Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 09:28:18 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854224 times)  Share 

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1515 on: October 24, 2016, 06:12:45 pm »
+3
Can someone provide a strong way to integrate the author's views and values on certain themes?
Thank you :)
Ah sorry - missed one!

Easiest way is to, at the ends of your paragraphs, have sentences like:
 • Therefore, the author highlights...
 • Thus, the text showcases...
 • To this end, The Text emphasises...
 • Ultimately, this forms part of the author's critique/celebration of...
 • Hence, the author suggests that...

^whereby you force yourself to zoom out and consider the implications. This is the case for any prompt type too - no matter how narrow or general it is, being about to get to the end of a discussion and say 'so basically, the author is conveying this idea' is immensely valuable!

purplegiraffe

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Catholic College Bendigo
« Reply #1516 on: October 24, 2016, 06:14:34 pm »
Hi :)
I'm really having trouble with preparing for context.
I've written creative pieces all year so I don't want to change 2 days before the exam.
Like should i have an idea of what I'll write about before i go into the exam? English isn't my strong suit.

I'm doing Encountering Conflict and my text is Life of Galileo

jacquic

• Adventurer
« Reply #1517 on: October 24, 2016, 06:21:22 pm »

Hey jacquic,
There's no definitive right answer when it comes to paragraph structure; it's all about breaking down the prompt in a way that lets you discuss the text effectively. So if we were to simplify this prompt down to 'Brooklyn isn't a basic, happy story, and Eilis is portrayed as a complex character' does that seem any easier?

Either think ahead to the kinds of evidence you might bring up (e.g. Rosy dying = not uplifting; Eilis' relationship with Ireland/America = complex) so that you can start grouping your examples into paragraphs... OR... start with the prompt itself and think about how you could link it to your interpretation of the novel and what you believe Toibin is saying overall.
If that still doesn't make sense, let me know what initial thoughts you had about the prompt or what about it you found challenging and I might be able to offer more assistance! :)
thanks lauren
I was mostly confused about what the prompt is asking. So is it basically asking why Toibin gives such deep descriptions and discussions about Eilis rather than an exhilarating novel? I wondered if you could discuss how Eilis transformations after migrating to Brooklyn and then all the sorrows that she suffers and the effects it has on her and finally the complexity of love in the novel?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1518 on: October 24, 2016, 06:23:01 pm »
Hi :)
I'm really having trouble with preparing for context.
I've written creative pieces all year so I don't want to change 2 days before the exam.
Like should i have an idea of what I'll write about before i go into the exam? English isn't my strong suit.

I'm doing Encountering Conflict and my text is Life of Galileo
Hi there!

If you go to the first page of this thread and click on the 'Context' tab, there'll be a bunch of links to previous questions and bits and pieces of advice that might help you out (sorry - your question was a little vague so I don't really know where to start!)

If you're writing creatively - I'm guessing some kind of narrative? - then having a rough idea of plot points and your narrative arc can be a good idea. Then, you just mould this to suit the prompt.

For example, if you were writing a short story about a scientist who makes a monumental discovery, but then experiences inner conflict because he/she is very apprehensive about the potential ramifications that this discovery will have on society (--> hence, link to LoG), then...
 • if the prompt is about the causes of conflict, then you'd spend more time talking about how the discovery affects your main character and why they are feeling so conflicted
 • if the prompt is about our response to conflict, then you'd focus more so on your character's reaction and deliberation
 • if the prompt is about the consequences of conflict, then you'd either have your character wonder what the consequences might be, or maybe actually show those consequences if you wanted to
 • if the prompt is about the resolution of conflict, then you'd spend more time towards the end of the narrative journey and flesh out how, if at all, your character tried to resolve that turmoil/clash of ideas etc.

So each time, you have the same rough idea of what needs to be covered, but you mix and match different focal points to suit the prompt.

Going through lists of past VCAA prompts (and just as many prompts as you can) would also be a good practice exercise for you to do tomorrow :)

thetaromochi

• Adventurer
« Reply #1519 on: October 24, 2016, 06:26:05 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm having a lot of trouble with this prompt for Whose Reality:
"An entertaining story is far more believable than the truth."

I can't seem to think of many external sources since I don't really agree with the prompt but I'm afraid that I might go off topic.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

sophieharper

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1520 on: October 24, 2016, 06:29:42 pm »
Hey guys last minute questions and I'm sure its irrelevant, but if we are faced with section c piece that has multiple comments even some one liners, should we analyse all of the comments or is just one enough???
thankssssss x

blacksanta62

• Forum Leader
  • "Anything is possible"-KG
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1521 on: October 24, 2016, 06:36:00 pm »
Ah sorry - missed one!

