Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 08:15:37 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854206 times)  Share 

nadiaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1065 on: April 19, 2016, 05:43:52 pm »
Hi guys,
For creating & presenting, my sister told when she did year 12 (in 2014) her tutor told her that you dont mention language, structures & features in your expository essays -- you just use the themes and mainly explore the themes through external examples. Is this correct??
Thanks guys  :)

blacksanta62

• Forum Leader
  • "Anything is possible"-KG
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1066 on: April 19, 2016, 08:08:10 pm »
The linked article supports my POV on the Safe Schools program. In this article Judith Ireland says activities in the Safe Schools program are "touching" and "G-rated".

I quoted this in my speech but my teacher says to briefly mention what she (Ireland) bases this on. What does my teacher want me to do exactly? Can I just briefly explain one of the activities. I'm confused with what she's recommending. Thank you :))

Edit: Forgot to link the article  :P

The link: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/there-is-nothing-dangerous-about-the-safe-schools-coalition-20160224-gn2yrn.html
2016:
Spesh | Methods CAS | Chem | Bio | Eng |

2018-2020:
BSc @ UoM

japanese

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1067 on: April 20, 2016, 08:08:33 pm »
hi,
for my oral i'm doing gender selection. I was wondering if someone can help me in explaining the argument for gender selection which states that it can help with balancing the gender of the family.
Thankyou
2016: English, Psychology, Further Mathematics, Studio Art and Japanese.

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #1068 on: April 21, 2016, 11:19:55 am »
+1
Hi guys,
For creating & presenting, my sister told when she did year 12 (in 2014) her tutor told her that you dont mention language, structures & features in your expository essays -- you just use the themes and mainly explore the themes through external examples. Is this correct??
Thanks guys  :)
Yep, totally right. You can delve into language features or quotes if you want to, but you're under no obligation to do so for Context pieces. Ideas are way more important :)

The linked article supports my POV on the Safe Schools program. In this article Judith Ireland says activities in the Safe Schools program are "touching" and "G-rated".

I quoted this in my speech but my teacher says to briefly mention what she (Ireland) bases this on. What does my teacher want me to do exactly? Can I just briefly explain one of the activities. I'm confused with what she's recommending. Thank you :))

Edit: Forgot to link the article  :P

The link: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/there-is-nothing-dangerous-about-the-safe-schools-coalition-20160224-gn2yrn.html
Okay so (correct me if I'm wrong) you're arguing that the Safe Schools Program is a good thing that'll be beneficial for students? And you're citing Ireland as someone who believes the program to be "touching" and "G-rated." I'm guessing your teacher just wants you to substantiate these points by discussion how and why the program is "G-rated"/harmless/suitable for children rather than letting that quote do the work for you. So discussing one of the activities might help, but it seems like she just wants you to unpack the rationale behind the program being safer than others in the media may be portraying it.

hi,
for my oral i'm doing gender selection. I was wondering if someone can help me in explaining the argument for gender selection which states that it can help with balancing the gender of the family.
Thankyou
Not entirely sure what you're wanting to argue here? Is it that people should have the right to choose the gender of their children? If so, why do you think this is important? You mention 'balancing the gender of the family' - why is this a good thing? Not saying you're wrong; just trying to flesh out this line of argument a bit. What kind of advantages are there in being able to have this choice, and what disadvantages are there if that choice isn't available? You may also find it useful to read up on some opinion pieces about this to get a feel for what common arguments you could add to or rebut.

NerdyPi

« Reply #1069 on: April 21, 2016, 04:17:31 pm »
Hi guys, so I have my context SAC next week (On Foe, for Whose Reality), and I was just wondering if this example would be enough of a link back to Foe:

There's a character in Foe named "Friday", who starts dancing around the house in the novel, and becomes completely unresponsive when doing this. The protagonist Susan eventually concludes that he does this to escape reality. In my piece, (if I get a prompt that has something to do with coping with reality or creating illusions), I was thinking of writing about a young autistic boy, named "Freddy", being bullied at school (from the mother's perceptive), and talking about how he's started dancing around the grass at lunch and recess, which results in him being able to block out the bullies, and hence becoming significantly happier.

