Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 01:26:41 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854280 times)  Share 

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1500 on: October 24, 2016, 02:57:23 pm »
+1
You have more leeway for prompts like that.

But I think, so long as you mention the other characters you should be set.

e.g.:

1. Medea presents herself as the victim at the beginning of the play.
wailing to the Chorus

2. And to some extent, yeah, she is the victim, due to the actions of Jason and the patriarchal world she lives in.
Talk about Jason's actions here, plus maybe the actions of Aegeus to exile her despite the fact that she's done nothing wrong

3. But her status as a victim is undermined by her actions over the course of the play.
By her actions onto Jason, Glauce, Aegeus

4. Thus, ultimately, the true victim of the play is not Medea, it is her sons.
Talk about M and sons

^^ You wouldn't just be talking about Medea in 1000 words using that.

I think that that counts as "not basing your essay on the main bitch" ahaha
Aha, yeah that's one way to do it.
I'd frame your arguments in a diff way though, coz the topic is a "do you agree" so you can challenge it.
i'd go 1. Medea suffers at the hands of men and their pursuit of reputation or w/e
2. As a result, Medea is corners and ends up causing suffering upon others (my T.S would be broader than that)
3. Ultimately, It's the men who made Medea suffer who ended up being the victims(worded more nicely)

Do you see how this allows for a discussion about a different person entirely? So all the side hoes get a mention, - coz all though they aint the main bitch they are still valuable hoes to the main hoe you feel? Like if i had to class them I'd go with 'partial main hoes' coz they are significant in the play.
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #1501 on: October 24, 2016, 03:09:31 pm »
+3
Eve Harrington is egotistical. Discuss.

a) This is waaaay too specific to be VCAA-esque, right?
b) How is Eve egotistical anyway?

How would I qualify/challenge this prompt? How would I even break down this prompt?

If I broke it down like this:
1. Egotism is a trait of the theatre; can lead to success.
2. But it doesn't necessarily = success
3. Ambition is also a thing in the theatre; can lead to success.
4. But it doesn't necessarily = success either.
Conclusion: Ultimately, egotism and ambition don't necessarily = success; they are not the "only values that count". Interpersonal relationships count more, as shown through M

^^Would that count as sufficient exploration of the prompt?
I'd say they'd be more likely to give you something like 'We cannot sympathise with Even because she is so egotistical. Discuss.' but that's basically paraphrasing the 2014 i. prompt: i. It is Eve's ruthless pursuit of ambition that leads us to dislike her. Do you agree?

So that specific concept/ combination of character+theme+message is unlikely to crop up again. Nevertheless, the breakdown that you've done here is really solid, and would definitely suffice provided that the majority of your discussion centred around Eve since she's obviously meant to be the focus in this case.

with regards to films in text response, it is advisable to prefer/use more cinematic , film based techniques that the author used (not being prompt specific) or stick with regular examples/quotes? ive been told its better to focus on the film techniques for films.. but i am not sure.. ty!
The most impressive thing you can do would be to combine your discussion of cinematic devices WITH 'regular examples' and quotes. Blending the two is something only high range essays tend to showcase, so it's a great way of standing out. Otherwise, if you're only ever talking about quotes or camera angles but can't comment on how they work in tandem to create ideas, it can be tough for the assessors to piece things together for you :P

Yo Just keep in mind that you can't just base your essay on the main bitch. You got other hoes you gotta discuss
Excuse you. Glauce is a nice lady. How dare you besmirch her name.

+100

;D ;D ;D

Now let's see if we can crack 100,000 views by Wednesday ;)

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1502 on: October 24, 2016, 03:53:10 pm »
AAE highlights the neverending judgement on what it means to be a woman. Discuss.

How would you break down this topic? Legit, I have no idea what to do with it...

EDIT: On second thought, what's this topic even saying??
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:59:53 pm by HopefulLawStudent »

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1503 on: October 24, 2016, 04:07:46 pm »
'The most impressive thing you can do would be to combine your discussion of cinematic devices WITH 'regular examples' and quotes. Blending the two is something only high range essays tend to showcase, so it's a great way of standing out. Otherwise, if you're only ever talking about quotes or camera angles but can't comment on how they work in tandem to create ideas, it can be tough for the assessors to piece things together for you :P'
how do i really do that effectively xD :/
i was thinking, very vaguely- 'Perkins' use of extreme close-up on Eddie's facial features demonstrates the anger and disappointment he experienced following the result of the initial Supreme Court trial, as a result of his passion, pride and desperation to maintain cultural ties to both himself and his people, in endeavouring to provide a substantiated argument against the rigid, ever present racism and discrimination present in the film, forcing Eddie to be nothing but "a trouble maker.." - allowing Perkins' to instill the erratic decisions Eddie had to make...

does that even make sense :'(

also- my teacher practically yelled at me for not having an 'obvious' resolution to one of my conflict pieces (the piece called 'The Journey' on the submissions thread)- but in that particular essay (prompt: there are no winners on conflict or something like that) , i thought i addressed the criterion for the essay :/
excerpt of what my teacher said- You need resolution at the end even if it means giving up and facing death. What you wrote  seems confusing. What do you have and will you hang on to that expecting nothing more out of life? Because that is all you can do ?
Is this short term resolution?
What about long term?

