Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 07:30:34 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854180 times)  Share 

YellowTongue

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "With God all things are possible" Mt 19:26
  • Respect: +6
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1305 on: August 04, 2016, 03:15:28 pm »
I had my context SAC this afternoon, and I used the word "confragrative" in my piece. I now realise that what I meant to use was "confragrant", as I'm not entirely sure if "confragrative" is actually a word. How screwed am I???  :'(
"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain" Psalm 127:1a

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #1306 on: August 04, 2016, 04:08:44 pm »
+2
I had my context SAC this afternoon, and I used the word "confragrative" in my piece. I now realise that what I meant to use was "confragrant", as I'm not entirely sure if "confragrative" is actually a word. How screwed am I???  :'(

I'm sure that theyll let one word slip as long as the sentence still makes sense. I put "relevancies" in my exam and im pretty sure that isnt a word :P
So dont stress about it, it'll probably get circled but no marks deducted :)

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1307 on: August 05, 2016, 01:54:20 pm »
You can always tell when a SAC is coming up with me... I may or may not have started reading the dictionary again... :P

He had hoped beyond hope that the world he had known growing up was an accurate microcosm of what the world beyond his house was like.

Have I used "microcosm" correctly?

oooo

« Reply #1308 on: August 05, 2016, 02:50:57 pm »
Conclusions and linking sentences; how do I write them? :( For conclusions, I've been taught to 'go backwards'; starting with my 3rd argument, 2nd argument, 1st argument, contention then the "big idea". I don't get this method, can someone please explain it to me (with examples please if not too much of a hassle), or if possible, a better approach. Also, with the linking sentences, do I link it more directly to the prompt or my contention? 

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1309 on: August 05, 2016, 06:48:47 pm »
+3
Conclusions and linking sentences; how do I write them? :( For conclusions, I've been taught to 'go backwards'; starting with my 3rd argument, 2nd argument, 1st argument, contention then the "big idea". I don't get this method, can someone please explain it to me (with examples please if not too much of a hassle), or if possible, a better approach. Also, with the linking sentences, do I link it more directly to the prompt or my contention? 
Hey,
Hopefully, I can help a bit
You can go backwards or forwards, I would just recommend that it is in an order. I generally go forwards, like I re-state first body paragraph, then second, then third, fourth etc. Conclusions are the opposite of introductions; so in an introduction, you would start broad then narrow in on what you are going to be talking about, in the conclusion start narrow (this is where you re-hash your essay) then build up to the broad part towards the ending.
Here is one of my essays about generic conventions and The Great Gatsby

The Intro:
Set during the post World War 1 economic boom of the 1920’s, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel, The Great Gatsby (1926), is often referred to as a chronicle of the American Dream, exploring a point of the nation’s history when capitalism and economic opportunity for all was at it’s peak. The Great American Dream incorporated the belief that anyone, regardless of where they were born, could obtain prosperity and success. Deep-rooted in the Declaration of Independence, the American Dream was the proclamation that ‘all men are equal’, with full right to ‘life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.’ Perhaps one the best works of literature, representing the American Dream is The Great Gatsby. Throughout the novel, Fitzgerald contextualizes a gripping antithesis regarding the Great American Dream, through a contrast and disclosure of societies key value systems, including the emphasis upon materialism and commodification. The Great Gatsby juxtaposes characters born in the upper echelons of society, with Myrtle and Gatsby, who attempt to transcend the class boundaries but ultimately become ‘incoherent failures’. The novel displays ‘how dreaming can be tainted by reality, and that if you don’t compromise, you may suffer’(Azar Nifisi). Fitzgerald’s text exposes the key value systems prevalent within society through an adaption of generic conventions, reflecting the misery of a modern capitalist society.

