Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 07:11:24 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854171 times)  Share 

Elizawei

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1170 on: May 30, 2016, 06:09:21 pm »
Hey guys,

does these sentences make sense? Like is there any syntax/grammatical errors here?

By unleashing its power, the ubiquitous Church is able to silence Galileo. Ostensibly, this may appear as the resolution of the conflict, however the internal conflict within Galileo is never resolved.

ATAR: 99.70
2017-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2020-2023: Melbourne MD

Founder of Folding Our Futures
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Offering  Chemistry/Bio 3/4 tutoring for 2019! [raw 49, 47] PM me if interested :)

reachfortheatars

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1171 on: May 30, 2016, 06:19:54 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

does these sentences make sense? Like is there any syntax/grammatical errors here?

It seems like you have a tautology with "ostensibly"/"this may appear". I'd say leave out "ostensibly" - the sentence still sounds fine. I'm not sure about the comma after "by unleashing its ubiquitous power", but I think it'll be fine if you leave it.

Elizawei

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #1172 on: May 30, 2016, 06:48:34 pm »
It seems like you have a tautology with "ostensibly"/"this may appear". I'd say leave out "ostensibly" - the sentence still sounds fine. I'm not sure about the comma after "by unleashing its ubiquitous power", but I think it'll be fine if you leave it.

Thanks! :D
ATAR: 99.70
2017-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2020-2023: Melbourne MD

Founder of Folding Our Futures
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Offering  Chemistry/Bio 3/4 tutoring for 2019! [raw 49, 47] PM me if interested :)

reachfortheatars

• Adventurer
  • School: school
« Reply #1173 on: May 30, 2016, 07:26:49 pm »
no worries  :)

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2

rosemaria20

• Trailblazer
  • School: Notre Dame College
« Reply #1175 on: May 31, 2016, 05:38:32 pm »
Hi Guys, :)
I'm studying Every man in this village is a liar by Megan Stack
"Individuals who are faced with conflict are forever shaped by their experience” is an essay topic we were given.
If I was to write an expository essay what ideas could I use?
Thanks in advance

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #1176 on: June 02, 2016, 02:05:55 pm »
Hi
I have a question, just had my language analysis sac today session 2 today and the article that was given was dated in 2012 but my school changed it to 2015, are they allowed to do that?

Cowboy

« Reply #1177 on: June 02, 2016, 02:35:17 pm »
Hi
I have a question, just had my language analysis sac today session 2 today and the article that was given was dated in 2012 but my school changed it to 2015, are they allowed to do that?

Yeah. The article can be manipulated, created, changed.

I heard that VCAA creates its own articles so they dont have problems with copyright. If exams can have 'made up' articles then i dont see why a school cant just change a date on an actual article.

NerdyPi

« Reply #1178 on: June 02, 2016, 03:56:12 pm »
Hey guys, so I had my language analysis SAC today, and after I got home I (stupidly) looked up the article to reread/attempt to predict my score. Anyway, I realized that I completely misunderstood the contention of one of the comments :( (4 were included in the SAC). The only thing I really said about this particular comment was that it supported and added to the original articles contention... Does anyone know how badly this will affect my score, or how many marks (out of 20) I'd lose for this :( If it helps, I had 4 main body paragraphs, 3 of which focused solely on the article, and the last about the comments (but my main analysis was for a different comment).

Thanks for any ideas...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:57:44 pm by NerdyPi »

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1179 on: June 02, 2016, 04:12:42 pm »
Hi

My school did this for one of our practices. It was so glaringly obvious too because it referred to an event that happened in 2013 as something that happened "last week". I have no idea if it's okay for an actual SAC though...

Hey guys, so I had my language analysis SAC today, and after I got home I (stupidly) looked up the article to reread/attempt to predict my score. Anyway, I realized that I completely misunderstood the contention of one of the comments :( (4 were included in the SAC). The only thing I really said about this particular comment was that it supported and added to the original articles contention... Does anyone know how badly this will affect my score, or how many marks (out of 20) I'd lose for this :( If it helps, I had 4 main body paragraphs, 3 of which focused solely on the article, and the last about the comments (but my main analysis was for a different comment).

How badly did you misconstrue it? Was it like the comment was actually completely mocking the original article and you said it was supporting the article or....? Ultimately, it's up to your marker (it is, after all, an internal assessment)... just don't do it for the exam. If it's any consolation: your essay will be marked holistically so if the rest of your essay is a-okay than you screwing up the contention of one eensy comment shouldn't adversely affect your mark from like a 19 or 20 out of 20 to a 1 out of 20.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:16:21 pm by HopefulLawStudent »

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #1180 on: June 02, 2016, 04:28:17 pm »
Yeah. The article can be manipulated, created, changed.