>criticizes my essay for their vague nature
>gives me vague feedback in response to like 3 essays *cries*

edit: context piece i was talking about haha! Conflict piece- advice would be appreciated :)
THANK YOU SO MUCH LAUREN (or whoever else replies <3)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 04:17:11 pm by HasibA »
Uni and life

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #1504 on: October 24, 2016, 04:10:32 pm »
+1

"How do women in the film defy/adhere to the 1950s feminine idea?"
How would I qualify/challenge this prompt? How would I even break down this prompt?

This is my opinion, but I'll go for different approaches:
Approach one: Literally a method per paragraph:
 - Adhere by Becoming housewives
 - Adhere by being obedient to men
 - Defy by having a career outside the house
(You get the idea. even though they're not my best ideas)

Approach two: Grouped methods
Para 1: How women adhere to the 1950s ideals
Para 2: How women defy the 1950s ideals
Para 3: What does the film say about these ideals.

Bear in mind that characters of All About Eve are multidimensional, in which case some may adhere or defy more than others, yet they are mostly a combination of adherence and defiance. It may seem that Karen is adhering to the ideals but keep in mind she is very well educated (went to Radcliffe Univeristy) which does defy the 1950s ideals (only 1.2% of women went to uni). And Miss Casswell has most of the ideals apart from being married.

Manige123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Gleneagles Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1505 on: October 24, 2016, 04:11:40 pm »
Can someone please help!! When looking at conflict, what are some external examples to look at when looking at intellectual/internal conflict?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1506 on: October 24, 2016, 05:18:19 pm »
+3
AAE highlights the neverending judgement on what it means to be a woman. Discuss.
How would you break down this prompt? Legit, I have no idea what to do with it...

"neverending" ??? ???

I'd simplify this to 'Discuss the judgement that the women in AAE face' or something like that... idk how the hell you'd argue it's 'neverending,' especially because the film kind of hints at the idea that the characters can break free of this... unless you read into the cyclical Margo-->Eve--->Phoebe thing and see that as indicative of the systemic judgement and 'shelf-life' of women in the public eye. But yeah. treating this as a prompt about the role of women in relation to judgement/prejudice would suffice.

The most impressive thing you can do would be to combine your discussion of cinematic devices WITH 'regular examples' and quotes. Blending the two is something only high range essays tend to showcase, so it's a great way of standing out. Otherwise, if you're only ever talking about quotes or camera angles but can't comment on how they work in tandem to create ideas, it can be tough for the assessors to piece things together for you :P'
how do i really do that effectively xD :/
blah blah blah here's a discussion about a point in the film where the character says "I really want to fight against injustice." The fact that this is accompanied by the inspirational digetic sound of other characters cheering, and a slow panning shot of the smiles of the crowd amplifies the message that... blah blah blah link to a bigger idea.
i was thinking, very vaguely- 'Perkins' use of extreme close-up on Eddie's facial features demonstrates the anger and disappointment he experienced following the result of the initial Supreme Court trial, as a result of his passion, pride and desperation to maintain cultural ties to both himself and his people, in endeavouring to provide a substantiated argument against the rigid, ever present racism and discrimination present in the film, forcing Eddie to be nothing but "a trouble maker.." - allowing Perkins' to instill the erratic decisions Eddie had to make...
This is also excellent; either order (quote + technique, or technique + quote) would be fine.

also- my teacher practically yelled at me for not having an 'obvious' resolution to one of my conflict pieces (the piece called 'The Journey' on the submissions thread)- but in that particular essay (prompt: there are no winners on conflict or something like that) , i thought i addressed the criterion for the essay :/
excerpt of what my teacher said- You need resolution at the end even if it means giving up and facing death. What you wrote  seems confusing. What do you have and will you hang on to that expecting nothing more out of life? Because that is all you can do ?
Is this short term resolution?
What about long term?

>criticizes my essay for their vague nature
>gives me vague feedback in response to like 3 essays *cries* hahaha, oh this brings back memories :'D

edit: context piece i was talking about haha! Conflict piece- advice would be appreciated :)
THANK YOU SO MUCH LAUREN (or whoever else replies <3)
Will get round to all the as-yet-unmarked pieces on the Subs board soon!