The essay question was Examine the ways in which writers shape and adapt generic conventions to reflect and expose particular value systems. In your response, you must make reference to at least one literary text. So I start out just talking about the novel, where it was set, and just establish the context of the value system I'm going to talk about...It is only at the very ending sentence that I introduce the idea of generic conventions. So start out broad, give the reader some background. Always remember that your essay and more importantly the into should be structured in a way that someone who has never read the book can understand it...so your intro needs a lot of context...
then the conclusion for it was:
Fitzgerald exposes, through an accentuation of the generic conventions of characterisation, language, setting and dialogue; that American society within the 20th century was manifested with the value system of commodification, driven by the want for a materialistic lifestyle. Fitzgerald highlights this through a ridicule of the values of the American Dream and the resultant effects upon those who followed its incorporated concepts. Both Myrtle and Gatsby, the two characters’ striving for the attainment of the American dream suffered the severe consequence of death. In the end, Gatsby never attains ‘the green light, and the orgastic future’, despite believing in it even when it ‘eluded’ and ‘receded before [him]’. Thus, through the medium of The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald reflects upon the American dream as unattainable and an empty promise of happiness. Despite this, society within and beyond the 20th century, places great emphasis upon materialistic wealth and commodification, a value system that is to this day, timeless. ‘That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you are not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong.’ (Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald).   

With this, unlike the intro, I went straight into what was being discussed in the essay and addressed the question. I really think the topic sentence of your introduction needs to address the question and answer it. So I re-stated all of the generic conventions that I discussed. Then I restate my thesis statement/essay question...and gradually build up to a really broad idea...going from talking about one text and at the end getting a quote upon literary texts as a whole from the author :)
That is kind of what they mean by go backwards or forwards, the first generic convention I mention in my conclusion was characterisation, which was my first body paragraph. Then the second I mention was language, which was my second body paragraph...and so on and so forth...

With linking sentences, I would say both...Your contention is pretty much the prompt isn't in..just a disagreement. Since you are arguing your contention, I would focus more on that. So really the last thing you should be leaving your audience with is what you are arguing :) So the thesis statement :)

I hope this helped :)
If not, just let me know and I'll expand some more
2016: Methods | Chem | Physics | Accounting | Literature

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #1310 on: August 06, 2016, 10:03:39 pm »
Hi everyone,

For the following essay prompt:

'What does 12 Angry Men and The Crucible suggest about the connection between fear and prejudice?'

How do I create a contention out of this? The texts explore this idea in multiple ways, therefore I am unsure about how I am supposed to construct my argument.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

oooo

« Reply #1311 on: August 06, 2016, 10:22:20 pm »
In text response essays, can I just plonk in a quote and not analyse it?

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1312 on: August 06, 2016, 11:31:51 pm »
+1
I would advise against that, like you can use it for evidence, but it doesn't really work if you don't explain it :)
2016: Methods | Chem | Physics | Accounting | Literature

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #1313 on: August 07, 2016, 07:59:21 am »
+3

Don't. There are very specific cases where this may be allowed (such as the conclusion written by mq123) but for the most part, this is not a good idea as it says to the assessors that you are just putting in example and can't analyse them in terms of the characterisation and themes of your text.

Instead, format it as quote/evidence, then followed by your analysis, which would show the assessors that you can use evidence to substantiate your contention or main idea of your text response essay.

Hope that helps.

oooo

« Reply #1314 on: August 09, 2016, 06:26:24 pm »
Another question (sorry :p): my teacher keeps on saying that my topic sentences sound more like headings/contentions than actual topic sentences. How can I fix this?

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1315 on: August 09, 2016, 08:09:50 pm »
+1
Another question (sorry :p): my teacher keeps on saying that my topic sentences sound more like headings/contentions than actual topic sentences. How can I fix this?

First of all, determine what your contention is. Your contention is generally about whether you agree with the topic or not. Do not talk about any sub-arguments here in your contention.

Now that you've determined whether you agree with the topic or not, now, you need to say outline each of your 3 - 4 reasons into one sentence each. These are your actual topic sentences.

You contention sentence is you broader argument. That is, whether you agree with the topic for not. State what you think of the topic bluntly. Make sure you adhere to the prompt (or else lose marks).

