'll help you out :)

(The English Q and A thread turns one year old today :'D they grow up so fast!)

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #892 on: January 11, 2016, 03:40:15 pm »
+3
Meaning no offence to Champ101, I reckon the original TS was better, simply because it was simpler and clearer.  I wouldn't recommend trying to imitate that complex/wordy style because it sounds just a touch pretentious and confusing (I explain my reasoning in detail here).  But I got the 43 and they got the 50, so :P

I liked Swagadaktal's though - very clear, crisp and to the point. (y)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #893 on: January 11, 2016, 03:42:30 pm »
+1
Meaning no offence to Champ101, I reckon the original TS was better, simply because it was simpler and clearer.  I wouldn't recommend trying to imitate that complex/wordy style because it sounds just a touch pretentious and confusing (I explain my reasoning in detail here).  But I got the 43 and they got the 50, so :P

I liked Swagadaktal's though - very clear, crisp and to the point. (y)
omg bangali stop that sweet talk of yours, if I was a diabetic I wouldn't be able to handle you

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #894 on: January 11, 2016, 03:46:41 pm »
omg bangali stop that sweet talk of yours, if I was a diabetic I wouldn't be able to handle you

Remember that I just criticised someone else (soz), so it's clearly not sugary flattery :P

(still undecided about whether you were complimenting me or not LOL)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #895 on: January 11, 2016, 03:50:15 pm »
Remember that I just criticised someone else (soz), so it's clearly not sugary flattery :P

(still undecided about whether you were complimenting me or not LOL)
It's a compliment boo :P

Splash-Tackle-Flail

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • diagnosed with bangali-fever
  • Respect: +94
« Reply #896 on: January 11, 2016, 04:15:59 pm »
+5

Don't worry I had to google 3 of them too!
VCE: Done!
2016:  Monash University, Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (Honours)
Currently offering Methods and Chemistry tutoring for 2016! (Currently full for 2016)
Splash's Life Tips :)
How to be the one who knocks

huehue

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #897 on: January 11, 2016, 05:38:56 pm »
Hello everyone! Can someone please tell me how language analysis is changing next year? I've been told that it's more argument focused but not sure what that means. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:40:41 pm by huehue »

teacher28

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #898 on: January 12, 2016, 11:38:09 am »
I've been told that it's more argument focused but not sure what that means. Thanks :)

It's a subtle though significant change that the assessment commentary has been hinting at for a couple of years now making reference to aspects such as the logic or reason behind the argument. Remember that VCAA is a fickle creature!  What was enough last year or the year before may be simply the foundation in 2016.

This suggests that analysis is now more focused on analysing HOW the 'language' (words, visual texts, syntax, order of supporting points, for example) attempts to elicit THE AUDIENCE'S ACCEPTANCE of and or AGREEMENT with the SUPPORTING ARGUMENTS and therefore the CONTENTION.

This approach shifts attention away from simple investigation of what devices are being used, how  and why, and places the focus on a holistic view.

To achieve this come back to the over-riding point of view a couple of times through your analysis and make further reference to the supporting arguments that work to buttress the contention using phrases such as "highlights the point that...", "reinforces the main point of view expounded by ..." or "underlines the main argument that...".

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:42:01 am by teacher28 »
I think, I speak, I act. Therefore... I create my own reality.

teacher28

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #899 on: January 12, 2016, 12:13:13 pm »
+3
Weapons - cold, mechanical instruments designed to inflict harm by those who control them. Unfortunately, in many cases, the guise of defence conceals the responsibility of those who yield such instruments, responsibility which is ultimately abrogated in the pursuit of power, control and intimidation - a propensity which thrives off the innocence and acquiescence of those their used to protect.

Like bangali_lok, I mean no offence either, Champ 101, but I agree with the point that you can propose a sophisticated idea without using too many BIG words. I also agree that while most teachers welcome the opportunity to expand their vocabulary, examiners do not want to be hitting the dictionary  every few seconds.

When so-called sophisticated word-use turns elegance into bling a strict paring down and tightening up is called for. If you were one of my students I would have edited thus:

"...responsibility which is ultimately destroyed by the desire to control and intimidate -- a tendency which thrives on the weakness of the  innocent and submissive whom the powerful have a duty to protect."

(...those their used to protect.")

I do, however, like the innovative syntax of your introductory sentence!

"Weapons -- cold, mechanical instruments designed to inflict harm by those who control them."
I think, I speak, I act. Therefore... I create my own reality.