Easiest way is to, at the ends of your paragraphs, have sentences like:
 • Therefore, the author highlights...
 • Thus, the text showcases...
 • To this end, The Text emphasises...
 • Ultimately, this forms part of the author's critique/celebration of...
 • Hence, the author suggests that...

^whereby you force yourself to zoom out and consider the implications. This is the case for any prompt type too - no matter how narrow or general it is, being about to get to the end of a discussion and say 'so basically, the author is conveying this idea' is immensely valuable!
Amazing!
Would you (or anyone) have any suggestions for what to do now and tomorrow? I feel like writing any essays whatsoever would just add unecessary stress because they seem to require immense focus (more than any other subject imo)
2016:
Spesh | Methods CAS | Chem | Bio | Eng |

2018-2020:
BSc @ UoM

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #1522 on: October 24, 2016, 06:38:22 pm »
+1
Hi Lauren, i have a difficult time knowing whether i am retelling the story or analysing, here is an extract of my No Sugar essay,
"Davis’ choice to focus the title on sugar, and not the other rations denied, is not one with no basis. The audience is immediately introduced, act one, scene one, to the character’s attachment to sugar; “Sam Millimurra prepares mugs of tea, lacing them generously with sugar”. However the sugar ration is cut, “No sugar in our tea”, upon arrival at the Moore River Native Settlement. This signifies that the “sweet” and comfortable life the Millimurra family relished back home at Northam would end as a result of the dispossession to the settlement. In the final scene, scene ten, sugar is mentioned once more; “Milly gives Mary a sugar bag”. This mention is significant as Mary is leaving the Moore River settlement, along with her departure returns the saccharine life she was once accustomed to. Through the emphasis on ‘sugar’, Davis is able to shed light on the polarity of the two locations, and on how disagreeable the settlement is with the lifestyle of the Millimurra family"
Is this a good analysis or am i regurgitating the novel? (also feel free to add any extra feedback on this paragraph)
Thank you!
(this is a repost btw need to bump this, would really appreciate some last minute feedback)
2015: Further Mathematics
2016: English | Biology | Psychology | Health & Human Dev. | Text & Traditions
"verily with the hardship there is relief" – Quran 94:6

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1523 on: October 24, 2016, 06:39:10 pm »
is there a list of 'MUST-HAVES' for an introduction of a lang analysis?
i.e so far, i've got the authors contention, and accompanying pieces contentions, as well as any major tone/style incorporated in the piece(s)- and any image's contention/purpose, and main audience/readers - anything else i can add?

what about for lang analysis conclusions- all ive got is : summarise the main techniques author used, how they affected the audience, any major technique- if any- that was used and a subtle rehash of the author(s) main contentions.
anything else? ty guys <3
Uni and life

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1524 on: October 24, 2016, 06:40:32 pm »
+1
Hi Lauren, i have a difficult time knowing whether i am retelling the story or analysing, here is an extract of my No Sugar essay,
"Davis’ choice to focus the title on sugar, and not the other rations denied, is not one with no basis. double negative is a bit clunky here The audience is immediately introduced, act one, scene one, to the character’s attachment to sugar; “Sam Millimurra prepares mugs of tea, lacing them generously with sugar”. <-- this quote isn't really integrated However the sugar ration is cut, “No sugar in our tea”, upon arrival at the Moore River Native Settlement. This signifies that the “sweet” and comfortable life the Millimurra family relished back home at Northam would end as a result of the dispossession to the settlement. In the final scene, scene ten, sugar is mentioned once more; “Milly gives Mary a sugar bag”. This mention is significant as Mary is leaving the Moore River settlement, along with her departure returns the saccharine life she was once accustomed to. Through the emphasis on ‘sugar’, Davis is able to shed light on the polarity of the two locations, and on how disagreeable the settlement is with the lifestyle of the Millimurra family"
Is this a good analysis or am i regurgitating the novel? (also feel free to add any extra feedback on this paragraph)
Thank you!
Blue stuff is analytical, so I don't think there's too much summary, but I do think it'd be a lot stronger if your quotes were integrated (i.e. if your quotes fit your sentences like: 'In the final scene, this motif is seen once again when Milly gives Mary "a sugar bag" to symbolise the saccharine life she was once accustomed to...') That way, your slightly summative (non-blue) sentences can be made more analytical, and thus worth more marks! :)

thanks lauren
I was mostly confused about what the prompt is asking. So is it basically asking why Toibin gives such deep descriptions and discussions about Eilis rather than an exhilarating novel? I wondered if you could discuss how Eilis transformations after migrating to Brooklyn and then all the sorrows that she suffers and the effects it has on her and finally the complexity of love in the novel?
It's more like it's asking about why Eilis is emotionally complicated as opposed to constructing a novel where she's a beautiful flawless heroine who undergoes no difficulties and is totally 100% happy at the end. So why does Eilis have to/benefit from experiencing difficulty in her life, and what is Toibin saying about challenges/complexity etc.? So yes, you could absolutely talk about transformations, suffering, and relationships as a potential paragraph breakdown for this prompt :)

Hey guys last minute questions and I'm sure its irrelevant, but if we are faced with section c piece that has multiple comments even some one liners, should we analyse all of the comments or is just one enough???
thankssssss x
It's not at all irrelevant! And it's awesome to see people thinking ahead to potentially weird material that could crop up this year!