Obviously I would need other examples in my piece to get to 900+ words, but would this example alone be enough of a link back to Foe?  Thanks everyone :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:19:17 pm by NerdyPi »

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1070 on: April 21, 2016, 09:46:11 pm »
This suggests these people did not feel the devotion the reader would typically associate with "owner[ s ]" and their pets. The implication being that the deprivation these animals endure is not only physical but also psychological in nature. This has the effect of emphasising how great this cruelty was.

The bolded bit isn't a sentence according to some feedback I got from my teacher.
My question is this:
1) Why isn't it a sentence?
2) How do I make it into a sentence? I want to keep the word "implication" but I have no idea how to actually use it in a sentence apparently.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:53:48 pm by HopefulLawStudent »

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1071 on: April 21, 2016, 10:09:33 pm »
ALSO how do I combat tone irregularities? In my LA pieces what's started to happen is I start slipping into past tense. I'm guessing it's because my issue (greyhound racing) is one that is by and large a 2015 issue and so in my mind, I keep moving to speak of the issue in past tense because it's already happened and so it makes sense to me to have past tense. What can I do to resolve my tense issue?

My English teacher told me to just "be conscious" of it and it'd resolve itself but it hasn't and I don't know what to do. Like legit, I went through a piece I previously wrote and scrutinised every. single. word. and somehow, there are still substantial tense irregularities (I oscillate between present and past tense throughout my entire essay) that I didn't pick up at all and I'm only just now seeing because my English teacher has pointed them out. Being conscious of it didn't work, editing clearly won't work either... Does anyone have any solution?

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #1072 on: April 21, 2016, 10:51:29 pm »
+1
ALSO how do I combat tone irregularities? In my LA pieces what's started to happen is I start slipping into past tense. I'm guessing it's because my issue (greyhound racing) is one that is by and large a 2015 issue and so in my mind, I keep moving to speak of the issue in past tense because it's already happened and so it makes sense to me to have past tense. What can I do to resolve my tense issue?

My English teacher told me to just "be conscious" of it and it'd resolve itself but it hasn't and I don't know what to do. Like legit, I went through a piece I previously wrote and scrutinised every. single. word. and somehow, there are still substantial tense irregularities (I oscillate between present and past tense throughout my entire essay) that I didn't pick up at all and I'm only just now seeing because my English teacher has pointed them out. Being conscious of it didn't work, editing clearly won't work either... Does anyone have any solution?

I had the exact same problem, oddly enough with an LA on greyhound racing haha
I used to switch tense a lot without realising and the only thing that helped me overcome it was being really anal and meticulously editing my work immediately. I noticed that I made a lot of silly mistakes under pressure so I'd suggest writing an essay at home without time constraints and editing as you go (as soon as you finish a sentence, read over it and fix any errors.  Repeat and continue this until you finish) You will become faster at this trust me and soon it will be second nature to you. Once I had formed this habit I also never needed to allocate extra time at the end to edit. (If I had spare time I would use it, but I usually didn't)

Something else that I found helpful was a lot of self talk as I was writing I know I sound like a maniac shh Little reminders like "remember that X author encourages not encouraged Z reader to reconsider..." every time you're about to flesh something out could work for you

Basically, you're only going to see a mistake in two situations: as soon as you've made it, or several minutes/hours/days later. In the interim (when you're writing the rest of your essay) you probably won't see it so you have to actively try and avoid small mistakes

sorry if this is something you've already heard, but this pretty much resolved my tense issues

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1073 on: April 22, 2016, 09:57:29 am »
Hi literally lauren
I pm you about some English confusions, are you able to help me out?
thanks 

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #1074 on: April 22, 2016, 10:39:02 am »
+4
Hi guys, so I have my context SAC next week (On Foe, for Whose Reality), and I was just wondering if this example would be enough of a link back to Foe:

There's a character in Foe named "Friday", who starts dancing around the house in the novel, and becomes completely unresponsive when doing this. The protagonist Susan eventually concludes that he does this to escape reality. In my piece, (if I get a prompt that has something to do with coping with reality or creating illusions), I was thinking of writing about a young autistic boy, named "Freddy", being bullied at school (from the mother's perceptive), and talking about how he's started dancing around the grass at lunch and recess, which results in him being able to block out the bullies, and hence becoming significantly happier.