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1507 on: October 24, 2016, 05:26:27 pm »
thanks a tonne lauren <3
my saviour in english tbh !!
Uni and life

nadiaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #1508 on: October 24, 2016, 05:29:27 pm »
Reading my corrections for my context essay by my teacher and all she said was 'Go deeper with the ideas you're discussing'
Like um lady its like 1 day before the exam and youre telling me this now.. Guys how do we go deeper? Like what should i  do to make my examples more complex? #Stressed

MaeveHuxtable

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1509 on: October 24, 2016, 05:34:40 pm »
Hey Lauren!
I'm wondering with an expository essay, should I signpost what external texts I'm going to talk about in my body paragraphs, in my introduction? I've received heaps of mixed messages about this. Some people say have the intro very broad and not mention the body paragraphs and then have my body paragraphs start off as "In Plato's allegory of the cave...".
How do you suggest I structure my intro?
Thanks!

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1510 on: October 24, 2016, 05:44:03 pm »
+2
Reading my corrections for my context essay by my teacher and all she said was 'Go deeper with the ideas you're discussing'
Like um lady its like 1 day before the exam and youre telling me this now.. Guys how do we go deeper? Like what should i  do to make my examples more complex? #Stressed
Hahaha, it kind of depends what sort of 'deeper' she's looking for. Did she say anything more than that? It might be an issue with your explanations (e.g. 'the character says "I can't believe this" which reveals their longing for home' ... that might be right, but there's not really enough discussion to warrant that conclusion, so that student would need to 'go deeper' with their explanations.) Or it might be that the discussion itself is lacking, so you've got an awesome collection of evidence in your essay, but you don't link it to the prompt effectively enough? Like, if you're ending paragraphs with examples, that's usually a hint that the connection to the Context hasn't yet been made clear.

As a general rule of thumb: think of it like writing for a five year old. They can follow your logic when you explain things to them, but they're not going to come to grand conclusions about reality/conflict/identity/etc. all on their own. YOU have to make that stuff clear, and take them through your train of thought step-by-step! :)

Hey Lauren!
I'm wondering with an expository essay, should I signpost what external texts I'm going to talk about in my body paragraphs, in my introduction? I've received heaps of mixed messages about this. Some people say have the intro very broad and not mention the body paragraphs and then have my body paragraphs start off as "In Plato's allegory of the cave...".
How do you suggest I structure my intro?
Thanks!
Signposting is completely optional in all essays. Some students like it because it gives them the clarity they need to get started with writing. Some teachers like it because it gives them an idea of what the piece will cover. Some students don't like it because they feel like it 'locks' them into talking about certain ideas/examples, and they might want the freedom to change their minds or their approach later. Some teachers don't like it because they think it's simplistic. So it's really up to you!

For Context, I'd say general introductions are best because it'll help you avoid the pitfall of writing very clunky signposts like 'Firstly... Secondly... Thirdly...' This can also let you do a bit of general discussion at the start of each paragraph so that you don't have to begin every single one with 'As this[/i] piece of evidence shows us...' Sometimes going back to the prompt and revisiting a general concern can be a useful way of launching yourself into your piece. Some of the samples here (scroll down!) might be worth a read if you're really unsure :)

pra96

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • IILAERNA-WLMKIOMN
« Reply #1511 on: October 24, 2016, 05:49:42 pm »
Hi guys,

Could someone please read my Medea essay. Thanks

Prompt: ‘Medea has no choice but to seek revenge.’ Do you agree?

Euripides’ ancient Greek tragedy Medea, follows the journey of its titular character as she seeks vengeance upon her husband. This desire for revenge stems from Medea’s hubristic and passionate nature, which dominates her actions. Further, the social injustice Medea receives as a “barbarous” woman forces her to seek justice by her own means. Similarly, Medea receives divine approval in her fight for justice as the Gods support her actions.

Medea’s emotional and excessively proud nature dominates her actions throughout the play. The Nurse highlights the sorrow that Medea suffers as she “dissolve[es] the long hours in tears”. Jason’s betrayal has “hurt her where her affection runs deepest”, which is her love for Jason. Thus her melancholic reaction to the news of Jason’s decision demonstrates her passionate nature. This sorrow transmutes into “fierce and intractable” hatred for Jason. Hence she has “fierc[e] anger… rag[ing] in place of dearest love” for Jason. Further, it is this transformation of affection that precipitates her plan to “deal Jason the deepest wound” by “reach[ing his] heart”. Therefore Medea passionate nature drives her to avenge her betrayal by killing the royal family and her own sons. Similarly, Medea’s hubris causes her to seek revenge. Having “the mind of a queen”, Medea doesn’t wish to face “the laughter of [her] enemies”. She cannot bear to be belittled by other people, even wishing death on her sons rather than to “leave sons of [hers] behind for [her] enemies to insult”. Thus Medea has excessive pride, for which reason she cannot let her betrayal be forgotten easily. Subsequently, she is compelled to “punish [her] enemies” in order to defend this pride. Thus her actions are controlled by her emotion and pride. Therefore Medea’s hubristic and passionate nature causes her to seek revenge on Jason.