Golden rule re: comparative tasks or just plain weirdly structures:
Let the spread of your analysis reflect the spread of the material.

In other words, if you get, like 20 little comments in the exam and you only talk about, like 14, you'd probably  be okay. But if you got something like Exam 3 here and you completely ignored one of those authors, that might be a problem. If there's a part of the material or even an entire piece/comment that's only taking up a few lines, it's no big deal, but if it takes up nearly a whole page (like the 'comment' in 2015) then you'd definitely be expected to address it and you'd definitely be penalised if you didn't because you'd be ignoring half the material. Obvs aiming to say at least one thing about each text + visual would be great, but that may not be possible/realistic, so trust your intuitions and the golden rule above :)

Amazing!
Would you (or anyone) have any suggestions for what to do now and tomorrow? I feel like writing any essays whatsoever would just add unecessary stress because they seem to require immense focus (more than any other subject imo)
See: Boosting your mark in 48 hours :)

I might put together a little 'stuff to do on Tuesday' guide tonight too, just for all you diligent English kids out there ::)

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #1525 on: October 24, 2016, 06:47:47 pm »
Blue stuff is analytical, so I don't think there's too much summary, but I do think it'd be a lot stronger if your quotes were integrated (i.e. if your quotes fit your sentences like: 'In the final scene, this motif is seen once again when Milly gives Mary "a sugar bag" to symbolise the saccharine life she was once accustomed to...') That way, your slightly summative (non-blue) sentences can be made more analytical, and thus worth more marks! :)
Thank you Lauren! that was very helpful!! I will try to integrate the quotes better in the actual exam (fingers crossed)
2015: Further Mathematics
2016: English | Biology | Psychology | Health & Human Dev. | Text & Traditions
"verily with the hardship there is relief" – Quran 94:6

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1526 on: October 24, 2016, 06:47:55 pm »
is there a list of 'MUST-HAVES' for an introduction of a lang analysis?
i.e so far, i've got the authors contention, and accompanying pieces contentions, as well as any major tone/style incorporated in the piece(s)- and any image's contention/purpose, and main audience/readers - anything else i can add?

what about for lang analysis conclusions- all ive got is : summarise the main techniques author used, how they affected the audience, any major technique- if any- that was used and a subtle rehash of the author(s) main contentions.
anything else? ty guys <3
Intro:
1. CONTENTION(s) <--most important!
2. spark/issue <-- can make for a good opening sentence or half-sentence (e.g. 'Following the recent...' or 'In response to...')
3. tone, target audience <-- pretty optional, since it's more important to bring these up in your body paragraphs, and you don't have to do these for every piece if you don't want to

Concl:
1. Say something about the authors' use of language in general (e.g. 'By appealing to readers' sense of fear, the author seeks to... --> 2.')
2. Link this to the overall intended effect or the consequence the author hopes to bring about
3. Recap contentions, and end on a high note :)

That's pretty much it; there's a lot of optional peripheral stuff I haven't mentioned (like signposting sub-arguments) cause I reckon it's a waste of time. Cover ^those bases, and you should be all good!

knightrider

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1527 on: October 24, 2016, 06:52:45 pm »
Hey lauren just wanted your opinion on something.

for LA in my intros, i have just usually been doing a brief context sentence, followed by the contentions of the authors with their tones occasionally.

Then i move straight into my body paras is this fine ?

Thanks  :)

scandin9

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #1528 on: October 24, 2016, 06:52:57 pm »
Hi Lauren,

My teacher says that my creative context pieces do not meet the criteria for a link to the ideas of text; however, they fulfill all the other criterion to a 9 0r 10 standard; despite the fact that included 5 quotes from the text and discussed the ideas of the text and used them as a framework for the piece? She says that the ideas from the text are not discussed  in depth. Is my teacher correct or  is  the incorporation of quotes and a link to the ideas sufficient in terms of a link to the text?

mayonnaise

• Adventurer
« Reply #1529 on: October 24, 2016, 06:55:23 pm »
Hey!
So I was looking at some context essays on the submissions board and got super jealous of them cool titles they got there   8)
I know that it is completely optional, but is there any particular benefits to having a title for a creative piece ?