I heard that VCAA creates its own articles so they dont have problems with copyright. If exams can have 'made up' articles then i dont see why a school cant just change a date on an actual article.
Actually yes they do.
They once modified a piece to make it worse than it actually was and the person who wrote the piece complained (I think there was some legal action but I don't know with certainty so i wont say there were)
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #1181 on: June 02, 2016, 04:48:19 pm »
^My brother sat that exam, lol. It was the 2011 English exam with some article about tattoos which you could find with some googling. I don't think you can even access the LA part of it from the VCAA website, though.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #1182 on: June 02, 2016, 04:50:53 pm »
+1
Hi Guys
what type of article is this? is it a editorial, opinion piece or something?
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifestyle/health/body-soul-daily/bree-warren-australian-model-sparks-plussize-debate-over-what-is-normal/news-story/97f2d6cc893ab7daa129bb84235e8618
I'd probably call this an opinion piece, since editorials have to be written by the editor of a publication, and this is written by someone called Lizza Gebilagin, who isn't the editor of The Daily Tele.

Hi Guys, :)
I'm studying Every man in this village is a liar by Megan Stack
"Individuals who are faced with conflict are forever shaped by their experience” is an essay topic we were given.
If I was to write an expository essay what ideas could I use?
Thanks in advance

Are you looking for examples from your set text, or external evidence?

Hi
Technically they're not meant to do this...

From the SD:

However, it is common practice at a lot of schools, (and even more technically, that excerpt of the SD is structurally ambiguous, since it might be saying 'schools have to choose articles that have been in the media since Sept. 1' OR 'schools have to choose articles about an issue, and that issue has to have been in the media since Sept. 1') so I doubt there's much you can do. Unless it was about an issue that was totally out of date and therefore confusing, hopefully it won't have mattered too much anyway.

Actually yes they do.
They once modified a piece to make it worse than it actually was and the person who wrote the piece complained (I think there was some legal action but I don't know with certainty so i wont say there were)
Yeah, they totally got sued back in 2011, which is why you can't view the Section C of that year, and they didn't even publish any samples in the Assessor's Report :P :P

(you can view it here though, if you want to see how atrocious it was. Awfully condescending tone they used, and the contention is all over the place imo)

Long story short, yes, they modified an existing article by a lady called Helen Razer, changed her name to Helen Day, and thought that'd be enough to cover their tracks. But a bunch of bitter kids from that year level found the original article and sent a bunch of hate mail to the author (WHY'D YOU WRITE SUCH A DIFFICULT PIECE YOU @#S@#%$) and made a fb page called 'Getting a tattoo just to spite Helen' or something along those lines, which I actually found quite funny. The author then contacted VCAA to ask why so many grumpy Year 12s were taking out their frustrations on her, and they had to issue an apology.

But since that whole debacle, they've just written original pieces, as Cowboy pointed out.
(...or maybe they've just been more covert in their plagiarism :P)

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #1183 on: June 02, 2016, 06:15:46 pm »
I'd probably call this an opinion piece, since editorials have to be written by the editor of a publication, and this is written by someone called Lizza Gebilagin, who isn't the editor of The Daily Tele.

Are you looking for examples from your set text, or external evidence?
Technically they're not meant to do this...

From the SD:
(Image removed from quote.)

However, it is common practice at a lot of schools, (and even more technically, that excerpt of the SD is structurally ambiguous, since it might be saying 'schools have to choose articles that have been in the media since Sept. 1' OR 'schools have to choose articles about an issue, and that issue has to have been in the media since Sept. 1') so I doubt there's much you can do. Unless it was about an issue that was totally out of date and therefore confusing, hopefully it won't have mattered too much anyway.
Yeah, they totally got sued back in 2011, which is why you can't view the Section C of that year, and they didn't even publish any samples in the Assessor's Report :P :P

(you can view it here though, if you want to see how atrocious it was. Awfully condescending tone they used, and the contention is all over the place imo)

Long story short, yes, they modified an existing article by a lady called Helen Razer, changed her name to Helen Day, and thought that'd be enough to cover their tracks. But a bunch of bitter kids from that year level found the original article and sent a bunch of hate mail to the author (WHY'D YOU WRITE SUCH A DIFFICULT PIECE YOU @#S@#%$) and made a fb page called 'Getting a tattoo just to spite Helen' or something along those lines, which I actually found quite funny. The author then contacted VCAA to ask why so many grumpy Year 12s were taking out their frustrations on her, and they had to issue an apology.

But since that whole debacle, they've just written original pieces, as Cowboy pointed out.
(...or maybe they've just been more covert in their plagiarism :P)
Oh I didn't know about this, but Thankyou everyone for the clarification because I went home and searched up the article and I was like why is it dated 2015 when the actually article was written in 2012. However it does relate to article A which was ' baby's gender should be a choice' by Rita Panahi. Also another question,is this an Australian article or not because this was article B?
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/ellenpainterdollar/2012/09/why-allowing-parents-to-choose-their-babys-gender-is-wrong/

Gogo14

• Forum Obsessive
  • when life gives you lemons... takeum and shareum
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1184 on: June 03, 2016, 12:29:45 pm »
Confused on how to structure the body paragraphs for lang analysis. How do you organise the paragraphs? Do you split each by grouping the metalanguage?Chronological progression?tone changes?

Also, would you include the analysis of the image as a separate paragraph or incorporate bits of them into other body paragraphs?
Thnx
2016: Bio[45]
2017: Eng[43];Chem[47];Methods[49];Spesh[46];Physics[44]
2018+: B-Biomed @unimelb

PM if want help/advice | VCE tutoring available too- just PM