Society’s treatment of Medea forces her to deal justice on her own. The patriarchal society that Euripides portrays in Medea gives little heed to her problems. Society views women with intelligence as “ignorant”, disliking such a trait in women. Thus Medea is viewed as an “evil woman” because of her intelligence and her skill in magic. Creon views Medea as a threat for these reasons, which is why he decides to exile her from Corinth. Furthermore, women in ancient Greek society have no rights in marriage as they are “forced to look to one man only”, expected to be obedient and “yield to” their husbands. Jason’s misogynistic opinion that “without women, human life would be rid of its miseries” echoes the misogyny in ancient Greek society. Thus Medea is not taken seriously, for which reason she is unable to find justice in the eyes of society. Medea instead proves herself as “of a different kind”, contrary to the social perception that women are “weak… humble [and] passive”. She wishes to stand up for herself, as well as for the other oppressed women in Greek society. Similarly, Medea’s position as a “barbarous” woman leads to her unfair treatment in Corinth. Jason rebukes Medea after the death of his sons, believing that a “Hellene woman” would not have done as she did. Medea is viewed as an outsider by Greek society, for which reason Creon exiles her without protest. She therefore has fewer rights than a Greek citizen. Thus the perception that society has of Medea prevents her from receiving justice. Hence Medea is forced to deal justice herself.

The gods approve of Medea’s actions, supposedly sympathizing with her as they help her in her pursuit of justice. Medea constantly calls on the gods to help her in the midst of her troubles. She “invokes Themis” and “Zeus who is named keeper of men’s oaths”. Medea calls on “the mighty Sun” her grandfather. Thus she seeks divine justice while she may not have social justice. As events unfold, Medea has her desires fulfilled as “the will of heaven brings down on Jason justice and calamity”. Thus it is evident that the gods approve of Medea’s actions, especially as they do not protect those she seeks to harm. This is further evident in the end as Helios sends Medea a dragon chariot to “keep [her] from the hands of her enemies”. Hence the gods, being absolute symbols and dispensers of justice, vindicate Medea. Their approval of her fight for justice does not give her a choice; it merely encourages her course of action, as she must ultimately deal it herself. It is thus that her actions were pre-ordained, “many are the fates which Zeus on Olympus ordains”, giving her no choice in her fate. Thus it is ultimately not up to Medea to seek revenge, for the gods had “set her course” beforehand. Therefore Medea’s battle for revenge was pre-ordained by the gods, giving her no other choice.

The hubristic and emotional nature of Medea causes her to seek vengeance for her betrayal by Jason. Similarly, the societal injustice that she receives, stemming from society’s perceptions of her, gives Medea no choice but to seek revenge. Further, Medea’s journey to seek revenge on Jason was pre-ordained by Zeus, thus not giving her a choice.
2015- Biology [41]  2016 goals- [45+] PCSME

jacquic

• Adventurer
« Reply #1512 on: October 24, 2016, 05:52:46 pm »
Hello,
Could someone please help me with this Brooklyn prompt?

Toibin resists offering readers a simply uplifting story but provides a more complex portrait of his protagonist, Eilis Lacey. Discuss.

What paragraphs would you do for a prompt like this?
Thanks heaps

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1513 on: October 24, 2016, 06:00:40 pm »
Hey pra96,

I've moved your essay to the Submissions Board and I'm working through those pieces now, so should get to yours soon! :)

Hello,
Could someone please help me with this Brooklyn prompt?

Toibin resists offering readers a simply uplifting story but provides a more complex portrait of his protagonist, Eilis Lacey. Discuss.

What paragraphs would you do for a prompt like this?
Thanks heaps
Hey jacquic,

There's no definitive right answer when it comes to paragraph structure; it's all about breaking down the prompt in a way that lets you discuss the text effectively. So if we were to simplify this prompt down to 'Brooklyn isn't a basic, happy story, and Eilis is portrayed as a complex character' does that seem any easier?

Either think ahead to the kinds of evidence you might bring up (e.g. Rosy dying = not uplifting; Eilis' relationship with Ireland/America = complex) so that you can start grouping your examples into paragraphs... OR... start with the prompt itself and think about how you could link it to your interpretation of the novel and what you believe Toibin is saying overall.

If that still doesn't make sense, let me know what initial thoughts you had about the prompt or what about it you found challenging and I might be able to offer more assistance! :)

blacksanta62

• Forum Leader
  • "Anything is possible"-KG
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1514 on: October 24, 2016, 06:08:19 pm »
Can someone provide a strong way to integrate the author's views and values on certain themes?
Thank you :)
Bump :)
2016:
Spesh | Methods CAS | Chem | Bio | Eng |

2018-2020:
BSc @ UoM