Obviously I would need other examples in my piece to get to 900+ words, but would this example alone be enough of a link back to Foe?  Thanks everyone :)
That sounds really cool, actually!

First thing's first: for your Context SACs you'll have the chance to write a Statement of Intention/ Written Explanation in which you justify the choices that you've made and flesh out the links between your piece and the context/ prompt/ set text. It's a tricky thing to talk about because each school (and sometimes even each teacher) handles it differently, so you might be told that the S.O.I. is hugely important and determines your overall mark, or that it doesn't even matter and you just have to do it to satisfy the requirement. There are even some schools that don't make students do it at all (which is against VCAA's regulations but I ain't namin' no names cause I ain't no snitch...)

Point being: with the advantage of a S.O.I. where you can drop the pretense of a story at the end and just say 'I've written an imaginative narrative that takes inspiration from Foe's character Friday in order to show...' - there'll be no doubt what you were trying to say. HOWEVER:
a) your teacher may not give much credence to the S.O.I. and will prefer it if they can just read your story and understand the links. i.e. if they need to read the S.O.I. to get the connection, then your piece has failed in some regard because...
b) you won't get the chance to write an S.O.I. in the exam! This doesn't mean you have to ditch this narrative completely, but it might mean that you'll need to adapt your story so that the connections are extremely obvious, just in case.

The two tips I have for you:
- make sure that's not all your piece is exploring. The fact that you've noted you'll "need other examples" tells me you probably already know this, but the creative stories that just retell the plot of the set text by changing a few details around whilst conveying exactly the same message don't tend to be very impressive.

It's kind of like how, if you were studying The Titanic, and you wrote a piece with identical-ish characters only it's set on a plane in the year 2012 instead of 1912. You're not really doing anything different with the ideas of that text. Contrast this with a piece that follows The Titanic's narrative but adopts the POV of one of those selfish characters who pushes others out of the way to get onto a lifeboat. Then the story continues from their perspective as they have to contemplate the enormity of their actions and the fact that they prioritised their own lives above others'. Originally, the film explores an act of selflessness, so by looking at the flip side of that, you're furthering the discussion rather than limiting yourself to the ideas evident in the film.

- & this may or may not suit you, but something that can be very effective if well executed is using some of the language of the text in your own writing. You can do this verbatim just to ensure some fairly obvious links to the set text, or you can modify and recontextualise them to add depth to your story. eg. the line "He does not know what freedom is" which is fairly central in Foe could be said by Freddy's mother in your story while she watches him dance after dropping him off at school that day. Or you might even change it to "He knows what freedom is" if you wanted to put a different spin on it.

^That kind of stuff is great to explore in your S.O.I. too, if you so desire.

This suggests these people did not feel the devotion the reader would typically associate with "owner[ s ]" and their pets. The implication being that the deprivation these animals endure is not only physical but also psychological in nature. This has the effect of emphasising how great this cruelty was.

The bolded bit isn't a sentence according to some feedback I got from my teacher.
My question is this:
1) Why isn't it a sentence?
2) How do I make it into a sentence? I want to keep the word "implication" but I have no idea how to actually use it in a sentence apparently.
Fair warning, I have written the equivalent of a postgrad thesis on the question 'what is a sentence?' at uni, and it's the kind of surprisingly open-ended question that keeps academic linguists up at night, but I'll try and break this down:

The implication being that the deprivation these animals endure is not only physical but also psychological in nature.

The golden rule (in English and about 98% of documented languages worldwide) is that a sentence must have two things: a noun phrase and a verb phrase. Or, in less jargon-y terms: a thing and stuff that happens to that thing.

For example:
She is a talented bellydancer.
He laughs a lot.
The Czech Republic recently changed its name to Czechia.
Through this, the author highlights the brutality of mankind.

Red = Noun Phrases / 'things'
Green = Verb Phrases / 'stuff that happens'

All of the sentences above are totally grammatical. The first two are more straightforward since we've got our 'thing' (she/he respectively) that the whole sentence is focussing on. In the first sentence we need to include the stuff that comes after the verb 'is' (because we can't just say 'She is' unless we're trying to say 'She exists' but we're trying to say 'She is a bellydancer' so we need that other information). In the second sentence, though, 'a lot' is more omitable since we could still convey the main gist of the sentence 'He laughs' without it.