However, can you please post your specific sentences which your teacher has commented about? It would really make it easier for us to help you, as I am finding it quite difficult to give a specific answer to your question. That being said, just take my words above as I had done my best to answer your question, which I hope helps you.

oooo

« Reply #1316 on: August 09, 2016, 08:19:08 pm »
First of all, determine what your contention is. Your contention is generally about whether you agree with the topic or not. Do not talk about any sub-arguments here in your contention.

Now that you've determined whether you agree with the topic or not, now, you need to say outline each of your 3 - 4 reasons into one sentence each. These are your actual topic sentences.

You contention sentence is you broader argument. That is, whether you agree with the topic for not. State what you think of the topic bluntly. Make sure you adhere to the prompt (or else lose marks).

However, can you please post your specific sentences which your teacher has commented about? It would really make it easier for us to help you, as I am finding it quite difficult to give a specific answer to your question. That being said, just take my words above as I had done my best to answer your question, which I hope helps you.

Here's an example: Malouf presents stories with an ability to transcend both time and space. I think my teacher has a problem with how I express it, it seems a bit blunt and like a single contention on its own. But then again I'm not too sure..
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 08:23:58 pm by oooo »

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1317 on: August 09, 2016, 09:05:45 pm »
+1
Here's an example: Malouf presents stories with an ability to transcend both time and space. I think my teacher has a problem with how I express it, it seems a bit blunt and like a single contention on its own. But then again I'm not too sure..

Actually, I do agree with your teacher. That sentence of "Malouf presents stories with an ability to transcends both time and space." is too broad, such that it can be a contention on it own. Instead of that, you may use a method (in summary, the detail should be in the subsequence sentences, not your topic sentences). 

I suggest you use:
"Malouf presents stories with an ability to transcend both time and space by _______." Or "By ________ Malouf presents stories with an ability to transcend both time and space."

All you have to do is to add in the method in which this is done. However, I am aware there are other ways, in which this can be done, but I am personally not familiar with them. So I think it's better to leave to others here. You just have to narrow down, and be more specific in this particular sentence.

blacksanta62

• Forum Leader
  • "Anything is possible"-KG
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1318 on: August 15, 2016, 09:40:57 pm »
Yo guys, I have a 3 hour practice English exam tomorrow and I've forgotten how to deconstruct prompts for a text response. It was sprung on us last week on Thurs so there hasn't been much time for practice.

Could anyone refresh my memory (it's been a good 6 months) on how I should attack the prompt and what the point of a text response is. I know it sounds like a joke but this is a serious question.

Thank you :)
2016:
Spesh | Methods CAS | Chem | Bio | Eng |

2018-2020:
BSc @ UoM

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1319 on: August 16, 2016, 11:00:52 am »
+2
Yo guys, I have a 3 hour practice English exam tomorrow and I've forgotten how to deconstruct prompts for a text response. It was sprung on us last week on Thurs so there hasn't been much time for practice.

Could anyone refresh my memory (it's been a good 6 months) on how I should attack the prompt and what the point of a text response is. I know it sounds like a joke but this is a serious question.

Thank you :)

To answer your question, have you downloaded Lauren's Lecture slides? The most helpful pages in terms of answering prompts are from pages 4 - 12 of these notes. If you can't get these notes then:

1. Make sure you understand the prompt. Perhaps reword the prompt so that you do understand it.
2. Pick out the key words of the prompt. The prompt "This text is about Agnes being restored to humanity. Discuss" has the key words of Humanity and the concept of being restored.
3. Define your Key words. Ask "what do you mean by humanity?"
4. Ask questions. Take the same prompt I took about Burial Rites. You could ask "How is Agnes being restored to humanity?, and "What does the author say about humanity?"
5. Construct a stance. Do not either fully agree or fully disagree with the prompt. And do not sit on the fence. Just construct a mostly agree or a mostly disagree stance.

A bit long, but I hope that helps. And the lecture slides should help too.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:04:16 am by FallingStar »