The third example is similar to the first in that we need the information that comes after the verb 'changed,' but we don't really need 'recently.' So we can include stuff in between the noun phrase and the verb phrase if we want to. Finally, the last sentence has some optional information at the start of the sentence (i.e. 'Through this,') in the form of a linking phrase.

Compare these sentences to:
She a bellydancer.
Laughs he a lot.
The Czech recently changed Republic its name to Czechia.
Through this, highlighting the brutality of mankind.

NONE of these are grammatical! The first is missing a verb phrase. The second has the verb phrase occurring before the noun phrase. The third has a verb phrase interrupting the noun phrase, and the fourth is missing a noun phrase.

So the rules are:
- Every sentence must have a 'thing'/NP and 'stuff that happens to the thing'/VP
- The NP must come BEFORE the VP
- There can be information BETWEEN the NP and the VP but not WITHIN them.
- Other additional and omittable information can occur before or after the NP and VP.

Now let's consider your sentence:

The implication being (?) that the deprivation these animals endure is not only physical but also psychological in nature.

'The implication' is fine as an NP so you don't have to change that. The problem comes with your choice of VP.

The verb 'being' can't occur on its own; it needs another verb.

Try and use 'being' in a sentence as a verb. You'll likely come up with something like:
- I hate being so forgetful.
- I am used to being left out.
- My pen is being very difficult right now.
- You are just being silly.

In every one of these sentences, there's another verb involved.
Spoiler
- I hate being so forgetful.
- I am used to being left out.
- My pen is being very difficult right now.
- You are just being silly.

'Being' as a verb is something that adds additional information to a verb (and basically emphasises the present tense, but we won't get into that). So using 'being' without another verb is kind of like using the word 'the' without anything after it.

The is that the deprivation these animals endure is not only physical but also psychological in nature.

Sounds weird, right?

The easiest change we can make to this sentence would be:
The implication being is that the deprivation these animals endure is not only physical but also psychological in nature.

...though there are a few other possible alternatives that could work, so feel free to run them by me if you're unsure.

tl;dr:
Your original version isn't a sentence because the verb isn't right. It would be okay if it were tacked onto a previous statement like: The author suggests that their suffering is "manifold;" the implication being that the deprivation these animals endure is not only physical but also psychological in nature. But as a standalone sentence, it is incomplete.

I can't tell if that was too vague or too extensive but please let me know if any of that didn't make sense and I'll do my best to explain things. I know it can be really tough when you're told your intuitions are wrong and you can't work out why, and correcting false impressions is one of the hardest things to fix, but good on you for isolating this concern. Hopefully that process above will help you work out where you're going wrong.

Hi literally lauren
I pm you about some English confusions, are you able to help me out?
thanks 
Post on the forums and I should get back to you sooner :)

YellowTongue

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "With God all things are possible" Mt 19:26
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1075 on: April 25, 2016, 07:40:27 am »
What would you say is the intended effect of the author in the opening paragraph of this article?:

http://m.smh.com.au/comment/bring-back-the-nightlife-lockout-laws-require-a-rethink-20160214-gmtl6v.html

"I wouldn’t hit the Kings Cross night clubs if they were opened til 6am or shut promptly on the dot at 6pm. After all, nothing will make you feel old like seeing hordes of party people who weren’t even born when you could take your first legal drink."
"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain" Psalm 127:1a

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #1076 on: April 25, 2016, 04:28:55 pm »
+2
What would you say is the intended effect of the author in the opening paragraph of this article?:

http://m.smh.com.au/comment/bring-back-the-nightlife-lockout-laws-require-a-rethink-20160214-gmtl6v.html

"I wouldn’t hit the Kings Cross night clubs if they were opened til 6am or shut promptly on the dot at 6pm. After all, nothing will make you feel old like seeing hordes of party people who weren’t even born when you could take your first legal drink."

He's trying to make a joke by saying he's too old to be clubbing anyway, and therefore is unaffected by the lockout laws. I'd say he wants to appear likeable to readers by opening with this line because if you hadn't seen the title of the piece one might assume that he endorses the lockout laws and that was just a bitter rant rather than a joke

However we realise that it's not because he then states "Despite this I think it’s time for a rethink of the state’s alcohol lockout laws because it is undeniable that a large part of Sydney’s night life is closing down, perhaps never to reappear... the lockout laws in Sydney are squeezing the life out of Sydney’s social scene" and the rest of his piece laments the loss of Sydney's nightlife because he sees it as a positive thing. Note his use of language such as "previously vibrant metropolitan streetscapes" "squeezing the life out" and that the Premier "killed the promised review of the laws"... I might be going off on a bit of a tangent but these words are all associated with life/death, so it links to how he thinks "parts of the city are now a wasteland"

Also there's a huge picture of him before the text (he doesn't look that old) and he has a modern-ish haircut which further reinforces the idea that he is relatable and not some ancient politician complaining about Sydney's club scene
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:36:31 pm by tashhhaaa »

zxcvbnm18

• Forum Regular
  • School: .
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1077 on: April 25, 2016, 06:08:30 pm »
ENGLISH Q&A AND PAST QUESTIONS DATABASE

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the VCE English (or EAL) course about what the tasks entail or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask!

However, if you're looking for text-specific advice (eg. 'How could I talk about character X from text Y' or 'Is my interpretation of Z correct?') then please make a new thread on the English page. This section is designed to be an information and advice resource, so keep your questions fairly general, if possible.

If you're looking for essay marking and feedback, go to the English Work Submission and Marking

Who can/ will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable in English, - since we all know there's rarely one "right" answer ;)

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or you're advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or w/e; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

I will endeavour to help wherever I can, but there'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you. So you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights.

Which questions get included in the database?
The questions in the tabs below are ones deemed helpful to multiple people (ie. dealing with common pitfalls and struggles.) That is not to say other questions are less valid, but these are just the most common areas that students need help with, so please have a read through some before asking your own questions. If there are points that haven't been covered yet, or you'd like a more detailed explanation for an existing question, post here and we can update the database for everyone.

There's also a list of useful Language Analysis vocab attached to this post :)

TEXT RESPONSE
Preparation
What to discuss in a T.R. essay + picking out evidence? (helpful for early in the year)
The 'goal' of T.R. essays (scroll down to second response)
Using background information
Understanding the text

Planning
Planning T.R. essays (scroll down to second response)

Essay Structure
Teachers "recommending" structures

Introductions
What should be included in the intro? 
Structuring introductions
How to make introductions more sophisticated 
What makes an introductions stand out
Using quotes in the introduction (2)

Body Paragraphs
Wording of topic sentences
Choosing evidence from the text
Finding paragraph weaknesses? (scroll down to third response)
Appropriate explanation of evidence in essays (2)

Ideas
Coming up with original ideas
The difference between 'surface level' themes and 'in-depth' themes
Making simple ideas sophisticated
Memorising ideas
Exploring the impact of major/minor characters

Conclusions
Structuring conclusions (2)

Contentions
Strengthening contentions

Areas of Study
The most important criterion
Layers of Text Response texts
Learning about Views and Values with Harry Potter
Addressing views and values (ft. Paddington Bear)
Branching out from the text and explaining the marking process

Prompts
What are 'implications?'
How to discuss implications (2)
Dealing with difficult prompts
Why 'How...' questions aren't as scary as you think
Addressing 'Do you agree?' prompts

Quotes
Embedding quotes
Shortening and integrating quotes
Memorising and categorising quotes
Memorising quotes for the exam

Exam Preparation
Choosing your exam text before the exam (2)
Making the most of rereading texts
Planning in the exam + choosing exam text

CONTEXT
Criteria
A translation of VCAA's criteria?
Why memorisation is a massive pitfall
How to ensure relevance
Explaining the target audience
Originality in context pieces
How to approach Context studying

Intoductions
Why you shouldn't mention Hitler ;) and the importance of originality in context + my sample intro
What should be in an introduction?

Body Paragraphs
Structuring body paragraphs (2) (3)

General Stylistic Advice
Forms and styles: playing it safe
A basic overview of the three styles
Equal opportunity writing styles? + waxing poetic about The American Dream
Choosing a style

Expository Writing
Balancing examples with discussion + responding to prompts + expository structure?
Abstract discussion in expository essays (with pretty colours because Lauren learnt how to format)
Tips for expository writing
What to include in expository pieces - ft. cake

Imaginative/Creative Writing
Benefits of the Imaginative style? (scroll down to second response)
An explanation of the 'show, don't tell' rule for creative writing
Made-up stories

Persuasive Writing
Structuring a persuasive piece

Ideas
Generating ideas (2)
Managing different ideas at once
Going beyond the text: The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Year 12 English
Ratio of examples to discussion + questioning the prompts?
Using close analysis (ie. symbols, motifs) in a Context piece?

Set Texts
Extent of set text usage (2) (3) (4)
Quoting the set text
'Jumping around' within the text, and why chronological exposition isn't worth much (scroll up a bit for an example involving a headless chicken)
Using texts from previous years

External Examples
Finding external examples
Tying in examples, and zooming in/out?
Trying to find examples (esp. for Encountering Conflict)
Categorising examples
Linking between examples
Sopistication of examples (scroll to third response) (2) (3)
Using risky examples (2)

Prompts
Questioning the prompts - with example (scroll to second response)
Dissecting prompts
Simplifying prompts - using the 2013 conflict prompt as an example
Unpacking prompts (2)
The importance of prompts

MISCELLANEOUS
Studying for English
Advice for Year 12s (2)
Improving in English
'Thinking' in English, with a chicken-flavoured analogy
Fascilitating self-improvement
Going beyond practice essays
Using high-scoring responses
Frequency of study
Typing or handwriting essays? (scroll down to second response)
Is a tutor necessary? (Spoilers! The answer is no.)
SAC Preparation (2)

Using Study Guides
Using study guides (2) (3)

Reading
Wider Reading
Reading academic journals?

Vocabulary
Acquiring new vocabulary (2)
Improving vocabulary (2) (3) (4) (5)
Circumlocating verbosity (2)
Vocab: evoke/provoke/invoke
Self-editing for expression
Improving clunky sentences (scroll down to second response)

General Writing Tips
Overcoming writer's block (2) (3) (4) (4) (5) (6)
Quality vs. Quantity: recommended word count?
Writing with clarity

Time Constraints
Dealing with time esp. in the exam (2) (3) (4)
Planning under timed conditions?
Timing of SACs
Cost/benefit analysis of planning under test conditions
How to prepare for time constraints
Concerns about timing + checklist to go through before a SAC (scroll down to second response)

Advice for non-Year 12s and other English subjects
Advice for Year 9/10 English?
General advice for year 11
English/EAL differences
English 3/4 without 1/2 (with Lit 1/2)

Exam Preparation
When to start studying for the exam
Exam Details (scroll down to second response)
Exam writing booklets
What to bring to the exam (2)
Assorted pre-exam questions 2015 (2)
How exam marking works
Day before the exam?

In the Exam
Order of essays (scroll down to second response) (2)
Timing in the exam

Anyways to improve my fluency in essays?

Callum@1373

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • National Youth Science Forum Session C 2016!
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1078 on: April 25, 2016, 06:16:48 pm »
Does anyone have any good examples for identity and belonging which I could use to talk about how sometimes belonging leads to the development of identity? E.g 'The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.' ~ Mahatma Gandhi
2015: Business Management [48]
2016: English [43] Specialist Mathematics [43] Methods [46] Chemistry [45] Biology [45]

ATAR: 99.65
NYSF Session C 2016

Recipient of ANU National Scholars Program

http://www.callum-lowe.weebly.com

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1079 on: April 25, 2016, 06:28:03 pm »

How do I describe her facial expression? In this scene, she's sorta staring off into the distance dreaming about a life she can never have because it's so wildly beyond her means. She's singing about how it'd be lovely to have chocolate and warmth and what have you but she and the audience know that such things would have been beyond her means. I have no idea how to describe her facial expression though.

I know this isn't English (actually for Lit but the Lit boards are dead) and I'm desperate...  please?